PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hi

Tori46
06-09-17, 11:34
I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'v had generalised anxiety disorder for over 20 years but for many of those years, it has been well controlled with antidepressant medication. Unfortunately, over the last six months, its all gone a bit pear shaped and i'm left with the same old awful panic attacks and severe anxiety. I work full time so it's causing massive problems there as you can imagine, as I keep having to have days off as I physically don't feel able to get in the car and drive myself there. Things aren't much better when I'm at home, as I have begun to panic when I'm alone there too. Its a comfort to know that other people understand how i'm feeling as my other half doesn't have a clue how to support me through this. Im currently waiting for CBT but I've been told the waiting list is appox 5 months. Sorry for 'going on a bit'.

Tori :weep:

venusbluejeans
06-09-17, 11:41
Hiya Tori46 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

MissRose
06-09-17, 12:23
Hey Tori,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this :(

Much like you, I have been suffering for a number of years (17 to be precise!), however for the most part I have been able to keep it under control. However in the last few months it has become severe and I also find it is controlling my day to day life. My panic attacks are the worst they have ever been. I can no longer go to the cinema - or even IKEA! I feel panicky even in my own house sometimes for absolutely no reason. I really feel for you because it's just so debilitating.

I went to see my GP and I am now taking Sertraline. I'm only 5 days in so I can't really comment on whether it is helping, but I have seen many people say it's helped so I'm trying to be positive. Have you seen your GP about how you are feeling?

I am also on the waiting list for NHS CBT. Have you considered going private in the meantime? I've found a place local to me (South London), who do CBT for £90 a session. I know it's expensive but I am willing to pay anything!

What triggers your anxiety?

Please know you are not alone in this! Always here to speak to if you need to :)

Em x