PDA

View Full Version : Heart quivers :(

Hypomean
02-09-17, 04:52
I felt a quiver while cooking I was trying to cook and my arm was getting hot.
And I did have anxious thoughts. And stress response from feeling the heat?

But I felt like my heart rate sped up a lot. And then like it quivered. Like if you had your phone on vibrate and had it by your left breast but the vibration is a little bit more sped up and muffled. I tried breathing through it but I noticed that when I took a deep breath I felt a heavyiness on the same spot but in my back. And it felt tight. My thoughts went 100 mph thinking about everything at once. My eyes were hurting from not being able to focus on one thing. And for a good few minutes it felt like my heart was going million miles per hour but it wasn't. And my mind was trying to get a grasp of that information.

I have been working out so I limited my caffeine intake. But today I felt tired so I drank in total 5 cup of caffeine drinks. Maybe it was a sort of palpitation due to all the caffeine. My chest is sore now after this incident and I am getting a stabbing pain over my left breast. And my arms feel this cold pins and needles. Safe to say anxiety, plus caffeine made this panic attack happen?

My logical side says yes. But, all of y'all probably know by now, my anxiety side says heart issue.

What can I apply to drill in the fact that it's just anxiety and nothing more?
According to my results I'm perfectly healthy (4 yr old results) but my anxiety says hey what if it's not like that?

ServerError
02-09-17, 05:20
What steps are you taking to challenge the thought that it could be anything serious? I mean, your post contains plenty of logical thought. Turn it back on yourself and answer your own questions.

Hypomean
02-09-17, 15:07
What steps are you taking to challenge the thought that it could be anything serious? I mean, your post contains plenty of logical thought. Turn it back on yourself and answer your own questions.

That if it were a heart issue I'd be fighting to breath and I'll most likely actually be in the hospital, by someone else making the call. And what my therapist told is that, if I do have a heart issue, so what? Today's medicine can help you survive it or live with it. Etc.

I'm trying to push the thoughts down. But what happens I've been having a shaky sensation since last night my body just feels like it's constantly trembling.
So it throws me off. But I'm telling myself to stick to the logical. I do have moments were it does click and I'm fine but I feel a twinge of pain in my chest I then feel the fears coming back. By feel I mean I get the adrenaline rush feeling.

ServerError
02-09-17, 15:47
You don't need to push the thoughts down. Thought suppression is more-or-less impossible. The more you fight them, the more they'll fight back. You need to allow the thoughts to be there. But you also need to learn not to identify with them. By this, I mean that you need to learn that having abthought does not make it true. The fact your head is full of thoughts about you having a heart issue actually has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you have one.

Then you can counter those thoughts with your rational ones. This isn't about suppressing your thoughts. It's about taking the sting out of them. Eventually, you stop following up the initial fear with a secondary fear response (the one that really makes you ill but that you also have more control over). You start to replace it with rational counterreactions. It's not easy, but it's doable. CBT and medication can be very helpful along the way.

Your heart isn't doing anything outvof the ordinary. They do flutter and "skip" thanks to the effects of adrenaline and vagus nerve stimulation. It's normal, and the heart can take it.

Thelegend27
02-09-17, 20:02
I'm 26 diagnosed with afib at 24 and what you explain sounds like what i feel when i have afib. ive had 2 episodes of afib over the last nearly 3 years, my afib comes from vomiting weird i know but its true, when i vomit i immediately go into afib. in detail of what it feels like, immediately my heart starts racing, and my heart feels like its jumping around in my chest really fast its like a quiver almost, but remember not everyone with afib will have a high heart rate, only in rvr (rapid ventricular response) will your heart rate rise. alot of people have symptoms of afib but im not one of them if i couldnt physically feel the afib i wouldnt know i was in it because i dont get any light headedness, no fatigue or anything. the good news is afib in yound individuals with no heart disease or conditions is not a problem, but it does need to be checked out and treated if if needed because you dont want to be behind the wheel and black out. you may not have afib but what you describe is enough for me to say see the doc because it sounds like it could be afib.

Fishmanpa
02-09-17, 21:20
you may not have afib but what you describe is enough for me to say see the doc because it sounds like it could be afib.

Legend, with respect, there's no need to project your fears and situation implying the OP has this. If you're cooking over a hot stove, you're bound to feel heat on the arm hovering over the stove. Add to that the caffeine intake and taking into consideration post history and IMO, I'm reading panic attack caused by a normal physical sensation.

Being one with heart disease, I'm all for getting checked out when the situation warrants it. I just think this is one of those situations.

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
03-09-17, 14:15
You don't need to push the thoughts down. Thought suppression is more-or-less impossible. The more you fight them, the more they'll fight back. You need to allow the thoughts to be there. But you also need to learn not to identify with them. By this, I mean that you need to learn that having abthought does not make it true. The fact your head is full of thoughts about you having a heart issue actually has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not you have one.

Then you can counter those thoughts with your rational ones. This isn't about suppressing your thoughts. It's about taking the sting out of them. Eventually, you stop following up the initial fear with a secondary fear response (the one that really makes you ill but that you also have more control over). You start to replace it with rational counterreactions. It's not easy, but it's doable. CBT and medication can be very helpful along the way.

Your heart isn't doing anything outvof the ordinary. They do flutter and "skip" thanks to the effects of adrenaline and vagus nerve stimulation. It's normal, and the heart can take it.

It sounds familiar I think my therapist said the similar. To face it head on to retrain your thought process. It's scary how I forgot about that. Maybe in the midst of anxiety diagnosis I was in denial about it all and I just locked up somethings in that period.

I know my heart, according to cardiologist answering all my questions, I know that what I personally feel is not a threat to ME. But the sensations are still horrible to experience. Thanks again Server for your time.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

I'm 26 diagnosed with afib at 24 and what you explain sounds like what i feel when i have afib. ive had 2 episodes of afib over the last nearly 3 years, my afib comes from vomiting weird i know but its true, when i vomit i immediately go into afib. in detail of what it feels like, immediately my heart starts racing, and my heart feels like its jumping around in my chest really fast its like a quiver almost, but remember not everyone with afib will have a high heart rate, only in rvr (rapid ventricular response) will your heart rate rise. alot of people have symptoms of afib but im not one of them if i couldnt physically feel the afib i wouldnt know i was in it because i dont get any light headedness, no fatigue or anything. the good news is afib in yound individuals with no heart disease or conditions is not a problem, but it does need to be checked out and treated if if needed because you dont want to be behind the wheel and black out. you may not have afib but what you describe is enough for me to say see the doc because it sounds like it could be afib.

That's scary. Hope your afib does not cause you any trouble in the future. I have been to the cardiologist for feeling a vibration type sensation before I was put on a EKG when I experienced it and it didn't show up. The doctor said it could have beeen a muscle spasm. Or organ spasm. The odd sensation of the quiver scares me. Now that I'm over it, i can see I really over reacted.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Legend, with respect, there's no need to project your fears and situation implying the OP has this. If you're cooking over a hot stove, you're bound to feel heat on the arm hovering over the stove. Add to that the caffeine intake and taking into consideration post history and IMO, I'm reading panic attack caused by a normal physical sensation.

Being one with heart disease, I'm all for getting checked out when the situation warrants it. I just think this is one of those situations.

Positive thoughts

What so I should get this checked out.

ServerError
03-09-17, 14:29
fishmanpa is saying the exact opposite of that. I'll paraphrase him:

"I have genuine illnesses, so I know the importance of getting checked out when necessary, but this does not warrant it."

You've already been exhaustively checked out anyway. Your heart is functionally and structurally healthy. What you're experiencing is caused by adrenaline and vagus nerve stimulation triggered by your state of mind.

Fishmanpa
03-09-17, 16:08

"I have genuine illnesses, so I know the importance of getting checked out when necessary, but this does not warrant it."

You've already been exhaustively checked out anyway. Your heart is functionally and structurally healthy. What you're experiencing is caused by adrenaline and vagus nerve stimulation triggered by your state of mind.

Exactly... Thank you Server!

Positive thoughts

Thelegend27
03-09-17, 17:35
No disrespect, but afib isnt a fear of mine, i aimply said that what the op describes is what it feels like when i have afib.you wouldnt know what it feels like unless you had afib so who do you want to take it from? heart palpitations alone should be looked into, not everyone wants to dismiss everything, if i recongnize symptoms ill tell you. no need to sugar coat it.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

And also just because you have had loads of heart tests doesnt rule out arrythmias, they cannot be diagnosed or detected unless they catch it on ekg. but like i said im not saying you have afib, but what you have said makes me wonder if you do, and for that reason itd be wise to get a holter monitor.

ServerError
03-09-17, 17:56
No disrespect, but that's not remotely helpful. How do you think Hypomean's going to respond to that? Hypomean's descriptions are vague and shouldn't be linked to "afib" because of what you happen to have experienced. She has had numerous tests and consultations. What is she supposed to do? Torture herself with fear over the possibility of "afib" and constantly seek reassurance by going back for more and more tests?

The doctors are not worried. The people to believe and trust in this are the doctors. Everything Hypomean describes can easily be explained by anxiety, which her clinical picture backs up.

Throwing out random scary possibilities without any evidence isn't helpful. It's like someone coming here complaining of paranoia and being told it could be schizophrenia, even after numerous psychiatric evaluations to the contrary.

Hypomean - focus on what the doctors have told you and on getting help with your anxiety. Please don't be scared by somebody throwing up random heart conditions on the internet. If the doctors aren't concerned, that is the only cue to take.

pulisa
03-09-17, 19:50
Hypomean, Server and Fishmanpa have give you excellent advice and I can only advise you to listen to what they say and filter out unhelpful comments which I'm sure were said with good intentions but just feed into your HA.

Fishmanpa
03-09-17, 20:14
No disrespect, but afib isnt a fear of mine, i aimply said that what the op describes is what it feels like when i have afib.you wouldnt know what it feels like unless you had afib so who do you want to take it from? heart palpitations alone should be looked into, not everyone wants to dismiss everything, if i recongnize symptoms ill tell you. no need to sugar coat it.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

And also just because you have had loads of heart tests doesnt rule out arrythmias, they cannot be diagnosed or detected unless they catch it on ekg. but like i said im not saying you have afib, but what you have said makes me wonder if you do, and for that reason itd be wise to get a holter monitor.

Legend, it's well documented here that your heart issue (and nodes) is a major source of your anxiety. Yet again I find this unhelpful and something that will fuel others HA. YOU have this issue and you're projecting YOUR fears.

Hypo... you're fine really. Don't let the unhelpful comments feed your dragon ya hear?! :)

Positive thoughts

Hypomean
04-09-17, 20:38

Server and Fishmanpa I thought so just wanted to make sure. :)
Thank you guys, it has been a rough few days. And I'm slowly getting through it. I'm looking at what I do have, in facts. Like I did have my heart checked for a long period of time and it is noted that when I did feel the quiver type sensations they didn't show up on the monitor. Supposedly the monitor I had used was the most accurate way to detect heart issues. Way better than a holter monitor.
So I'm sticking to it the results that my heart is fine. Haven't felt it since I made the post. I have been dealing with minor panic attacks about it, but I'm able to talk myself down before it gets out of hand.

And Fishmanpa I did not really get into Thelegends posts I know I should not also give in to other people's personal experiences. I'm really working on this. Since you know, I usually base my stuff on others experiences. I'm trying. Thanks you Fishmanpa.

Hypomean
05-09-17, 01:05
I just felt it again. The quiver. And it's sending me to panic mode.

Logic: it's my acid reflux slash stomach issues I'm having due to a night out on Friday that consisted of drinking. And some food i maybe shouldn't of had.
Yesterday I was fine but it seems to be hitting me today.

Anxiety: it's something wrong and you are dying.

Im dealing with lots of burping. And it makes my chest feel like it's about to explode. And I can hear gurgling.

I was doing fine. Working on my favorite craft and I got up to go to the bathroom. When I felt the quiver. I mean at that said moment I had nothing to worry about and it happened.
I had a heavy stomach feeling this morning and maybe the food I ate has made me sick. But why a day after said event?

I hate having to pretend to be okay and then locking my self in the bathroom so I can get myself put together :(

---------- Post added 05-09-17 at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was 04-09-17 at 23:51 ----------

Im having a major panic attack now.
My insides feel super heavy and bloated. Vomiting might be in my near future and that's what has me panicking. I fear throwing up really bad.

ServerError
05-09-17, 01:12
I'll tell you something, Hypomean. I also get heart "things". Sometimes I get palpitatons, sometimes I feel like my heart is "wobbling" in my chest. Perhaps it's similar to what you experience, but we'll never know. I've had numerous tests and spoken of my worries to doctors and therapists and a neurologist. I've had a chest x-ray and a holter monitor. Nobody is worried, and still my heart does this from time to time. I don't really have much in the way of anxiety anymore - at least not the hypochondriacal kind. But still the heart stuff happens.

The above is all absolutely true. So let me ask you this - are you worried about me? Do you think I'm going to die from this? I bet you're able to rationalise and say that I'm almost certainly fine, given that I've been exhaustively tested and the doctors aren't concerned. I bet that's what you'd say to me, and you'd believe it.

The only difference between you and me is that, while I am able to believe it about myself, you are only able to believe it about me and others. When it comes to doing it for yourself, you're not there yet.

I say "yet", because you can get there. I mean, I got there, and there's nothing special about me. It's good to see you using logic when you feel this, but don't forget to also bring in the fact that the doctors aren't worried. Anxiety is the most common cause of heart palpitations. I was having them before my breakdown. They were a sign of what was to come. I remember how weird they felt, and at the time, I knew nothing about anxiety, or that there was anything wrong with me, so they really threw me. It's no surprise I had a sudden breakdown surrounding my health.

You do need to get help away from NMP, I'm afraid. You need real-world help from a professional. Please find a way to seek it. It's for your own good and could change your life.

Just seen your edit:

I think it was Claire Weekes who said that if you've never vomited from anxiety before, then you never will. Your stomach can take it. But even if you do vomit, it's just unpleasant rather than anything to worry about. The more you worry, the more you'll feed the sensations. Rationalise that these feelings are common in panic. Some people do vomit from panic. They never come to any harm, and neither will you.

Hypomean
05-09-17, 01:48
@ServerError to be honest I do worry about others when they mention they don't feel well. But I guess if they did tell me they know what they have and how to treat it or if they said it's nothing to worry about, I would sort of maybe drop it.

I really do need help. And I am looking for it. But in my area it's not available if you don't have insurance. It's 165$ just for a single visit for a psychologists. Meds would cost anywhere from 2$ to 30$ per pill if they do prescribe meds.

I shouldn't be worried. Deep down I know this. Countless tests have told me so. It all comes down to getting past the body sensations. That sends me into instant panic.
As for the vomiting I don't get it with panic attacks so this isn't from my anxiety. As of right now, I now know I am dealing with possible food poisoning. Again. I just dealt with it a few months ago and it was bad it took me out for 2 weeks.

Thelegend27
05-09-17, 18:33
ok say what you will but i had many tests done and any doctor will tell you they cannot diagnose an arrythmia unless the arrythmia is present at the time of the recording, call me crazy, but ive been down this road and have talked with many doctors regarding this subject. afib isnt something to fear, i dont fear afib, i feared why i was getting afib such as heart disease etc. if one has had clear heart tests then it shouldnt be a huge concern, but if you have afib then it needs to be diagnosed and treated as needed. everyone on here only wants to soothe the anxiety and not look at the facts, and thats what delayed me getting seen because everyone on the internet made it sound like i was crazy and nothing was wrong. ones heart doesnt "quiver" for no good reason, theres clearly some abnormalities with the heart rhythm, which may or may not be afib, but a pvc or pac doesnt give you the "quiver" feeling, tachycardia doesnt give that feeling, afib and aflutter are the only two arrythmias i have ever heard of to make the heart feel flutters or quiver. but im projecting my fears right? well just ignoreit, thats what everyones wants you to do anyway. im not here trying to scare anyone, i wish someone would have answered my questions with some honesty i wouldnt have soent so many days wondering what was going on and i couldve gotten to the bottom of it sooner.

ServerError
05-09-17, 19:05
You are not qualified to speculate on what that "quiver" really is. What Hypomean describes as a "quiver" might be nothing like what you're referring to. We simply don't know.

"Afib" may not be anything to fear, but do you think Hypomean will see it that way? Bandying about random scary-sounding things is not helpful. The people to listen to on this are the doctors, and they aren't worried. I don't know what it is you want her to do, but this is isn't about you and your diagnosis.