PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything blamed on anxiety?

Thelegend27
05-09-17, 18:48
I've noticed alot of users on nmp tend to blame anxiety right out of the gate, no matter what the symptoms are they still blame it on anxiety, and when someone comes along who has had a similar experience and tries to relate to the op and give them some tips and tell them what to watch for other users go into a frenzy and start making silly accusations.

i know anxiety can cause alot of symptoms, im not new to this. but when someone posts a thread and are explaining symptoms that clearly could signal more than anxiety it would be wise to let them know instead of sugar coating things only to reduce anxiety.

i appreciate the help nmp users have provided me with in reducing my anxiety, and while i may not have anything serious wrong with me health wise i still take other peoples questions seriously.

if you're experiencing real symptoms such as irregular heart beats, pain, swelling or anything else that is clearly physically happening and not mentally i wouldnt recommend consulting with anyone online because the information online is half truths and everything is linked to anxiety.

no offense to any of you nmp users, youre great people, but blaming everything on anxiety right from the start is a silly move, i say this because i had heart palpitations and i listened to everyone online saying it was anxiety up until i was diagnosed with an arrythmia, and ive seen countless other users who have came back with a diagnosis after being told it was anxiety.

ServerError
05-09-17, 19:01
I do not "blame anxiety right out of the gate", as you put it. I assume you're smarting from being disagreed with on Hypomean's thread.

In some cases, we explain why anxiety is the most likely cause. In many cases, it is. This is simply meant as reassurance, and categorically does not mean that more in-depth analysis from doctors shouldn't be sought. Any new symptoms should be discussed with your doctor. But at the same time, a chronic anxiety sufferer's vague new symptoms are most likely linked to their anxiety disorder, and there's no harm in telling them such as it may provide reassurance. They can and should still go to the doctor and get it checked.

In the case of someone like Hypomean, I'm really not sure how you can say anxiety was blamed "right out of the gate". Like most people on here, she has seen countless doctors and had numerous tests. Her diagnosis is anxiety. Yes, some conditions can be difficult diagnose. Things do get missed. But what are we supposed to say? Ignore all the experts and keep pushing until you're diagnosed with a rare illness? All I do in offering advice to people diagnosed with anxiety and nothing else is help them attempt to rationalise along those lines. I'm not qualified to speculate on what rare, hard-to-detect, heart condition someone may have. So I defer absolutely to the experts.

If people want to push and push against their anxiety diagnosis and keep chasing that breeze, they can do. One thing I will say is this: I accepted my diagnosis and allowed the doctors to reassure me. I am now free of anxiety.

Gary A
05-09-17, 20:41
If you're stupid enough to seek medical advice online before consulting a professional then that's your own fault.

Personally, I only ever tell people that their symptoms could all be caused by anxiety, but it's better to seek professional advice. In the event that this has been done and the professional opinion is that a particular posters symptoms are anxiety related, then it would be absolutely ridiculous for anyone here to disagree with that.

This is an anxiety forum, if people are using it to seek medical advice then they're simply misusing the forum, aren't they?

Mrs.Anxiety
05-09-17, 20:47
Interesting topic. I think the main reason why most of us are on here is that we suffer from anxiety. So if we see posters who constantly ask about symptoms or feeling sensations, it's most likely anxiety. I don't necessarily think healthy people without anxiety who could have a serious health problem stumble on this forum. Does it mean it's possible to suffer from anxiety and have a serious health issue happen? Of course! Is it most likely to happen a lot? Not really. Does anxiety manifest really "real" physical symptoms?" Yes. Do anxiety symptoms change or get worse over time? Yes. Also, I find that the majority of us love our doctors and having tests done. I've had two echocardiograms, multiple ECG's, and wore a monitor for a week. I've had two cardiologists tell me I'm fine. Will I keep worrying and ocassionally post about my heart? You bet. It's tough out there.

Thelegend27
05-09-17, 21:01
I agree with you, a lot of the time it is anxiety just like most of my fears come from anxiety. But when you recognize symptoms its always best to point it out. My neighbor and I were talking on the sidewalk one day, and we were talking about me going to the hospital to have my irregular heart beat checked and treated, he told me he sometimes feels this flutter in his chest, as if a butterfly was flapping its wings really chest, and I told that's similar to what I felt when I had my episode of afib, so he later went and got a holder monitor (a portable ekg) and luckily he experienced the palpitations while wearing the monitor and they detected he also had afib, and now that he's found the ad in he lives a lot better now then he did because before he worried all the time thinking something was wrong with his heart but now he knows he only has lone afib so he can now put his worries aside and continue enjoying life. Different arrhythmias usually show different symptoms, I have experienced afib, pvcs, and more first hand so I know what it feels like I've been there so when I hear someone explaining their symptoms and it sounds like something I've experienced I will tell them. Fish kept saying I was projecting my fears, I don't understand why he says that, what would that achieve? For one afib isn't something in itself to fear, as doctor Jacob from York cardiology says "young people with afib in the absence of heart disease has no significant increase in complications due to the afib alone. Less than 2% in 4000 young patients with afib experienced any complications in a 15 year long study" so what fears could I possibly be projecting? I feared the reason why I had afib, I did not fear afib itself, because afib can be a complication from heart disease, so until I got that ruled out yes I did worry.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

I meant DR Sanjay. Stupid
Spell correct.

Gary A
05-09-17, 21:24
Your argument doesn't wash here, frankly.

You're referring to someone who has been tested and reassured by a team of medical professionals. You're making the mind boggling assumption that this team of professionals don't know what warrants holter monitoring, but you do.

In essence, you are accusing these people of being incompetent to the point of forgetting to carry out a basic cardiology investigation in the midst of possible cardiac symptoms. Do you honestly believe that type of inference is helpful to someone who is struggling with health anxiety?

Now, because your nose was knocked out of joint, you're here saying that "everything" is blamed on anxiety. Again, this is an anxiety forum, we are trying to calm people down and see some logic, so for you to dismiss what medical professionals have told someone is pretty poor form, in my book.

Leah88
05-09-17, 23:37
I do like your tough love approach Gary ...

Capercrohnj
06-09-17, 00:00
My Crohn's was misdiagnosed as IBS so according to your logic I should jump into every thread that someone mentions obvious IBS symptoms with no red flag symptoms and tell my story about how because of my misdiagnosis I almost died? Nope not helpful at all. Needless fear mongering isn't helpful at all.

Catherine S
06-09-17, 00:26
Also, anxiety...if not the cause...can prolong certain conditions, so it's always reassuring for people who join the forum to be aware of that too. It's not an exact science.

We do our best to reassure people who join us and assume they're joining because of anxiety/panic/depression. Having a misdiagnosis from your doctor isn't good, but not our fault either. As Capercrohnj said, we try to help in good faith and without unnecessary scare-mongering.

The outcome for you ended up being a true organic heart problem and i'm sorry to hear that, but i've had pvcs for over 40 years and take beta blockers for them because they're a nuisance and nothing more. I had an ecg in June and they're still just a nuisance and nothing more. So I share my own experience with those who join to seek reassurance, because that's all we signed up to do.

Cath S ☺

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-17, 05:38
Venus makes it clear above, but we all break that rule constantly and some of the boards themselves are geared to giving medical advice (Meds, Therapy, Natural Remedies) so it will always be a pointless unenforceable rule.

However, I think you look at what the person is saying and how they are falling into the usual traps of the HAer e.g. I'm tired a lot do I have cancer, I heard a fluttering so did a bat bite me and have I got rabies, etc. Only on a HA board would you hear stuff like this. Why is that do you think?

As for going to a GP over every new symptom, I would disagree with that. You can't go through life living in a doctor's waiting room over every lump, bump, sore throat and anything else. That's just feeding HA because the non anxious tend not to do it, just as the anxious but non HAers like me don't. Even GP's discourage this behaviour these days, my surgery has even stopped their walk in service after decades because they can't staff it under NHS cuts anymore (and can't get suitable replacement doctors for those they are losing) and part of this is non HA time wasters who head for a GP rather than wait, dose themselves up or get OTC's.

OP - disagreements occur. Just as there are no doctors on here there are also no therapists (well, the odd sufferer themselves have passed through) so advice is just that and no one's advice is better than any other. Assumptions are plentiful on here and we are doing a lot of best guess work. So, if a few people don't agree with you, who cares? No one has been right anyway unless a doctor or therapist agrees a lot of the time. There's nothing wrong with raising something genuinely to help as long as it's done the right way.

Fishmanpa
06-09-17, 12:56
no offense to any of you nmp users, youre great people, but blaming everything on anxiety right from the start is a silly move, i say this because i had heart palpitations and i listened to everyone online saying it was anxiety up until i was diagnosed with an arrythmia, and ive seen countless other users who have came back with a diagnosis after being told it was anxiety.

Of the tens of thousands of posts and fears that I've read here, only TWO turned out to be what the OP feared and both are doing fine now. In fact, their anxiety took a back seat while they dealt with things and happened to stay in the backseat afterwards. It seemed the challenge gave them a different attitude toward life. There have been a few (less than 10 that I know of), similar to you where there was an actual physical cause but a non-life threatening benign issue that could be treated.

Yes, people with anxiety get sick. If something warrants a medical professional, then sure, see a medical professional. BUT... when looking at post history, one can see that the fear of _____ has been going on sometimes for YEARS, then yes, the same fear, the same symptoms that have been tested and seen by medical professional is in fact a normal aspect of life overblown and exasperated by anxiety!

For goodness sakes, your node issues/fears are all anxiety! I know someday, chances are someone will realize their fear but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll reiterate that talking about your personal situation may be beneficial for someone suffering the same condition BUT to suggest on heart palp threads of members that have been diagnosed with anxiety that doctors miss shit and they should run to be tested is frankly irresponsible! Especially those that have been tested repeatedly, seen several doctors and have been spinning around the rabbit hole for years. All it does is give their dragon a big 'ol helping of OMG to feed on! The doctor they need to see specializes in illnesses of the mind ;)

Positive thoughts

KK77
06-09-17, 16:59
There's nothing wrong with raising something genuinely to help as long as it's done the right way.
What is the "right way" to raise it?

ServerError
06-09-17, 17:14
I think the occasions when raising a scarier possibility than anxiety on an anxiety forum will be few and far between. It just isn't appropriate, unless what the poster describes absolutely screams danger.

The OP's complaint is that people jump straight to anxiety. But this is almost never the case. People nearly always come to the forum with an anxiety diagnosis and numerous tests and medical opinions behind them. That's not declaring anxiety "straight out of the gate".

Most of the time, people's symptoms are vaguely described, and without any expertise and without examining the person, all we can go on is the evidence and the odds. In most cases, you'll have a solid anxiety diagnosis and a bunch of symptoms which are caused by anxiety more commonly than anything else. So it's irresponsible to raise anything else in front of a clearly terrified person. We should be focused on helping them to rationalise and to cope. Sooner or later, we probably will suggest anxiety and have it turn out to be something else, but not our job to catch that.

It worries me when I see people randomly throwing alternative, often scarier, diagnoses at people who've already been under medical care. I don't see what it achieves and it doesn't help.

MyNameIsTerry
06-09-17, 17:17
What is the "right way" to raise it?

Isn't that self explanatory? Not doing so in a way to cause further anxiety perhaps?

KK77
06-09-17, 17:23
Isn't that self explanatory? Not doing so in a way to cause further anxiety perhaps?

No need to be so defensive. No, it was rather vague. It's very difficult to gauge whether your comments will trigger further anxiety. Unless you have mind-reading capabilities. You can only "assume".

But thank you for clarification.

Leah88
07-09-17, 08:13
I agree with fish, terry,server and Gary. If you want a diagnosis, then go to Dr's. If you want a rational clear mind to talk to during a panic attack, post on NMP.

swajj
07-09-17, 09:59
You've been around here long enough to know that you are exaggerating. Sure there are times when people here get told that their problems are most likely due to anxiety. But that is after they have admitted that doctors and medical tests have shown that they do not have a physical illness. As I said you've been here long enough to know that is the truth so what is your agenda?

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

No need to be so defensive. No, it was rather vague. It's very difficult to gauge whether your comments will trigger further anxiety. Unless you have mind-reading capabilities. You can only "assume".

But thank you for clarification.

lol

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

I think you want to discuss symptoms, probably your own. How many threads have you started about your lymph nodes? When no one wanted to discuss them anymore you started threads about other things but they were basically still about your lymph nodes lol

Maybe you should see a psych.

Lola-Lee
07-09-17, 10:19
I agree with fish, terry,server and Gary. If you want a diagnosis, then go to Dr's. If you want a rational clear mind to talk to during a panic attack, post on NMP.

Geezus,,when I am having a panic attack I can't even see properly to log in and write and ask for help and if I did no one would reply anyway.

Gary A
07-09-17, 10:21
The bottom line is that the OP was disagreed with and mildly chastised in another thread so has decided to have a tantrum disguised as a question.

If anyone has ever read the home page on this website, it states that seeing a doctor is imperative and only after a diagnosis of anxiety has been given by a medical professional should they then seek further advice here.

If people are using this forum as a substitute for actual clinical diagnosis then they are, frankly, stupid. At what point could anyone with a modicum of common sense think that a forum full of unqualified strangers are a better option than a real life hands on trained professional who is meeting you face to face?

I find it astonishing, and rather alarming, that people may actually be doing that.

Lola-Lee
07-09-17, 10:26
A Song by The Doors. People are Strange :wacko:

swajj
07-09-17, 10:39
Missed that thread and can't be bothered looking for it.

I think many people land here because they want to discuss their symptoms. They have exhausted the patience of doctors and significant other people in their real lives who want no part of discussing the perceived physical symptoms of someone they know has a mental illness. So no they aren't here seeking a diagnosis because they have already had that.

Leah88
07-09-17, 11:51
I've been thinking some more about this post and a way I'd describe why I often tell people it's anxiety is, for eg. At the moment I have a sore forearm and my OCD brain says bone metastasis - however- if I were diagnosed with carpal tunnel which statistically is more likely to be, I would actually count the diagnosis as anxiety even though there is a minor physical underlying issue. Most people have these sometimes painful but non life threatening conditions and people without anxiety often go years without being diagnosed as they aren't hyper aware of every pain, they just go about their lives with the condition.
I'm not saying heart arythmia is nothing, just that a lot more people out there would have it without being diagnosed because they don't have a million tests to diagnose it, they just go about their business as it's not the same as a blocked aortic valve with an imminent heart attack.
Not the best explanation sorry.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-17, 13:52
A Song by The Doors. People are Strange :wacko:

"Women seem wicked, when you're not wanted"

Starting music to the film, Lost Boys. Classic film.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

I've been thinking some more about this post and a way I'd describe why I often tell people it's anxiety is, for eg. At the moment I have a sore forearm and my OCD brain says bone metastasis - however- if I were diagnosed with carpal tunnel which statistically is more likely to be, I would actually count the diagnosis as anxiety even though there is a minor physical underlying issue. Most people have these sometimes painful but non life threatening conditions and people without anxiety often go years without being diagnosed as they aren't hyper aware of every pain, they just go about their lives with the condition.
I'm not saying heart arythmia is nothing, just that a lot more people out there would have it without being diagnosed because they don't have a million tests to diagnose it, they just go about their business as it's not the same as a blocked aortic valve with an imminent heart attack.
Not the best explanation sorry.

I agree with you, Leah. Outside of HA you see a GP if you're having problems that you need help with. Many things can be dealt with without a doctor. Doctors rarely consider anything that isn't licensed so do I want NSAIDS for my back issues or strong painkillers just because it's all he can give me? Wait months to see a physio who may just give a worksheet of exercises that are on many health sites including the NHS?

My anxiety absolutely makes it worse. Morning anxiety is a pain all of it's own so add this on top and it's like it's amplified into HD! In my blips I also feel aches & pains more just as I feel my symptoms more.

becca98
08-09-17, 01:53
''no offense to any of you nmp users, youre great people, but blaming everything on anxiety right from the start is a silly move, i say this because i had heart palpitations and i listened to everyone online saying it was anxiety up until i was diagnosed with an arrythmia''

why would you listen to random people online? If you posted your genuine medical worries on a medical site you'd of been told to go to the doctors you posted them on a anxiety forum, if about 5 different people comment saying go to the doctors your anxiety would of got worse, you should always go to the GP about anything health wise wrong, not come on a site for people with health anxiety as you're going to have people think its just anxiety :unsure: I feel like this post is very stupid due to the fact how much help people have given you on your nodes even after scans and tests.

If you want medical advice go to the doctors random people from the internet cant diagnose you or see you, if you rely on a diagnosis from the internet you're a idiot.

Thelegend27
19-09-17, 03:54
well for one if people dont want to hear possibiliies then they shouldnt come on here asking medical question that only a doctor is fit to answer. because yes alot of us can relate to certain symptoms and some of us are not afraid to express concerns to the op. if you want help with your anxiety dont ask why this and why that, just simply tell your story and ask how you can soothe the anxiety your situation has caused. ive asked many people about my concerns who can relate to me but i can handle the truth if you think i have a serious physical problem i can take it thats why im not afraid to ask. i agree that anyone with concerns should always see a dr before turning to the internet thats what ive done and i would encourage everyone to do the same. and nobodies throwing a tantrum, i just get sick of everyone blaming anxiety, my anxiety doesnt give me heart palps, my heart palps give me anxiety, and im sure the same applies to alot of people on here, may their symptoms caused the anxiety and not the other way around, and although its likely a benign occurence it still causes anxiety but every doctor you turn to wants to say the anxiety came first.

au Lait
19-09-17, 05:15
Anxiety really is the cause of many of our symptoms though. We all know our own bodies better than anyone else, so if someone truly feels that something is wrong then it is their responsibility to follow up with their dr. But, at the same time, many people with HA mistake their anxiety symptoms for something other than anxiety. I try to only speak up when I feel that's the case, because I know that when I'm in an anxiety spiral I need to be told so. I try to only say what I feel would help me if I were in the OP's situation.

Nothing is black and white, so I don't necessarily think that it's wise to ignore symptoms in every instance. In that sense I agree with you in part. We all need to walk that fine line between knowing what's really something to be concerned about and knowing what's not. But if someone's been to five different docs and every test is coming back negative, yet they're still convinced they're dying..I'm sorry but that's clearly their health anxiety and they need to know that. Or if they're worried about a completely improbable situation or illness, they need to know it's anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-17, 05:22
It can be like that with doctors. Whilst HA boards like this tend to have the opposite where doctors are throwing tets at people for no good reason a lot of the time, in less HA circles you find attitudes differ.

My asthma collides with my anxiety. I have anxiety symptoms around breathing and quite naturally having asthma means it will try to use that. If my asthma plays up, there can be anxiety about this and round we go.

As far as seeing doctors, do you think everyone does that for everything seen on here? A bump, a bruise, a mark, headaches, banged heads, etc. Do you think non anxious people go to the doctor for things like this? Some do, most won't because they've been having these occurences all their lives. As a non HAer I don't see doctors for any of this stuff because it makes no sense to me to rule things out when these are common things we experience many times throughout life.

That's a nice disclaimer to have - always see the doctor first. In reality, that's not how balanc works and surely conquering your HA is about knowing when something demands medical attention and when it doesn't? Not getting that balance is just more reassurance seeking as you don't need to be there.

But Legend, you also have to remember that some on here are more fragile than others. That's why I say you need to be careful and find the right way to talk about things. Some people will panic over a mere suggestion and you do need to be sure the person you are talking to won't react badly. You won't get it 100%, no one does, and I've had people sometimes say something I've said has made them anxious. Even therapists, psychiatrists, etc cause that in patients. Anyone who thinks they can be 100% there isn't being truthful.

What you said, you did it with the best of intentions. It may not have been what the OP wanted to hear but we all make mistakes. A thread like this is ill advised because it's just an argument thread as it will attract the same people and off it all goes again. But I don't see why it's not a good forum topic otherwise and it's one of many threads about the same thing.

kimwolf
25-09-17, 01:25
Yeah people do have health problems, but if the problems magically start when they start thinking about an illness then there's a good chance its caused by anxiety.

PanickyGuy
25-09-17, 05:53
Nothing is black and white, so I don't necessarily think that it's wise to ignore symptoms in every instance. In that sense I agree with you in part. We all need to walk that fine line between knowing what's really something to be concerned about and knowing what's not. But if someone's been to five different docs and every test is coming back negative, yet they're still convinced they're dying..I'm sorry but that's clearly their health anxiety and they need to know that. Or if they're worried about a completely improbable situation or illness, they need to know it's anxiety.

Yep! That right there is why most people answer most posts and come to the conclusion that it's just anxiety\panic attacks, especially if their doctor told them it was anxiety, after all kinds of thorough physical testing was made by the doc. Because who's going to have more training then any one of us here on this website? Why their doctor of course, who saw them physically in the flesh and knows exactly what to look for.

So we can't help but agree with the doctor based on what they told us, from what their doctor told them. Because we can't see or hear the person on the other side of the screen, all we can do is read, relate, console, convince them they're not dying and try to tell them to hang in there.

Otherwise if they don't mention what their doctor told them or if they haven't been to a doctor yet and they start listing off physical symptoms, we must assume that it could be something serious and therefore, tell them in a calmly tone to see their doc ASAP and leave it at that. But usually the OP mentions doctors, tests, results and then it becomes clear why they're here, just like most of us and then we can go on from there based on what their doctor told them.