PDA

View Full Version : Setraline?

MissRose
04-09-17, 10:32
Hi All,

I am wondering if I could take some advice on Setraline?

I've just been prescribed 50mg from my doctor. It's now my 3rd day in, I generally feel OK, aside from my jaw feeling a bit weird!

I've made the silly mistake of looking up the side effects (my doc told me not to) and I'm worried that it could end up making me ill? I read something about Serotonin syndrome and I'm worrying myself!

Has anyone got any personal experiences or knowledge on Setraline?

Thank you!
:blush:

venusbluejeans
04-09-17, 10:37
Hiya MissRose and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Croydonbee
04-09-17, 12:20
Hiya again.
Well, I was put on Sertraline two weeks ago. It nothing changed - still riddled with overwhelming anxiety, tears and panic.
I saw my GP today and he's changed my medication to Mittazaoine.
I'm sure Sertraline will be ok for you - ignore all the lists of side effects. They have to include them even if one person out of a thousand were affected in trials.

The GP said I could also take Propranolol, which slows down the raging heart rage and can treat anxiety.

All these things take a week ot two to kick in (if indeed they do). So keep at it and I wish you all the best and good luck. Keep us posted.

Nige

MissRose
05-09-17, 10:33
Hi Croydonbee,

Thank you for your reassurance. I am persevering with them because I want to give them a chance to make me feel better. However, last night I woke up to the WORST panic attack I have EVER had. My whole body was shaking and dripping with sweat and I was crawling along the floor because I felt so weak! I asked my partner to call 999 but he realised I was just having an attack and eventually he calmed me down.

Have you ever had an attack like this? I am trying to reassure myself that it is just increased anxiety due to the tablets?

I hope the Mittazaoine works for you, how are you getting on?

Em

Croydonbee
05-09-17, 11:46
How terrifying. Poor you. My heart goes out to you. In my case I thought I was going to black out with fear, with pounding heart and legs shaking. Felt like my eyes were popping out of my head. Boiling hot flashes down my back. Terrifying. I controlled it with deep breathing through the nose and slow breathing out. I don't think sertraline had any side effects on me as such, they just had no effect.

Now, my friend recommended a beta blocker-type medication which is also used for anxiety and acts fast (within a few hours). It's called propanalol. The GP said it's fine to take with the other meds. I took 20mg at midday yesterday and within an hour or two I felt calmer - at least, there were no racing thoughts in my head or stabs of anxiety. It was the first time in 5 weeks that I felt relatively calm throughout the day. So maybe it's one to ask about. Some people swear by them and they are pretty harmless, I think.

I haven't taken any yet today, but as soon as my mind starts leaking stream of anxiety, I'll take them.

Were you asleep when you had that attack? Try and think of something, count backwards form 100 in threes, so the breathing etc. So much easier said than done, I know. And remember others are having the same and are with you.

I wish there was a regular meeting of people locally who have similar problems, I think it would help. Croydon, Wallington, Sutton, anywhere local.

Do take care. It may be worth asking your GP practice for the doctor to ring you back for advice.

All the best

Nige

MissRose
05-09-17, 12:35
Hi Nige,

Thank you so much for your post. What you described is exactly how I felt. When you're going through it you think you're so alone but speaking to like-minded people such as yourself, I feel far from it. The boiling sensation flushing through your body is something I've never had before - it's just terrifying!

A friend also recommended to take beta blockers alongside Sertraline, I wasn't aware you could take both and I think I may ask my GP for these too. Glad to hear they worked for you. I did call my doctor earlier, but a doctor who I'm not so fond of spoke to me instead and had absolutely no answer or reasoning for how I felt and just told me to keep taking the tabs - helpful! I am going back next week to see my doc so hopefully will be more settled then.

My partner said I was sleeping with my eyes open! And then I woke up and the panic attack hit me like a massive truck! Thanks for the tips, I will definitely try them - I'll try anything!

I think your idea of a local meeting would be brilliant. I really think it could work. Is there a way of us creating a group on here for local people and we can see who may be available?

Do let me know how you get on with your Mittazaoine too. If ever you need to talk, please feel free to speak to me.

Em

Croydonbee
05-09-17, 17:00
Hi Em
Having a GP who doesn't understand makes you even more anxious and set the cycle off again. That episode of yours sounded horrific. You probably woke up suddenly and then it happened.
My GP said I can definitely take the beta blocker med with an SSRI. Only been on it for a day, but I can feel a sort of soothing in the middle of my brain. Very odd. Apparently long-term anxiety sufferers can take it too on a daily basis.
Definitely worth asking. early days - only started on it yesterday , with the other SSRI.
Maybe I should try and set up a local meeting so we can all share our problems. We'd probably end up all too anxious to leave the house. Must be a comedy there somewhere... If it can't be done, I'd be happy to meet up with you at some point for a peppermint tea or something! Seriously, it's debilitating. I'm still exhausted and things feel a bit 'unreal' and I just want to sleep all the time. Always fear this condition or disorder means the end of a happy life and normality.
But my GP guarantees I will get better.
Have you had CBT? You can self-refer via IAPT (run by the Maudsley) and it's free on the NHS. They will set up a phone assessment. Takes a few weeks. Call 020 3228 4040 (9am-5pm Mon to Fri)and they will help. Lines might be busy at times. Your GP really should be advising you to do this if he hasn't already.
I'm willing to try anything!
Always here to talk and share. Thank goodness for this forum!
Cheers
Nige

MissRose
06-09-17, 10:12
Hi Nige,

You're so right. The doctor who prescribed me the meds was very understanding (he also advised me to self-refer to the NHS 'Uplif't CBT therapy program, I've not heard anything yet though). The doctor who phoned me I always try to avoid as he doesn't understand it at all.

I don't have a clue what caused the attack and last night I lay awake for a while really apprehensive of having another but luckily it didn't happen.

That's great to hear that you feel more soothed already, what a difference it could make long term. Have they any side effects?

Haha it would be quite comedic if we were all too anxious to make the meeting wouldn't it! Like something out of a Monty Pyhton sketch! Equally happy to share thoughts over a hot drink sometime too - I always feel better when I can talk to someone about all of this freely without really having to explain myself too much.

The 'unreal' feeling I totally understand. It's like being within yourself in a dream and your eyes feel so tired and weary. The tiredness never ends! I absolutely believe you will get better. You are already taking all the right steps to help yourself overcome this debilitating 'thing' (what do we even call it?!).

I actually have my first CBT session tomorrow evening. Whilst I wait to be contacted by the NHS, I thought I would try private for the meantime. £90 a session but I am willing to do anything at the moment! Has it helped you?

I concur - thank goodness for this forum indeed!

Em

pulisa
06-09-17, 13:20
I just wanted to say that it is quite common to get a significant rise in anxiety when you first start these drugs, especially if the dose is to high to begin with. Some people need to half the starting dose and build up gradually to a therapeutic dose. It's all a bit trial and error which can be very distressing when you're in the midst of awful panic. I'm sure your GP will have explained this though. Good luck with your CBT session-it will be worth the expense, I'm sure!

Croydonbee
06-09-17, 18:06
Hi Nige,

You're so right. The doctor who prescribed me the meds was very understanding (he also advised me to self-refer to the NHS 'Uplif't CBT therapy program, I've not heard anything yet though). The doctor who phoned me I always try to avoid as he doesn't understand it at all.

I don't have a clue what caused the attack and last night I lay awake for a while really apprehensive of having another but luckily it didn't happen.

That's great to hear that you feel more soothed already, what a difference it could make long term. Have they any side effects?

Haha it would be quite comedic if we were all too anxious to make the meeting wouldn't it! Like something out of a Monty Pyhton sketch! Equally happy to share thoughts over a hot drink sometime too - I always feel better when I can talk to someone about all of this freely without really having to explain myself too much.

The 'unreal' feeling I totally understand. It's like being within yourself in a dream and your eyes feel so tired and weary. The tiredness never ends! I absolutely believe you will get better. You are already taking all the right steps to help yourself overcome this debilitating 'thing' (what do we even call it?!).

I actually have my first CBT session tomorrow evening. Whilst I wait to be contacted by the NHS, I thought I would try private for the meantime. £90 a session but I am willing to do anything at the moment! Has it helped you?

I concur - thank goodness for this forum indeed!

Em

I arranged to see a pal today who understands these things, but felt ridiculously anxious and nauseous leading up to it and even during our get-together. Felt a bit better as it went on, but still felt flat. Now my head is whooshy and I feel tearful again and heavy-legged just want to sleep. Anxiety takes over leading up to any occasion. Tonight I'm seeing my brother's friend who has had private therapy and reckons this guy can really help me and that the programme can be set up within a day or two. I will try anything. CBT on the NHS is next week. I kind of know what the problem is, so I'm not convinced they can really it this affliction to bed, but, like I say, I am desperate.
Re the beta blocker tablets, no real side effects.
Do hope the CBT goes well for you.
Catch up soon and good luck

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

I just wanted to say that it is quite common to get a significant rise in anxiety when you first start these drugs, especially if the dose is to high to begin with. Some people need to half the starting dose and build up gradually to a therapeutic dose. It's all a bit trial and error which can be very distressing when you're in the midst of awful panic. I'm sure your GP will have explained this though. Good luck with your CBT session-it will be worth the expense, I'm sure!

Yes, we just have to be patient and hope the good effects kick in soon. So hard when nothing happens and then you have to try something else. Feels like a never-ending trial and each day is just another day to try and get through.

pulisa
06-09-17, 18:11
I know..It's exhausting battling this but you are doing all the right things to rise above the physical symptoms and not react with fear to them. It's far from easy and needs belief and dogged determination. I'm pleased you have supportive contacts and friends-it really helps.

Noivous
06-09-17, 18:22
Hi Miss Rose,

I posted this to another member on the Sertraline Forum a couple of days ago (cut and pasted below)...just a little more info for you.

Ho Milliemoo...first let me say I'm sorry for what you are going through. Sertraline in the beginning can be tough. You are in a place where most sertraline users have been...the dreaded dosage increase. When I was on sertraline every time I increased my dose my anxiety increased with it then subsided. I believe the lowest therupudic dosage for sertraline is 100mg. So the sooner you get there the sooner you will find out if it's for you. But eight weeks is a very short time. It can some times take from six months to a year to feel the full benefits of the medication. It's a very good drug for many but unfortunately it takes a little time to get going. Another thing you could try is uping your dose by 25mg instead of 50. Some people even do 12.5mg increases. Everybody is a little different. But it has helped millions of anxiety sufferers. Hang in there friend. Don't be afraid. The drug will not physically harm you. And emotionally it will most likely help you if you give it a chance.

N.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

oh yes...and stop Googling.