PDA

View Full Version : It's been awhile...panicking over waiting for test results

anxietygirl27
29-08-17, 19:43
Hi, everyone -

It's been awhile since I've posted because I've been doing very well (yay!). I had posted about swollen nodes several times in the past and after seeing a new GP I was finally able to put my mind to rest - haven't touched the nodes in over a month!

Today, I had a physical and extensive blood work because it's been years (bad, I know - I am the type of health anxiety-er who avoids tests at all costs). Now, I am back to peak health anxiety where I can't concentrate at work and am absolutely 100% sure in my mind that my WBC will be horrible and it'll show I have lymphoma or even liver cancer because I've been having some right side pains.

What are some coping mechanisms you use to wait for test results? Also, the tests should be available on my online medical record tomorrow morning but it said that the doctor might not have reviewed them yet. Given my anxiety, would you recommend looking at the results when they're available or waiting to see if the doctor calls me? I am leaning towards not looking because I know I will over analyze and likely fall prey to Dr. Google but I'm not sure that I can hold out waiting for the doctor.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Also, if they already have the results and they were bad, how long do you think it would taken them to call in the US?

Fishmanpa
29-08-17, 20:00
My experience is... No news is good news or if it's anything, it's not serious. When I was undergoing tests for my cancer, it's was a matter of a couple of days and they called me (Heck, the ENT doc told me flat out at the exam that he thought it was cancer. The biopsy would confirm and tell us what type).

On the other hand, when I went for a nuclear stress test for my heart, I got a letter in the mail within 10 days saying that while they did find some progression in my heart disease, it wasn't serious. They had me increase two of my meds and it took care of the issue. They said my doctor would go over the results in detail at my appointment which she did.

So again... no news is good news ;)

Positive thoughts

anxietygirl27
30-08-17, 19:51
Still haven't heard back from the doctor, but I did look at the test results. Everything is normal except slightly elevated RBC. Then, I see the tech made a note of "large platelets few" - OF COURSE i have to google :( :( and all of things are coming up like bone marrow disorders and chronic leukamias and I am through.the.roof.

I know, I know - logic says if these results really pointed towards leukemia, the doctor would call immediately when they got them yesterday. Still, I can't fully calm myself down when there is seemingly only sinister reasons for it.

I'm considering calling the doctors office now and asking about it.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

also, if anyone in the medical field has any reasonings on why there would be a few large platelets present, let me know. thanks!

NancyW
30-08-17, 20:19
Everything is normal except slightly elevated RBC. Then, I see the tech made a note of "large platelets few" - OF COURSE i have to google :( :( !

Ugh ... "of course I have to google" :wacko::doh:

I'm sorry but I have a bit of trouble with that. :-(

A relative of mine told me about his bloodwork and elevated RBC and come to find out .. it's due to our European descent. Isn't that interesting?

I hate medical tests and waiting for them is torture. While waiting, I try my best to keep busy and when the world around me quiets down, I pray. It's all I've got.

I hope you can talk to your dr soon to get peace of mind over this.

thestruggle
30-08-17, 20:41
Don't Google! You will drive yourself crazy...it really could be for any number of reasons and if your doctor was concerned, you'd have had a call already :) they won't leave you hanging.. no news is good news as they say! Hope you can talk to your doctor soon for peace of mind..