PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety Realization

elysemarie123
28-08-17, 14:44
Good Morning everyone -- I had to travel to New York City this weekend for work and had about a three hour drive by myself which caused me to think about a lot of things.

Have you ever gotten to a point in your anxiety when you get so fed up and annoyed with it that it is possible to shut it off? I go through this every couple months or so where I am focusing on a symptom obsessively for a month, then I suddenly get sick of it (or bored idk) and am able to just let it go. I was driving and just had the realization that worrying is not going to stop something from happening, and that if something happens I will deal with it. I kept repeating that mantra over and over until I felt calm and I was able to enjoy my trip. Now the dragon that I was fighting is slowly retreating and I feel calmer and like I am able to finally relax.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, how do you make it happen sooner!? Why can't my mind realize this the second I develop a new symptom? Why do we go through these cycles?

nwoods92
28-08-17, 15:13
I get this, I will be fine for months and then my health anxiety comes back with a vengeance for a month or 2 then it just kinda disappears again. I'm always slightly anxious don't get me wrong but I only get these bad periods of health anxiety. Same as you one day I feel a little more chilled and it almost disappears and I'm fine again for a month or so crazy. Don't think there's a quicker way as I think certain triggers trigger us off and I don't know what mine are ! Then we have to ride the wave, but at least we know we will get to the point of not caring as much that's a positive in itself right?! Enjoy your trip and don't dwell on it and enjoy the relaxation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerError
28-08-17, 15:18
You can't do anything to just make it happen. However, with the right attitude, you can change your cognitive behaviour so that you take the sting out of your anxiety over time, and this can lead to complete freedom.

I feel, if you're looking to trigger that sudden moment where you've had enough and you get some temporary relief, you're looking in the wrong direction. You should seek, and work towards, complete recovery. Why aim for anything less?

Don't worry about "why" these cycles happen. They happen because you're an anxiety sufferer and at some point or another you'll be triggered again. Even now, you're asking how to make better feelings happen and ruminating over why the cycles occur. You're obviously already thinking about when the next time will be. This is behaviour that can be changed.

The best thing you can do is get some therapy and really work at what you learn.

elysemarie123
28-08-17, 17:22
You can't do anything to just make it happen. However, with the right attitude, you can change your cognitive behaviour so that you take the sting out of your anxiety over time, and this can lead to complete freedom.

I feel, if you're looking to trigger that sudden moment where you've had enough and you get some temporary relief, you're looking in the wrong direction. You should seek, and work towards, complete recovery. Why aim for anything less?

Don't worry about "why" these cycles happen. They happen because you're an anxiety sufferer and at some point or another you'll be triggered again. Even now, you're asking how to make better feelings happen and ruminating over why the cycles occur. You're obviously already thinking about when the next time will be. This is behaviour that can be changed.

The best thing you can do is get some therapy and really work at what you learn.

Thanks for replying ServerError -- you seem to be doing so well. How did you get there? I've tried therapy twice and honestly it didn't work for me.