PDA

View Full Version : The Birmmingham Bins Fiasco!

Bigboyuk
02-09-17, 12:36
Hi Folks It's debate time again :) Thought I would post about this and see what other members views on this is. As some of you will know this strike has caused chaos for over 2 months now, there looked like there was going to be end to this strike, but only 1 hr back to work the members have been called out on strike again, regarding 100 staturoty notices being served on 100 workers for redundancy this is what caused the second strike to take place.

My Views are this the people of Birmingham are paying for a service they aint getting ok so 1. Should they all get a rebate on their council tax for a lack of service ( I think so :) ) 2. It's a huge risk to health so why hasn't environmental health dept got involved as under normal circumstances they would intervene. 3. Should the residents affected actually get a out side firm in to clear the mountains of waste and send the bill to the council? What would do the trick is for as many residents as possible is dump their waste outside the local council HQ if enough did it think the council would have to sit up and listen, Mr Clancy has a lot to answer for and you cant blame the actual workers on this, it not their fault :)

All views and comments welcome lets get debating folks Cheers :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
02-09-17, 15:21
Dumping their waste in the council doorstep would be good. They would have had some action then.

It's been going on a while. It's obvious Clancy & Co are dodgy with them being caught as liars over agreeing the deal they say they never did.

As far as I recall, there was a volunteers group who started collecting bins that the union disgustingly branded a "scab army" and eventually the council did call in a company to take waste away... which I'm sure will get charged back to ratepayers somehow or through more service cuts.

A rebate would be nice but since the council won't have any money, they just get it back out of you some way.

The council being sacked would be a good start.

Bigboyuk
02-09-17, 22:25
Dumping their waste in the council doorstep would be good. They would have had some action then.

It's been going on a while. It's obvious Clancy & Co are dodgy with them being caught as liars over agreeing the deal they say they never did.

As far as I recall, there was a volunteers group who started collecting bins that the union disgustingly branded a "scab army" and eventually the council did call in a company to take waste away... which I'm sure will get charged back to ratepayers somehow or through more service cuts.

A rebate would be nice but since the council won't have any money, they just get it back out of you some way.

The council being sacked would be a good start. Yes Terry that would be good :roflmao: No what it was the unions did decide to go back to work but 1 hr in 100 letters were sent out to 100 staff saying you are redundant now so they when back on strike :eek: so understand the workers concerns totally The people of Birmingham have had enough this could go on till Xmas :eek:

Bigboyuk
12-09-17, 15:40
Hmm would have been nice to have some more comments on this folks :) Update Clancy has now resigned at last :yesyes: Those poor people of Birmingham Mind you if they all rallied round and with held the council tax payment (they couldn't all be put in prison etc) so really in a way I blame the residents for not taking action against the council on this you know safety in numbers thing, and it could still drag on and on for weeks, it's simple really they aren't getting a service so it's simple a refund is due now due to every resident and business affected but pigs might fly eh lol Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
12-09-17, 16:54
Why just the locals? Why not say we are to blame for not supporting the working man/woman?

I blame the council and the union are not blameless either to me as services failed that were needed. I don't blame the residents for not taking a stand in having to face non payment...those lovely unions wouldn't give a stuff about them afterwards and would leave them to it I reckon.

Maybe payers could do more but ultimately you have a range of people from unable to fight to those who are too busy, not considering those who disagree. How many are like us? Or are in poverty? Old? Busy carers? People with their own fights that unions couldn't care less about. The unions didn't care about the residents so why should they care back?

When women were having to group together to take legal action to get councils to pay them in accordance with equality laws, they faced it alone. My mum was in one such group.

It's just not so clear cut to me.

Not sure many like political debates and non anxiety discussion. So many on here are stuck inside the anxiety at the moment.

Glad that boss has gone.

Bigboyuk
12-09-17, 19:10
Why just the locals? Why not say we are to blame for not supporting the working man/woman?

I blame the council and the union are not blameless either to me as services failed that were needed. I don't blame the residents for not taking a stand in having to face non payment...those lovely unions wouldn't give a stuff about them afterwards and would leave them to it I reckon.

Maybe payers could do more but ultimately you have a range of people from unable to fight to those who are too busy, not considering those who disagree. How many are like us? Or are in poverty? Old? Busy carers? People with their own fights that unions couldn't care less about. The unions didn't care about the residents so why should they care back?

When women were having to group together to take legal action to get councils to pay them in accordance with equality laws, they faced it alone. My mum was in one such group.

It's just not so clear cut to me.

Not sure many like political debates and non anxiety discussion. So many on here are stuck inside the anxiety at the moment.

Glad that boss has gone.True Terry but if more people kicked up a fuss and like I said previously every one affected dumped their waste out side the councils HQ then I think it might have helped the cause. As for our government remember the green godedess that step in when the fire brigade went on strike some years back! the thing over this rubbish scandal it poses a health risk and there's no getting out of this.

Sorry I disagree it's not the unions fault really they are just fighting their corner and rightly so IMHO

Sure there is that in what you say but even so those who weren't happy should have thought up a plan but guess not so :)

Yes did the women win in the end over equality? And sorry to hear your mum was involved in this.

Ha ha you only have to look at the EU debate on here it's still going strong now an will continue to do so! I set these debates up so to take members minds of their conditions if you follow, As always thanks for your comments Terry :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
13-09-17, 02:18
Yes, the women did. The law had changed many years before but councils kept on paying them less than men. It was a very high profile thing in the media for years. Law firms took on group cases for them to get their backpay.

As part of it the council had to disclose the pay for all mens roles. You wouldn't believe the claims they can make. Bonuses just for turning up for work. I remember at the time grave diggers were earning the same salary as team managers at my firm.

Where were the unions? Nowhere from I recall.

Unions have positives & negatives. We don't want them too powerful or they take the urine. Remember the coal miners "cutting"? :winks: Nice payout and some time off.

Why should residents support them when those trying to clear the waste were termed a "scab army" by Corbyn's favourite paper he writes in?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-40897114

Whilst bin men they met were fine with them, the union failed to comment:

The BBC has asked Unite to respond to the comments made about the Bearded Broz, but the union is yet to comment.

Not good. Typical of a rag like the Morning Star, I guess, it's the left version of the Express. But the union should have supported them too, they didn't help to get people on side there.

When Royal Mail were constantly striking around our city they chose Xmas to cause the most upheaval for their cause. They didn't seem to care for the kids not getting their presents. Thankfully later they changed this schedule...as they probably realised public support was gone.

The fault lies with the council. They are obviously shadey. But I wish we had a better system than strikes because all that does is affect the customer to put pressure on management. Management and the union sort things out and neither give a toss about what you have suffered due to it. Ask the parents who've had to pay out for childcare due to teachers strikes. Something better is needed.

So, it seems the residents were doing something but for the health of the local community. It would be good if they supported the union, where a council is in the wrong not when unions are just playing the game, but the strike would have happened with or without them to me so we will have to disagree on that one. I'm not exactly fond of unions though from past experience of them causing me some problems in work.