PDA

View Full Version : Meds Review Question

Mojo61
30-08-17, 21:32
Hi folks. I've been taking citalopram now for about 16 months and feel they have really helped with my anxiety. My doctor's surgery phoned me last week to say they wouldn't dispense anymore tablets until I'd had a review with my doctor - this is scheduled for 10am tomorrow morning.

I am really worried that the doctor is going to say I have to come off them and if he does I am really frightened that I will go back to how I was before. Can a doctor force a patient to come off anti depressants if the patient thinks they are helping?

Thank you.

Fishmanpa
30-08-17, 21:42
Can a doctor force a patient to come off anti depressants if the patient thinks they are helping?

I think the question you need to be thinking about is:

Why would the doctor take you off the meds if they've been helping?

Positive thoughts

Mojo61
30-08-17, 22:58
Well that's what I'd like to think, but I'm worried he might think because I'm better I can start coming off them.

MyNameIsTerry
31-08-17, 01:25
Antidepressants are intended to help us recover with a view to then withdrawing from them. Surgeries are under pressure to reduce costs and so they are expected to be reviewing long term needs.

It could just be a trigger point in their procedures that alerts for a review. The doctor's view may still be they are needed but he/she may also see you are better and discuss whether it would be best to come off them.

At the end of the day the decision whether to prescribe is theirs, not ours. Tell them your worries about relapse though as they will listen to your concerns.

Mojo61
31-08-17, 20:04
The doctor was very understanding. He said there's no reason I can't stay on them until I feel ready to stop.

MyNameIsTerry
01-09-17, 01:29
That's good to hear. Just a trigger point then for a review.