PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out over Blood pressure

metsfan
31-08-17, 17:29
Hi All,

This is my first post but I've been browsing for some time and its helped me immensely. I'm 39 from New York, in good shape, great family, job, etc.

I've dealt with anxiety in almost every form throughout my life. Just like many of you, the anxiety hasn't changed but the symptoms seem to change as I get older.
In recent years, I've been avoiding going to the doctor and I think It may be because I'm afraid of the blood pressure monitor. I was actually studying medicine in my 20's and I remember getting perfect readings but at the doctor recently, it was high. (140/100 range). Both the nurse and doc looked at me funny but I told them I was nervous and they sent me home saying I should monitor it and bring readings in next time. That was about 6 months ago and ever since I've been freaking out. A few months ago, I had a dentist appointment to have a tooth extracted and all of a sudden, they said they need to check my pressure! Here we go again, I started to freak out and of course 160/100. So they sent me home. I haven't been able to go back. I have a wrist bp monitor at home and I've tried to check it as much as I can but just looking at it makes me nervous. When I first check it, its always high and then eventually I can get the numbers in the 120/80 range. Lying down, I've gotten readings even lower than that. I want to desensitize myself by continuing to check it but don't want it to further my obsession.

I can't seem to get this whole idea out of my mind and you could say I'm obsessed at this point because its almost all I think about. Its interfering with my family life, work life, etc. I've started to exercise a lot and it helps but as long as I think I'm going to die, I won't get over this.

I've been reading online forums on this and everything else anxiety related for so many years, I know what the right answer is but I can't seem to convince myself. My brother is a cardiologist and even him telling me not to worry isn't giving me assurance. I just thought putting my thoughts on paper (or computer), might help.

Btw, the only med I take is a small dose of paxil.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any feedback/advice. I look forward to talking to all of you.

Lil Smooth
31-08-17, 19:45
if you keep worrying that u will die over it its only gonna make it worse.
Because if you think you're gonna die you kinda trick your mind into thinking you'll actually die (and you will keep worrying when it will happen everyday) when you're totally fine
I know many people who have anxiety when it comes to doctors but I would suggest you go to one and tell them whats been going on and if everything
is fine and you are still thinking about dying u will know its only your anxiety

Fishmanpa
31-08-17, 19:55
I have heart disease and a while back my cardiologist switched up some med dosages and told me to monitor my BP for a month and send her the readings. So, I bought a good monitor and as per my doctor, took my BP the same time every day (evenings after work when I've had an hour to chill out). The key was to be seated in a comfy position cuff on and ready because getting up and moving around will skew the results. Then, take three readings a minute apart and average them out.

I'm sure some of your higher reading are stress related as you said. The fact you get them into totally normal range lying down relaxing affirms this. Try what I said and I'll wager they'll be much better ;)

Positive thoughts

Mrs.Anxiety
31-08-17, 20:15
I agree with everyone else, worrying and stressing over it will only make it worse. I know, easier said than done. I think you might have white coat syndrome, especially if you're getting good results at home in a relaxed environment. I hate blood pressure cuffs, just the whole process of taking it too. But you can't escape it and they take it everywhere-
ER, dentists, doctor's office, etc. It's something you need to start feeling comfortable with. I will say though, please keep exercising. My BP was always around 125/82 and I'm only 27. I was full of stress and sedentary. During panic attacks, it would be 156/102. Now I work out about 4-5 times a week, and I've noticed my Bp has dropped to 115/76. I recently went to the ER with a panic attack and it was only 135/85. The truth of the matter is, if you work out and stay active, your heart will thank you even in the worst situations.

old fred
31-08-17, 21:25
I agree this sounds like white coat syndrome, I have been on meds for high blood pressure many years and have to have 4 monthly checks to renew prescription. The doctor/nurse always takes at least 2 readings ignoring the first as it will aiways be high.

metsfan
31-08-17, 22:03
Thanks everyone. I don't know why this is such a scary thing for me. If I have high blood pressure, I could just take a pill and control it - no big deal right? But of course, I have to make it out to be the end of the world.

I definitely don't plan on stopping the exercise. I've been running a few miles at least 3-4x a week and doing weights on alternate days. Always makes me feel better.

The last doctor I went to was my first visit and I didn't like how they reacted to the reading. If they were more understanding and not looked at me like I had 2 heads, I would feel better about going back. I guess I have to find another doctor.

At this point, its the chicken and egg situation. I'm scared I have hbp so when I take it, the anxiety makes it high regardless. I know I will get over this but its a matter of how long it takes. Ugh.

Whyme07
01-09-17, 01:32
Lovely to finally hear of someone in the same boat! I absolutely hate BP machines. I have avoided Drs for years because of it. Mine has gone up to 160 before as well with a pulse of 110! I have a home monitor and do it every now and then and perfectly fine there

AussieWorrier
01-09-17, 09:02
You sound like me and every other normal person ... I always get high readings when I'm anxious at the doctors office and yes lying down makes it go down more ...best thing to do is not measure it when you're anxious ... check it first thing in the morning when you wake up as that's when you're most relaxed

---------- Post added at 08:02 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

I agree with everyone else, worrying and stressing over it will only make it worse. I know, easier said than done. I think you might have white coat syndrome, especially if you're getting good results at home in a relaxed environment. I hate blood pressure cuffs, just the whole process of taking it too. But you can't escape it and they take it everywhere-
ER, dentists, doctor's office, etc. It's something you need to start feeling comfortable with. I will say though, please keep exercising. My BP was always around 125/82 and I'm only 27. I was full of stress and sedentary. During panic attacks, it would be 156/102. Now I work out about 4-5 times a week, and I've noticed my Bp has dropped to 115/76. I recently went to the ER with a panic attack and it was only 135/85. The truth of the matter is, if you work out and stay active, your heart will thank you even in the worst situations.

Great post👍So basically you're saying even if you get high blood pressure when anxious ,,if you exercise it won't rise so much compared to a sedentary anxious person

Mrs.Anxiety
01-09-17, 15:09
I think exercise is great for everyone, especially us anxiety-sufferers. I just wanted to share my experience of seeing my BP drop in both anxious and non-anxious situations since I started working out. My diet hasn't changed too dramatically, so I attribute it to that. Another thing I always recommend is to be open about your fear with your doctor. They will sometimes wait until the end of your visit for you to be calm and then check it. Or they will check it twice.

metsfan
01-09-17, 16:43
Since I've avoided the doctors so much because of this issue, If I see a high number, my anxious brain automatically goes to the worst scenario. Instead of just saying, its just high because I'm anxious and its no big deal and then naturally calm down and it would be normal. But I see a high number and my mind starts going, OMG! I have high blood pressure, I'm going stroke out or have a heart attack, etc. So of course the readings don't come down even If they take it a few times.

Mrs.Anxiety
01-09-17, 19:28
Since I've avoided the doctors so much because of this issue, If I see a high number, my anxious brain automatically goes to the worst scenario. Instead of just saying, its just high because I'm anxious and its no big deal and then naturally calm down and it would be normal. But I see a high number and my mind starts going, OMG! I have high blood pressure, I'm going stroke out or have a heart attack, etc. So of course the readings don't come down even If they take it a few times.

Yup, it's that vicious cycle of getting worked up, getting it checked, seeing a high number, and then worrying even more. I think you being aware of this is a good first step- now take steps to break that pattern. I recommend getting more used to having it taken in public areas. I've seen many people suggesting to take it a supercenter or pharmacies like Target or CVS. You're not at home, but technically you're not at the doctor's either and it's still a safe but public place. The more you get used to the feeling, the less it will be a fear.

Thelegend27
02-09-17, 20:15
there's no reason to stress it'll only raise it higher. im 26 and my bp runs around 135/80 sometimes lower all the time and my doctors have always said it looks fine. blood pressure at your level isnt something that'll hurt you overnight. just monitor it and if needed get some meds. my friends bp runs 200+/110+ and he hasnt dropped dead so i think youre ok you just need to manage it so it doesnt worsen over the years.

metsfan
02-09-17, 22:44
Thanks Legend. My rational mind knows this isn't something I need to worry about asap but my anxious mind takes over as we can all relate to. I know real clinical hypertension isn't based on a few anxious readings and that it typically takes years and years for any damage to happen and that is with high readings constantly. I already know that my readings go down when I'm completely relaxed so I need to work on getting the same low readings no matter where I am, doctor/dentist, etc.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to take measures to keep my anxiety in check like exercise, drinking in moderation and continuing to eat healthy, etc.

Amazing how us anxiety sufferers always find something new to worry about.