PDA

View Full Version : A quick introduction from overwhelmed in Leicestershire!

Kloren
02-09-17, 21:02
Hi everyone. I'm here because I really don't know where else to turn! I guess it would be great to find somewhere/someone I can go to, when I've tried to confide in people in the past they either don't know what to say or tell me to just be different, or not to worry. Perhaps that's a bit unfair of me. Anyway! I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety when I was 17, and prescribed citalopram. I'm now 28 and thankfully the depression has left me alone, ish, and I'm no longer on citalopram, but the depression hasn't gone entirely because I find the anxiety so exhausting.

My main problem is my anxiety. It manifests in a number of ways but most frequently it's a barrage of thoughts and fears that I just can't shake, usually about things that could be defined as "irrational", although I really don't like that word. I'm trying to finish my PhD at the moment, and there are also some ongoing family illnesses which cause a lot of emotional problems for my mum in particular. But although those things are worrying they don't occupy my mind as much as other things, like worrying about going on holiday, leaving my pets for so long, family members being in a car accident, perhaps things I can't control?

I'm constantly analysing and overthinking everything and it would just be so nice to be able to talk about this stuff with people who get it. I'm also a really caring, supportive person so I'd love to be able to help other people if I can! So, hi! :)

venusbluejeans
02-09-17, 21:19
Hiya Kloren and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

J-UK
10-09-17, 16:42
Hi Kloren.

I'm new here too, welcome aboard.

I can totally relate to the "over thinking everything". My thoughts tend to centre on how I assume others perceive me, mainly negatively of course, as I have low self worth/ low self confidence. I know how frustrating it can be to have an irrational thought, know it's irrational, yet still find it impossible to move on from it.

Like you I had suffered with depression in the past but have overcome that on the whole. The only time I fall into a low mood now is if I've gone through something that's made me feel anxious and useless... normally my face has flushed for no reasonable reason during a perfectly normal conversation and I've started sweating and had to escape asap.

I'm hoping this forum can be a bit of a breathing space to chat to people that can understand me a bit better and I hope you find the same :)

It's good that even with all your struggles you've pushed through to nearly complete your PhD! That's a big achievement.

Take care

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk