PDA

View Full Version : The powers of Anxiety

Clydesdale Epona
07-09-17, 01:29
I weren't really sure where to post this in but felt like posting it because I realized something and I hope it can help you too.

sometimes you seriously have to take a step back and really carefully think about what you're feeling and here's why.

about a week or two ago I went up to the doctors because I really couldn't breathe. I seemed to get out of breath very often and over doing practically nothing, he gave me an inhaler to try and to see if it helps and well its surprising how the week transpired but cutting the long story short I got suspicious yesterday when I had to climb 2 flights of stairs three times and walk around a huge campus twice. did I use it? no. so it couldn't be asthma right? exactly. because it wasn't, it was all down to anxiety and panic. all those times I "couldn't breath" my heart was leaping out my chest and the same thing happened again tonight(I received some particularly bad news) and almost 20 seconds later on came the familiar feeling except this time I didn't use my inhaler and guess what? it passed. all by itself.
seriously never underestimate the power of your anxiety, fears, mind, or even body sometimes. what you may feel is 100% real but it can be down to the mind. there doesn't always have to be a physical reason why.

best wishes :hugs:

Noivous
07-09-17, 02:38
The power of the mind...so true.

ServerError
07-09-17, 02:44
Would be good for some on the HA board to see this.

There's some really exceptional stuff on there lately that has sadly not really got much of a reaction.

MyNameIsTerry
07-09-17, 02:55
Do you have asthma? I recall on another thread you mentioned the inhaler was prescribed because of another condition which would mean a Reliever rather than Preventer. In asthma, you need both or the condition is untreated as it's about prevention with the Preventer and learning about triggers.

As an asthma sufferer, I rarely use a Reliever because I prefer to control my breathing to get me through it.

It's still great that you powered through it, I'm not saying it isn't.

It would be worth raising that with your GP too, they give out Relievers for people having issues with breathing e.g. seasonal allergies, but they don't tend to keep people on them in these circumstances like an asthma sufferer.

If he only gave you a Reliever, I doubt he suspects asthma as it wouldn't be the way to treat it - unless he was still diagnosing and needed to get you a immediate help.

Again, well done. I've had to go through a load of this because my anxiety focussed on my breathing and it was very hard to work out which (something which it seems you are doing as this good post shows!) but anxiety certainly does impact on breathing so much, posture too which again impacts on breathing.

Noivous
07-09-17, 08:15
Would be good for some on the HA board to see this.

There's some really exceptional stuff on there lately that has sadly not really got much of a reaction.

I think there are some that avoid the HA boards simply because reading it could actually trigger their own HA.

N.

pulisa
07-09-17, 08:27
I really hate the HA board. I can't see how it helps people at all. Most of the helpful and constructive advice is swallowed up and passed by. I think the lack of responses for Robin's CBT4Panic thread illustrates this well.

Noivous
07-09-17, 08:54
I really hate the HA board. I can't see how it helps people at all. Most of the helpful and constructive advice is swallowed up and passed . by. I think the lack of responses for Robin's CBT4Panic thread illustrates this well.

I get your point Pulisa. It may help some but personally I get more out of the misc board than anything. I think the HA board can be a lot like Googling symptoms. But I don't want to discount all the threads. Some are helpful and informative. Like the ones that tell people to stop Googling!:D

N.

pulisa
07-09-17, 09:23
I know I shouldn't even look at the HA board because it's not at all helpful for me in my situation. I'd like to think that some people take note of all the helpful and constructive advice and some members really do try their very hardest to make a difference-usually those who have been through the very worst of it. I hate to see their advice discarded in favour of Dr Google..

Sorry...I do agree that this very insightful thread should be on the HA forum but it will probably get more attention here and can receive more positive responses to Clydesdale Epona's success story!

Gary A
07-09-17, 10:27
I really hate the HA board. I can't see how it helps people at all. Most of the helpful and constructive advice is swallowed up and passed by. I think the lack of responses for Robin's CBT4Panic thread illustrates this well.

I have to agree. Very few people want to discuss the anxiety aspect of their symptoms, it's basically just another place for people to focus on their physical symptoms and whichever horrifying illness they've decided they must have.

99% of that board is just people seeking medical advice, even though there's a sticky that specifically says not to seek medical advice on here. I used to think that it was worthwhile telling someone that their symptoms could be signs of a totally benign condition, but it's really about as useful as an underwater hairdryer.

Lola-Lee
07-09-17, 10:45
I know I shouldn't even look at the HA board because it's not at all helpful for me in my situation. I'd like to think that some people take note of all the helpful and constructive advice and some members really do try their very hardest to make a difference-usually those who have been through the very worst of it. I hate to see their advice discarded in favour of Dr Google..

Sorry...I do agree that this very insightful thread should be on the HA forum but it will probably get more attention here and can receive more positive responses to Clydesdale Epona's success story!

Could not agree more.:yesyes: