PDA

View Full Version : Really worried

Emily101115
27-08-17, 22:57
Laid in bed and I can't sleep I am so worried.I am so worried about Pancreatic cancer:(

I am 24 with 3 children.I do have health anxiety,I have been doing so well lately.i have lost 3 stone since January when I started the gym and following bits of slimming world.I lost my father in May which we had fallen out for years however we did make things before He passed away which was so suddenly and unexpectedly.I have not long been to he's inquest hearing.I have been feeling really anxious these past few weeks.I also lost my Mum when I was just 13 to breast cancer.I am quite stressed at the moment I seem to argue a lot with my partner and my daughter has learning difficulties so she needs my constant attention.

We have just got back from a 5 day break where I have had a few takeouts and drunk alcohol and I've not put any weight on!!

I've made quite a lot of diet changes but I'm worried my weight loss is due something else seriously wrong.As I am not always good I never seem to put any weight back on.

All I have done today is google my symptoms which has just fuelled my anxiety.My symptoms are
On and off pains in the top left of my stomach,sometimes going through to my back.
Occasionally oily stools that float and smell bad also constipation.
My sister said I have been really 'snappy' I have been low in mood.
Nauseous never vomiting.
Weight loss-I guess not unexplained as I have been working out and watching my calories.

Does anybody know what could be going on or what I should do? I'm in total panic mode.The thought of leaving my kids with out a mother terrifies me.

nomorepanic
27-08-17, 23:16
Why don't you see the doctor and print this off and take it to them - they can reassure you then?

Annaboodle
27-08-17, 23:18
Hi. Have you seen anyone who has lost weight from cancer? Whenever I have it's extremely dramatic and sudden weight loss - the person looks skeletal and it's a terrible shock when you see them. From what you've written I imagine you look healthy and toned from the healthy lifestyle changes you've made, would you say? Diet and exercise - of course you've lost 3 stone in 8 months or so. You've probably reduced your chances of getting a number of lifestyle cancers by the way. Speaking of which, you are 24. Of course you don't have pancreatic cancer. Please put your mind at rest - the average age is something like 71 or 72 (I forget, but something like that). Almost all cases are over the age of 45. There's just nothing to worry about here.

I understand the terrible fear of leaving your kids. My anxiety was at its worse when my eldest was a baby for that reason. Have you spoken to anyone professionally about this fear and about your health anxiety? The two were very much connected for me. x

Leah88
27-08-17, 23:43
I think health anxiety sufferers focus on pancreatic cancer because unlike a lot of other cancers it has bad outcomes. I too am scared of pancreatic cancer but it could be a lot of other things. Stomach ulcers, food intolerances, etc.

Emily101115
28-08-17, 08:35
Hi. Have you seen anyone who has lost weight from cancer? Whenever I have it's extremely dramatic and sudden weight loss - the person looks skeletal and it's a terrible shock when you see them. From what you've written I imagine you look healthy and toned from the healthy lifestyle changes you've made, would you say? Diet and exercise - of course you've lost 3 stone in 8 months or so. You've probably reduced your chances of getting a number of lifestyle cancers by the way. Speaking of which, you are 24. Of course you don't have pancreatic cancer. Please put your mind at rest - the average age is something like 71 or 72 (I forget, but something like that). Almost all cases are over the age of 45. There's just nothing to worry about here.

I understand the terrible fear of leaving your kids. My anxiety was at its worse when my eldest was a baby for that reason. Have you spoken to anyone professionally about this fear and about your health anxiety? The two were very much connected for me. x
Thank you for replying to me.I was ok with this weight loss until the other day when my daughters said to me you've lost a lot of weight!!

I was confused with when they say unintentional weight loss what the exactly meant.I feel so alone right now my sister just tells me to stop googling and take up reading,my partner just doesn't listen to me x

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 ----------

I think health anxiety sufferers focus on pancreatic cancer because unlike a lot of other cancers it has bad outcomes. I too am scared of pancreatic cancer but it could be a lot of other things. Stomach ulcers, food intolerances, etc.

I started with health anxiety 7 years ago after the birth of my first child.When I was younger I just to always worry about undercooked food but nothing as bad as this.

Over the years I have had cervical cancer,breast cancer,retinal detachment,ovarian cancer,skin cancer all of which have turned out to be harmless or nothing.My latest being pancreatic cancer,I'm sort of just clinging onto all the other times I have worried and I still here x

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------

Why don't you see the doctor and print this off and take it to them - they can reassure you then?

I think that would be a good idea!

Emily101115
29-08-17, 09:29
Still really worrying but I can't bring myself to phoning the doctors this morning

Munchlet
29-08-17, 13:28
Hi Emily

I really don't think you need to worry about pancreatic cancer you are so young.

You know why you have lost weight because you are leading a healthy lifestyle and that is good.

Also a very big reason for weight loss is stress. You might not think it but from what you have said you have a fair bit of stress in your life and you are also worrying about a disease which in itself is putting stress on you and that will be why you are not putting on weight.

I really struggle with my weight and find it hard to lose but a few years ago whilst waiting for a pelvic scan I lost 8lb in just over a week. It was nothing more than me stressing about having it done.

So I think you have plenty of reasons why you are losing weight and they don't point to anything sinister. Call the doctor they will be able to reassure you.

Fishmanpa
29-08-17, 14:30
Still really worrying but I can't bring myself to phoning the doctors this morning

You can phone the doctor is you want but your post actually explains everything. You're exercising and eating healthy so there's your weight loss. The rest can be attributed to the stress you're currently under.

The fear of leaving one's children is a common fear on the boards. The sad part about it is all the worrying you're doing is essentially taking you away from them anyway. Are you getting help for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts