PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown toenail

helenhoo
30-08-17, 17:28
I haven't relapsed and have been doing really well but I have a ingrown toenail and because of former ways my mom is saying I don't need to see a doctor. I am an adult but thought I'd check here first. I am 99.9% I have an ingrown toenail. It's red, swollen, sore and tender. Really painful Saturdat night. I think I see some pus but can't be sure. First time I've had one so can I look after it at home myself? Some times it tingles.

Jotia
30-08-17, 18:56
My cousin has one and has for years, he went to the doctor and got cream for it and had it cut back but it just get growing back in, eventually he got fed up of going and just has perment in grown toenails now, some times they bother a bit him but nothing sinister has happened from not getting it sorted out. I think it's just a matter of how much it's bothering you.

Gary A
30-08-17, 19:49
I haven't relapsed and have been doing really well but I have a ingrown toenail and because of former ways my mom is saying I don't need to see a doctor. I am an adult but thought I'd check here first. I am 99.9% I have an ingrown toenail. It's red, swollen, sore and tender. Really painful Saturdat night. I think I see some pus but can't be sure. First time I've had one so can I look after it at home myself? Some times it tingles.

A person of your age should not have to seek parental permission to see a doctor. Your surgery would probably tell you to see a nurse for such a minor ailment anyway.

helenhoo
31-08-17, 09:45
I meant in the sense do i need to or is my mom saying no because of the anxiety. A walk in clinic should help right? Sore

Annaboodle
31-08-17, 09:52
Hi Helen, I reckon so. I have one nail on my big toe that gets on and off ingrown. It always goes bright red and v. sore. Usually after a few days (plus me prodding at it endlessly) some pus and blood comes out and it relieves the soreness and then heals. Geez I am on some sort of disgusting roll today - I just posted about my piles on another thread and now this! lol.

helenhoo
31-08-17, 10:01
Lol yes mine had some pus yesterday. My friend said i could fix it myself but I'm too squeamish. Something about my feet makes me feel on edge lol. It was a nail thay split horizontally ladt year so assuming its grown funny since. Walk in nurse can help? Wah.

Annaboodle
31-08-17, 10:15
Yes, I've been told the nurse can help and can give advice about any future ingrown nail problems. I've never gone due to my feet squeamishness (I react like a kid who hates being tickled, being tickled, which in a 43 year old woman is not the best!).

helenhoo
31-08-17, 10:19
I'm the same! I dont mind needles and anything else but the idea of my toenail being lifted makes me feel ill lol.

Annaboodle
31-08-17, 10:23
I'm the same! I dont mind needles and anything else but the idea of my toenail being lifted makes me feel ill lol.

*shudders* the horror! lol

Bigboyuk
31-08-17, 11:43
HI Helen Glad you haven't relapsed Well Done :hugs: No at this stage you need to get it treated etc:) I had a nasty ingrowing toe nail years ago and it was swollen etc, and was sorted out within mins, if it's really bad and they cant trim it they will give you a local anaesthetic and remove the nail, when it grows again simply keep it trimmed some times cutting a V shape in the nail will help. Absolutely nothing to worry about Helen :) Yes a walk in clinic should be able to take care of it. If not you Gp/Nurse can do it too Keep up the good work Cheers

Cakelady
31-08-17, 12:27
Yes you need it looked at. So glad to hear you are doing well,:yesyes:

helenhoo
31-08-17, 15:05
thank you off there now!

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Wallk in nursebdidnt do anything with it said may be fungal infection or ingrown which I'm trying to let panic me. i had picked the cuticle few weeks back. I wore nail varnish didnt i so she couldn't be sure. prescribed antibiotics to treat it but breathe must not worry.

Becazican
31-08-17, 15:11
just soak it in my some epsom salt, dry it off put some antibiotic cream on it , do it 3 times a day

KK77
31-08-17, 15:25
How is your CBT going Helen? You haven't mentioned it much :shrug:

Bigboyuk
31-08-17, 16:08
Helen may I suggest going to your dr's tomorrow and get them too look at? If it's ingrown badly (mine was right underneath my big toe under the skin) It was surgically removed the relief when it was done was wonderful don't pic at it you will only make worse! Cheers

helenhoo
01-09-17, 09:49
fine chance of me getting in my doctors today or the next week lol. and CBT is going great hencr why I'm talkong about ingrown toenail and not x, y, z. Thought obviously crossed my mind buy i shut it down and used logic and the methods of learnt so far.

Bigboyuk
01-09-17, 10:06
Hi Helen what a different but positive way of thinking Iam really pleased for you :) Finally you are on the way to recovery:hugs:As for getting to see your dr over the ingrowing toenail could you ask for a pre bookable appointment or ring up on Monday morning about 8:30 am to be seen the same day. You could try a hotish caoline poltice on a piece of guazz and wrap a small bandage around it. It does sound very sore though. Come on folks lets wish Helen every success on her recovery Cheers

KK77
01-09-17, 10:50
fine chance of me getting in my doctors today or the next week lol. and CBT is going great hencr why I'm talkong about ingrown toenail and not x, y, z. Thought obviously crossed my mind buy i shut it down and used logic and the methods of learnt so far.

Can't you make appointment to see nurse at your surgery?

helenhoo
01-09-17, 11:08
there wouldn't be one until 2 weeks. it's an awful surgery, rated 1 out 5 stars lol.

First time taking antibiotics and i don't know what to expect. Side effects common? People have mentioned thrush and killing good bacteria?

Bigboyuk
01-09-17, 12:01
there wouldn't be one until 2 weeks. it's an awful surgery, rated 1 out 5 stars lol.

First time taking antibiotics and i don't know what to expect. Side effects common? People have mentioned thrush and killing good bacteria?
Simple change your surgery :) I have taken quite a few courses of antibiotics with no side effects. if you do get any it will be mild ones unlike other meds used for MH conditions. I take heart meds too the amount of side effects that these can have is huge and yet I have had no side effects with these either. You will be fine :) Cheers

KK77
01-09-17, 13:17
Come on folks lets wish Helen every success on her recovery Cheers

I would like to present this Medal to Helenhoo for past service to HA :wacko:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT14hZvhcmX3V7mdVp88LYFsZKegXS2i KFdhA8zxX_8-vsrwsXs

Bigboyuk
01-09-17, 13:44
I would like to present this Medal to Helenhoo for past service to HA :wacko:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT14hZvhcmX3V7mdVp88LYFsZKegXS2i KFdhA8zxX_8-vsrwsXs Think it was long over due and she has made a good start on the recovery route :) Cheers

helenhoo
02-09-17, 09:31
Plan to speak go pharmacist later but I woke up with horrid taste in my mouth (like I've eaten hairspray lol) and have been having watery poop. How do you counteract the sideeffect or do you have to put up with it? Really trying hard to not worry and accept these are side effects.

venusbluejeans
02-09-17, 09:46
normal side effects for antibiotics

helenhoo
02-09-17, 09:47
Anyway to get rid or help? Only on them for a week but this taste is horrid!

venusbluejeans
02-09-17, 09:49
not really, just keep drinking I guess

Bigboyuk
02-09-17, 11:39
Like Venus says it's normal (not nice I know) but wont do you any harm :) Drink plenty of water too! Cheers