PDA

View Full Version : Hypnagogic hallucinations experience yesterday

scareeed
05-09-17, 17:38
When i tryed to go to sleep yesterday i started to hear voices and phrases in my head, it was mostly voices and phrases from people i hang out tru the day yesterday and because i have GAD it freaked me out completely , and i have a few questions about it:
- can hypnagogic hallucinations turn to shizophrenia eventually
- are thouse voices and phrases the same way shizophrenic person has tru the whole day

Because i know it was voices in my mind and not outside and i dont know how shizophrenic person hears them?

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-17, 04:59
1) No. Hypnagogia & Hypnopompia are normal stages of sleep in human beings. A normal bodily process just like any other other.

2) I'm not sure on that but I'm also not sure it even matters because a Schizophrenic would be experiencing them outside of these normal sleep stages too. And don't forget, hallucinations aren't just about Schizophrenia anyway as even bereavement is a known cause of them.

Schizophrenia is about much more than hallucinations. I'm sure Vee will spot this thread and be able to tell you more about that. Hallucinations are what 90%+ of anxiety suffers worrying about Schizophrenia always focus on, occasionally one also raises other concerns. I think that's quite telling in the same way the HAers pick out a main symptom.

scareeed
06-09-17, 09:51
Thank you for reply, i have new fear now, hope that my inner voice wont change to external voice and halicunations..., it looks like there is only a thin line between.

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-17, 14:27
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a fine line between. If you mean crossing over into Schizophrenia I would say the line is massive.

My own internal voice sounds different to my external one and I can often hear it using other people's voices for various reasons. But I did find this all sounds much louder when at higher anxiety stages so you start questioning it.

scareeed
06-09-17, 18:19
Thats what im afraid the most. We all have inner voice, example: "I have to go to store...." but im afraid that its a small step to turn to shizophrenia, and i will become to hear my inner voice loudly and start halucinate.. :(

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-17, 18:32
Well Hynagogia/Hypnopompia can be ruled out because they are sleep stages that come with many sleep phenomena. Hallucinating outside of these stages is when you need to consider a doctor but even then there are other explanations than what you are fearing.

So, it takes you back to the whole question of "am I, "could I". But where are the actual Schizophrenia symptoms? Fearing your inner voice could change to outer makes it no more likely to happen than someone who gives it no thought at all, so it's anxiety and that's something you can work on to help yourself get beyond this fear. Learning not to fear loss of control is often a big feature of our disorders, it's not easy learning to let go of it.