PDA

View Full Version : Will CBT4Panic help with Health Anxiety - **PLEASE READ**

robinhall
31-08-17, 16:52
CBT4Panic which has been recommended on NMP for some time is now available 100% FREE - you can access it here

http://cbt4panic.org

Some people have been asking “WILL IT HELP WITH HEALTH ANXIETY?”

First of all the reason I called it CBT4Panic is because it is mostly aimed at Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia

I don’t claim it to be a cure for every mental health disorder like some so called ’methods’ do

But in saying that, it can be of great help to anyone with Health Anxiety (as many past members of NMP have attested to) because most anxiety disorders are variations on the same underlying process.

Firstly keep in mind that Health Anxiety is VERY treatable and CBT is very effective - so I would suggest that if you CAN go to face to face CBT then that’s the best thing to do

but reading through CBT4Panic will certainly help and definitely can’t do you any harm. It is very user friendly and illustrated throughout with cartoons - it won’t take long to read - its not a lot of heavy text.

The programme will explain about anxiety - why it arises - how it is maintained - the role of safety seeking behaviour and why gradual exposure is very necessary. It will also explain the CBT process.

You will also learn many great ways to cope with any form of anxiety

As you go through the workbooks you simply apply your own specific difficulties - for example when it mentions panic ‘attacks’ you can relate that to your extreme anxiety regarding health and illness

Overall it’s a place to start - you WILL definitely learn something

There is also a very easy to read introductory book on Mindfulness which is now being used very successfully to treat Health Anxiety

and most people with any anxiety disorder will get a lot of help from the Workbook on Obsessional & Frightening Thoughts

Can I urge you ALL - just at least check it out - give it a chance - it is FREE - what have you got to lose - it adheres strictly to CBT practices and principles that are recommended around the world

It’s great that sites like this can give you some reassurance regarding your fears but if you keep coming back time and time again looking for reassurance consider that its time to try something else

I’m sure many of you spend countless hours online researching your symptoms or seeking reassurance - why not spend just a few hours on something that might help with the REAL problem which is the Health Anxiety

I suffered from HA as well myself so I really DO understand what you are going through - I know it’s not easy but you have to start somewhere :-)

Elliejane44
31-08-17, 17:17
Thanks will give it a try too

robinhall
31-08-17, 17:32
Thanks EllieJane

Let me know how you get on :-)

The site is just up so any feedback will help

MrGinger
31-08-17, 19:35
I can vouch strongly for the effects it has had on my health anxiety.

This program has helped me understand what is happening with my anxiety and therefore less panic has happened.

Because I have had less panic, it seems my body and mind have slowly been recovering from all symptoms.

I'm excited about a full recovery, each day is a step through a tunnel, only been a couple weeks but I've made some solid strides.

pulisa
31-08-17, 20:43
Wouldn't it be good if people were unable to post anything on the HA forum for 24 hours but instead were able to access CBT4Panic to give it a trial with no other "distractions" in the form of tempting and unhelpful reassurance-seeking and symptom comparison...

Worth a try?

robinhall
31-08-17, 21:10
Hi Pulisa
An interesting idea - hopefully people will give it a try when they are ready to :-)

If everyone could just consider the possibility that they DO have health 'anxiety' NOT an actual health 'problem' and explore the 'process' of health 'anxiety' rather than focussing on the symptoms only

There are about 1000 people in the HA forum at any one time - at ANY time of the day or night

Possibly many of those people have been reassurance seeking or symptom checking for years!

Recovery begins with awareness - a kind of inner 'waking up' - then some sort of 'intention' to break the habitual patterns of dealing with the fear

This is where Mindfulness can be very helpful - and if you read the Mindfulness workbook on the cbt4panic website cbt4panic.org it will show you the correct way to practice Mindfulness if you have an anxiety disorder.

Since I had an anxiety disorder myself I know from experience what is helpful and what isn't when it comes to mindfulness

Anyway - it's an easy read - it's just an introduction and will give you the general idea of why it can be helpful.

pulisa
31-08-17, 21:21
Of course the most difficult thing is deciding to be ready and deciding to break the HA habit

robinhall
01-09-17, 11:17
Bump

robinhall
02-09-17, 10:52
Bump

KK77
09-09-17, 19:24
I would urge members suffering with HA to read this.

BUMP.

robinhall
09-09-17, 19:55
Thanks KK77 :-)

KK77
16-09-17, 00:56
BUMP

KK77
19-09-17, 21:49
BUMP

KK77
23-09-17, 19:09
BUMP

Elliejane44
24-09-17, 10:29
Has anyone tried this program ? I struggling again with health anxiety . Since May this has been my hardest year yet as normally I only have one health anxiety then when I got reassurance it went for months and months .

Since May it been about 10 different things at least and each week there is something new .

Any feedback

Fishmanpa
24-09-17, 15:48
I used parts of it with one on one therapy for some depression after my cancer. VERY GOOD STUFF!... And not just for anxiety issues. There are practical exercises and techniques that I use to this day for every day stressful situations.

Positive thoughts

robinhall
02-10-17, 00:12
Bump

Fishmanpa
03-10-17, 17:39
Bump

KK77
05-10-17, 20:51
BUMP

robinhall
09-10-17, 00:02
bump

Kimberleaf
09-10-17, 08:00
I started it tonight and am hoping for the best. :)

KK77
11-10-17, 14:30
CBT4Panic which has been recommended on NMP for some time is now available 100% FREE - you can access it here

First of all the reason I called it CBT4Panic is because it is mostly aimed at Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia

I don’t claim it to be a cure for every mental health disorder like some so called ’methods’ do

But in saying that, it can be of great help to anyone with Health Anxiety (as many past members of NMP have attested to) because most anxiety disorders are variations on the same underlying process.

Firstly keep in mind that Health Anxiety is VERY treatable and CBT is very effective - so I would suggest that if you CAN go to face to face CBT then that’s the best thing to do

but reading through CBT4Panic will certainly help and definitely can’t do you any harm. It is very user friendly and illustrated throughout with cartoons - it won’t take long to read - its not a lot of heavy text.

The programme will explain about anxiety - why it arises - how it is maintained - the role of safety seeking behaviour and why gradual exposure is very necessary. It will also explain the CBT process.

As you go through the workbooks you simply apply your own specific difficulties - for example when it mentions panic ‘attacks’ you can relate that to your extreme anxiety regarding health and illness

There is also a very easy to read introductory book on Mindfulness which is now being used very successfully to treat Health Anxiety

and most people with any anxiety disorder will get a lot of help from the Workbook on Obsessional & Frightening Thoughts

Can I urge you ALL - just at least check it out - give it a chance - it is FREE - what have you got to lose - it adheres strictly to CBT practices and principles that are recommended around the world

It’s great that sites like this can give you some reassurance regarding your fears but if you keep coming back time and time again looking for reassurance consider that its time to try something else

I’m sure many of you spend countless hours online researching your symptoms or seeking reassurance - why not spend just a few hours on something that might help with the REAL problem which is the Health Anxiety

I suffered from HA as well myself so I really DO understand what you are going through - I know it’s not easy but you have to start somewhere :-)

Bump

Fishmanpa
12-10-17, 21:07
Bump!

Fishmanpa
15-10-17, 16:22

BUMP - There's a reason I and others are bumping this. It's FREE help! We all can type till we're blue in the fingers but ultimately it's up to you!

Positive thoughts

Primula
16-10-17, 06:29
Bump: this really is an excellent resource for panic and anxiety. I'm having a little setback at the moment, and just reading through the website is giving me enormous comfort. I'm also gaining new understanding from reading the therapy scripts. I really do urge anyone suffering from any kind of anxiety to read it and give it a go. It's free!

Carrera74
16-10-17, 15:06
Thanks for the bump. I'm having a crappy time at the moment so will have a look x

Fishmanpa
18-10-17, 19:36
Bump! This is FREE folks! FREE! You come here asking for help and here it is! Take advantage of it and do something to help yourself :yesyes:

Positive thoughts

Elliejane44
18-10-17, 19:57
I am going to start it properly next week . It so hard to convince your mind that your symptoms are anxiety not an serious life limiting illness . That is my main struggle and guess is main part of health anxiety .

I am doing cbt also but struggling to make progress .

Primula
20-10-17, 10:44
Trying to keep this at the top of the page. It is such a good website. I'm having a little blip and re-reading and putting everything into practise again is so helpful. I'm finding that I understand more about panic and anxiety every time I read it. It's as Robin says, once you understand how anxiety and panic tricks you, it can no longer pull you so far back into the hole. Getting a hold on your anxiety and panic really does help you get your health anxiety into perspective. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

KK77
22-10-17, 23:28

BUMP

Fishmanpa
24-10-17, 13:25
Bump again!

KK77
24-10-17, 13:32

Quote the first post, Fish! Deary me :lac:

Fishmanpa
24-10-17, 16:24
Quote the first post, Fish! Deary me :lac:

It's in my signature ;)

Positive thoughts

KK77
26-10-17, 19:28

Don't be silly, Fish! You can't fit the above post in your signature. Web link is in your signature :lac:

BUMP!

Fishmanpa
26-10-17, 19:33
Don't be silly, Fish! You can't fit the above post in your signature. Web link is in your signature :lac:

BUMP!

Ok... how's this... Click this link (http://cbt4panic.org) or the one in my signature. FREE help with your anxiety! ;)

Positive thoughts and BUMP!

hopeful1
26-10-17, 19:58
Thought I would write regarding the CBT and my health anxiety. I have read the entire cbt4panic so today decided to give it a whirl and venture to a theme park. May as well think big I thought, so armed with my trusty props... I have a list as long as your arm of stuff I have to take, I went with the family to Chessington (they are also my safe people). Miss interpretation and catostrophy were in hot pursuit but somehow I managed to lose them in the crowd on quite a few occasions. The HA was ever present at the back of my mind (and in my bowel IBS) but I caught the thoughts and relaxed and concentrated on things going on outside my head rather than inside. Well I am still here to tell the tale and rather proud of my achievement, although I know I have a lot more work to do. I have a flight on Sunday.. yikes, can't take fluids either, so that is the top of prop list gone (water).

Fishmanpa
26-10-17, 20:01
Thought I would write regarding the CBT and my health anxiety. I have read the entire cbt4panic so today decided to give it a whirl and venture to a theme park. May as well think big I thought, so armed with my trusty props... I have a list as long as your arm of stuff I have to take, I went with the family to Chessington (they are also my safe people). Miss interpretation and catostrophy were in hot pursuit but somehow I managed to lose them in the crowd on quite a few occasions. The HA was ever present at the back of my mind (and in my bowel IBS) but I caught the thoughts and relaxed and concentrated on things going on outside my head rather than inside. Well I am still here to tell the tale and rather proud of my achievement, although I know I have a lot more work to do. I have a flight on Sunday.. yikes, can't take fluids either, so that is the top of prop list gone (water).

:yesyes: May you have continued success and inspire others to take it upon themselves to work on their anxiety!

Positive thoughts

KK77
26-10-17, 20:40

Excellent progress! Well done - so you should be proud.... Good to read something positive on here. And remember, we always have more work to do. Our lives change and so do we - we're not static beings.

Onwards and upwards!

robinhall
26-10-17, 22:09
Well done Hopeful1 :-)

Keep reading over the 3 main workbooks

Focus on the role safety behaviour plays in maintaining our anxiety and then in Workbook 3 you will learn how to gradually cut down in those safety behaviours

:-)

hopeful1
27-10-17, 17:55
Thank you Robinhall I will do this, the flight is going to be the biggie.... and of course then I need to get back. Great workbooks.

robinhall
28-10-17, 22:17
Bump

KK77
01-11-17, 17:47

BUMP

robinhall
02-11-17, 21:24
Bump

Primula
05-11-17, 09:18
This is such a good website. So easy to read and put into practice, and it's free.

Fishmanpa
07-11-17, 20:18

BUMP!

Positive thoughts

Primula
08-11-17, 16:00
BUMP

Fishmanpa
08-11-17, 21:10
A testimonial from CBT4Panic user.

Three years ago, I was struck down with crippling anxiety together with associated agoraphobia and dreadful obsessive thoughts. I was frightened and bewildered as to what was happening to me. I Googled every aspect of anxiety and in desperation to get well, I invested into too many so-called "cures" and foolproof "methods" with irresistible positive claims. The money was irrelevant - I just wanted to get better, but over time and after having spent hundreds of £'s, it was obvious that NONE of these cures were working for me. I felt I had wasted so much money and time for nothing. I was at my wits end when I stumbled across Cbt4Panic and Robin Hall. I was sceptical with what he was offering. I had heard it all before and to no avail. Why would he be different? I was so disillusioned but nevertheless, I emailed him with my plight and instantly he responded so positively and as a kind gesture, offered me Cbt4Panic free of charge. Here was someone who had suffered anxiety himself and was not out to make money from a vulnerable, fellow sufferer. I was overwhelmed by his generosity, especially as I had lost so much money to others who were making money on the back of their own suffering.
I accepted his offer. He sent me the Cbt4Panic package and six months on, I cannot believe the wonderful difference it has made to my life. PLEASE, PLEASE try Cbt4Panic BEFORE you try anything else. Robin is now offering it to everyone for FREE. You have nothing to lose, but everything to gain. It is easy to follow. He explains/answers EVERY QUERY you will have had and it covers so much. Nothing is left unexplained and with it comes with videos of Robin talking you through each stage. It's so comforting, you feel he is there with you. All you need to get YOURSELF BETTER is within the whole Cbt4Panic Package. I urge you, if you are suffering like I was, invest in Cbt4Panic and I promise you, you will recover. I am no one special, I am just an ordinary person who suffered so chronically with unrelenting anxiety day after day after day but with the help and knowledge contained within Cbt4Panic, Robin has given my life back. This is not another one of those cliches, I wouldn't' be that cruel. I speak from the heart. PLEASE, TRY IT FIRST. PLEASE. Good luck.

I find it baffling that something that could really help you and is FREE seems to be basically ignored.

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Positive thoughts

robinhall
09-11-17, 00:39
Hi Fish
Thanks - don't worry I think it is just taking time for people to work through the pages on the site and in time there will maybe be more feedback. Currently around 80 people visit every day so that's not bad :-)

Bearandbean
09-11-17, 08:09
Hi Robin.
So great that you provide this info. I had a read through a couple of the workbooks last night and already this morning I can see a change in some of my thought patterns.

I get a 'whoosh' of anxiety in some situations or following some thoughts. I would not say I suffer from panic attacks as I don't have the myriad of instant scary symptoms, it's more that I feel anxious about something specific and then it can make me have an anxiety symptom (e.g feeling of shortness of breath) for a few days after. Do you think I should use the workbooks by relating the whoosh as a panic attack?

Thanks

robinhall
09-11-17, 17:38
Hi Bearandbean

I'm glad you found it helpful

It sounds like you are on the low end of the spectrum but since you are visiting an anxiety forum and reading cbt4panic these symptoms must cause you a certain degree of distress so going through the books will certainly be of help

Your 'whoosh' of anxiety would be the fight or flight symptoms rather than the panic attack

remember that 'panic' is not a 'thing' as such - it is a 'reaction' to the frightening sensations

A person will feel an anxiety symptom and if it frightens them they may go into 'panic'

Another person might feel the exact same sensation or symptom but they may understand it is JUST due to fight or flight and will pass if they wait a while so while they may find the experience disturbing and unpleasant they WON'T necessarily go into 'panic'

So when you go through the books - your 'whoosh' will be the initial surge of adrenaline (due to the fight or flight response which is triggered often for no obvious reason) and you could say your version of 'panic' is whatever level of distress you are feeling in response to the 'whoosh' which is sending more fear signals through the body activating more fight or flight and more symptoms

Since you aren't having extreme panic attacks - with the understanding you will gain from the workbooks - it won't be long before you can just let the whoosh be as it is without being too bothered by it - hence no added fear signals so the body won't respond with more fight or flight

Hope all that makes sense :-)

Bearandbean
09-11-17, 19:04
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed response. It does make sense, thank you.

I would agree I have mild anxiety, but yes sometimes the fear it causes can take hold.

I've done a lot of work and put the time in to understand anxiety and manage it to make sure life feels good, I feel as though I'm so close to being able to feel the sensations/symptoms and say 'oh hi anxiety, you can't hurt me'.

emmegee
12-11-17, 23:14
Thanks for posting this. After a really bad day with my health anxiety triggering a panic attack, I'm using it right now. Really helpful.

robinhall
16-11-17, 09:56
bump

Fishmanpa
19-11-17, 23:42
BUMP!

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa
23-11-17, 01:29
BUMP!!

KK77
27-11-17, 00:24

BUMP

Fishmanpa
29-11-17, 21:35
BUMP!

Fishmanpa
04-12-17, 01:20
BUMP!

Lola-Lee
04-12-17, 02:08
It sounds like Mole Month,so I will bump this too.:D

MyNameIsTerry
04-12-17, 02:35
It sounds like Mole Month,so I will bump this too.:D

I quite like them, I think they are cute!!! :yesyes:

http://home.bt.com/images/how-to-tell-if-you-have-moles-in-the-garden-136415204971503901-170217161943.jpg

Lola-Lee
04-12-17, 06:30
No Terry! they are bloody ugly and I thought the mole down the street was on the ugly side.:roflmao:

Fishmanpa
04-12-17, 22:14
BUMP!

Fishmanpa
06-12-17, 17:15
Bump

robinhall
14-12-17, 09:48
Bump

Fishmanpa
17-12-17, 17:10
BUMP!

KK77
12-01-18, 15:18

BUMP

Fishmanpa
13-01-18, 21:15
BUMP!

Fishmanpa
14-01-18, 21:10
BUMP!

ShaunRyder
15-01-18, 14:19

BUMP

Fishmanpa
20-01-18, 15:43
BUMP!

ShaunRyder
22-01-18, 15:39

BUMP!

robinhall
30-01-18, 15:31
bump

Fishmanpa
09-02-18, 13:28
BUMP!

Fishmanpa
12-02-18, 12:52
BUMP!

Pinkmoon
12-02-18, 14:37
I can 100% vouch for this programme and Robin himself - such a selfless and amazing person. The course is truly helpful!

Fishmanpa
20-02-18, 18:15
BUMP!

Fishmanpa
07-04-18, 02:41
BUMP!

br350
07-04-18, 14:15
I’ve found this one to be not only free, but more direct and to the point in helping with health anxiety. http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

It specifically helps target the various aspects of what create, maintain and reinforce perpetuating behaviors. There are many excellent sources for getting through panic attacks. First and foremost, as old as it is, it’s stood the test of time: Claire Weekes ‘Hope and Help For Your Nerves.’ Gem of a book (most of you know of it already) that is good for addressing panic and how to work through it, though it’s non specific and does not adress obsessions specifically.

Another great ‘reminder’ resource I go to often is this: https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/anxiety_management.html. In this link, if you read down the right hand column of the page, there’s great ‘quick reference’ advice for combatting the distortions and faulty thought processes that flows from anxiety disorders. I actually printed this out years ago, and keep a copy in my handbag for quick reference.

It’s a lifelong process!

KK77
07-04-18, 14:19
I’ve found this one to be not only free, but more direct and to the point in helping with health anxiety. http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

It specifically helps target the various aspects of what create, maintain and reinforce perpetuating behaviors. There are many excellent sources for getting through panic attacks. First and foremost, as old as it is, it’s stood the test of time: Claire Weekes ‘Hope and Help For Your Nerves.’ Gem of a book (most of you know of it already) that is good for addressing panic and how to work through it, though it’s non specific and does not adress obsessions specifically.

Another great ‘reminder’ resource I go to often is this: https://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/anxiety_management.html. In this link, if you read down the right hand column of the page, there’s great advice for combatting the distortions and faulty thought processes that flows from anxiety disorders. I actually printed this out years ago, and keep a copy in my handbag for quick reference.

It’s a lifelong process!
So you didn't find CBT4Panic helpful?

br350
07-04-18, 14:22
For panic attacks, yes. Health anxiety I believe needs a more targeted, and specific, approach. Mine had been so intractable that I needed one-on-one, in person therapy to really see some breakthroughs. Anxiety has so many sources. Mine was clearly OCD-based and for that reason, needed more intensive and tailored therapy. I think any free resource that can help an individual deal with panic (whatever the cause!) is fantastic, and should be a sticky at the top! Whatever works for each individual is all that matters! :)

KK77
07-04-18, 15:22
Thanks for clarification. As you say, I commend and recommend any free resource, and I'm glad you found something that works for you specifically ;)

br350
07-04-18, 15:47
Thanks KK77, that’s what I hope for all of us - find something that resonates, that helps and that really works! :yesyes:

robinhall
08-04-18, 10:51
Hi Br350
I agree that CBT4Panic is best for Panic Disorder (or the panic attacks associated with HA)

That's why I also recommend that info pack on HA from the Australian site

HA really needs specific help and as you say - face to face therapy is best

Fishmanpa
14-04-18, 22:30
BUMP!!

KK77
18-07-18, 20:23

BUMP