PDA

View Full Version : Nothing seems to help

fleurdelis
04-09-17, 16:58
I'm not even sure where to begin. The past three years of my life have been miserable, and it just seems to be getting worse lately (I'm now 28). I've had OCD (mostly obsessional) since my teens, but there was a brief period of time when I had it under control with medication. The medication ultimately stopped working, though, and nothing I have done since then has helped; in fact, I've begun to struggle with depression as well. I've been doing CBT for more than a year, I've been on something like six different medications, I practice mindfulness, I started exploring spirituality, I exercise...but my life just seems to spiral more out of control. It doesn't help that I live in an area with very limited access to mental health care; finding/switching psychiatrists and therapists is a problem, and GPs I've been to haven't typically been willing to tinker too much with psychiatric meds.

Work is a constant source of stress to me (I have major issues with my boss) and it barely pays anything, but I haven't been able to find anything better; in fact, I had to move back in with my mom after finishing grad school to save money. I don't feel like I have much of a future, career-wise, and I certainly don't feel like what I'm doing is worthwhile. I haven't been in a relationship for five years, and I'm not even sure anymore that I'm cut out for one; I've been halfheartedly seeing a couple of guys recently, but I no longer feel able to connect with anyone on any deep level, and I constantly feel as if I'm just performing--creating this version of myself that's bubbly and outgoing and happy. Part of the problem, I think, is that my father was emotionally abusive, so I learned to habitually mask any emotion that wasn't positive growing up--now I have a hard time dropping the act. But there are other issues, too--a lot of my obsessions revolve around sexuality, dating (and, really, most things) feels like a chore that I don't have energy for, etc.

Fundamentally, there are just very few things that engage me emotionally anymore; it's not just that I can't imagine external circumstances improving in the future, but that I can't imagine anything that could make me happy for more than a minute or two at a time.

I'm rambling, I know, but I'm not sure what else to do or where else to turn. I've felt particularly hopeless the last few weeks, to the point that suicide has been in the back of my mind more or less constantly. I don't have a plan, and the idea still scares me a little, but there's also something reassuring about it. I know it would hurt my mom, and that (quite frankly) her own life doesn't have a lot of happiness in it to begin with, but I also strongly believe I'm just making things harder for her at this point.

The thing that's pushed me over the edge today, stupidly, is a sunburn. I was sitting outside in the shade yesterday and somehow still managed to get burned on my back and shoulders--the umbrella must have been semi-sheer, I suppose. Not badly burned--it didn't blister or peel and is basically gone today--but I have fair skin/eyes/hair and can't even remember how many times I've gotten mild burns like this one, so I feel that I am destined to get melanoma. To be honest, the prospect of dying is something I'm fairly apathetic about at this point, but I really don't want to be sick, and I hate myself for having been so careless; I've only ever worn sunscreen when I knew I would be out in the sun, rather than every day like you're supposed to.

I know this worry is disproportionate and irrational, but like everything else, it hasn't been helped much by therapy and/or medication. My health anxiety is managed to the extent that it is not incapacitating--I'm not spending hours every day dwelling on it--but in the back of my mind, I'm nearly always convinced that I'm deathly ill, and living with those kinds of thoughts is not really living. I'm also discouraged by all the stories of people whose health anxiety was "cured" when they were diagnosed with an actual medical condition; my own health anxiety only really started after a medical problem (I had a series of spontaneous lung collapses at 20), so I'm not comforted by the idea that I'd be able to deal with a real problem when/if it arose. Frankly, I dealt with that problem extremely badly, and it's precisely the fact that I don't want to go through anything like it again that is troubling me now--coupled with all the other things going on in my life, I strongly feel I'd prefer to just check out now, while I'm in otherwise good health.

snowghost57
04-09-17, 17:49
Killing yourself hurts the ones you leave behind the most. I see in you're in the states like I am. Contact your local hospital or go online. Most hospitals have a mental health department or clinic. I find it surprising you have been "doing" CBT for over a year, what exactly are you doing? How you were raised is in the past you're an adult now. I would put dating on the back burner and concentrate on yourself. You said you finished grad school, does the school help graduates find jobs? Are they any professional organizations in your specialty you can join? The job market has picked up, you should try finding something you like to do. The issues with your boss are they based on your own stinking thinking? Are you able to discuss with the person on a professional level and resolve this?

Medication and therapy don't just fix anxiety and make it go away, YOU have to work on it as well.

AntsyVee
04-09-17, 18:11
Well, you're definitely depressed. I know it's hard to stay motivated to work on yourself when you're depressed, but it's the only way out of the hole. During my lowest moments, reading some books like Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" has helped me get some motivation. If someone can find the motivation to keep going while in a concentration camp, after knowing their whole family has probably been killed, then we owe it to ourselves to try to keep going as well.

I also think that medication is your key. You know it's worked before, but it's going to take time to find the right combination and dosages to work again. You're going to have to keep chippin away at it. Once you get back on some meds that work for you, I think you'll be able to work your CBT program a lot better.