PDA

View Full Version : Bach emeregency remedie and st john wort???

ashnjim
06-06-07, 13:07
Hi sorry i havent been around much but i managed a trip to edinbrugh last week which is a great qachievement for me. couldnt have done it without you guys.

i need your help again please xxxxxx

The doctors wont prescribe me with any form of medication for my panic attacks because of my age and because i tried taking my life 5 years ago (i tried twice)

i am getting sick of being on income support so i have been trying to help myself and give myself a boost so i can get back into work as i am only nineteen and have had this condition for five years- those have been the worst five years of my life and teenage years are supposed to be the best years of ones life.

i suffer from panic attack which leads me to have ibs like symptoms such as needing to empty my bowels,

i went to the chemist and asked for their help because the doctors dont seem to care or help me in anyway they have just given up on me, BUT im not, its mylife.

anyways i went and the pharmicist offered bach emergency remedie (spray on tongue) and st john wort, they said st john wort will take ages to work.

can anyone please help do these medicines work or am i wasting my time and money?????:shrug:

thank you :hugs:
Ashley xxxxxxxxxxx

kazzie
06-06-07, 14:40
Hi Ashley

Well done on your recent trip!!!!

I cant comment on st johns wort as I have never taken it

Bach remedies work as do kalms tablets but you should really insist your gp takes you seriously

Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge than me will answer you better soon

Take Care

Luv Kaz x x x

honeybee
06-06-07, 15:09
hello... my mum has always used bach flower remedies... here's a link to the website

http://www.bach-flowers.co.uk/bach_flower_remedies.asp

i think if you're looking for them to cure your panic attacks it just wont happen... you need to do that yourself by eliminating the fear of them and just letting time pass but they definately do help... you can use up to about 6 at a time (cant remeber exactly how many), but find the ones that are most suited to your personality at the moment and they really can help, check the website out...

as for st johns wort... my ex took it for a while... he went through a REALLY tough time and hit rock bottom and with the help of councilling and st johns wort he was back to himself again... ive never taken it but he swore it helped him...

Insomniac
07-06-07, 20:51
Hi there ashley.

I always keep a bottle of bachs rescue remedy with me. Two spray on the tongue when you need it and it really help me stay in control. I still use the breathing & relaxation exercises I have learned from the Home page and self-help here, but the RR helps me be able to do this instead of just reacting badly.

St John's Wort has worked for me in the past, though I am not on it now. It takes a few weeks to get into your system, though you can get it in tincture (liquid) form from a health food shop and drink with some water. It doesnt taste good but it does help. And I also think you should see your GP again. If he/she won't help, then ask to speak to a different one!

Frankie23
07-06-07, 22:01
ive been taking bachs its quite good but wont iradicate panic attacks best bet is going back to your docs and also talking over your fears on here.

xxx

ashnjim
08-06-07, 01:33
Hi guys thank you for all your feedback, it is very much appreciated and asll taking on board.
i have done well in tackling my panic attack over the five years with out any medication. i must say i have came a long way since it begun, but i feel i need something to maybe point me in the right direction, i so much want a job right now as i am not a lazy person but am just sick. i feel bored and upset at times because i want to live a normal life filled with happiness and minus those dam panic attacks.

i say to myself and i know this sounds mad but often out loud " I AM fighting this and i WILL win"
this is my life and im going to make something of it.

thanks for your help guys your are all always there when we all need you's and for that i thank you all very much and i hope you all know how much you are appreciated here.

god bless you all xxxxxxxxxx

Ashley
Panic attacks - IBS
19years old
Scotland

p.s what do you think of my finishing off with my name age and where i am and what my condition is, good idea? bad idea?

Quiet-Lift
08-06-07, 01:42
Hi Ashnjim

Congrats on your Edinbro' trip...wish i could do it...
I'm trying St. Jons Wort at the mo'...too early to tell yet. tried Rescue Remedy once...got drunk! No seriously...I wasn't aware of anything much...maybe it has a comforting placebo effect?
Doctors eh? What on earth do they get paid for!
No matter if teenage years are supposed to be the best, you've got many more years of hope and happiness ahead of you...believe me. Give yourself big credits for getting through the last five. The attempts to take your own life are nothing to be ashamed of...we all have our own breaking points. I'm truly glad you didn't succeed, 'cos if you had - I wouldn't be typing this now.
How many Docs have you tried? You do have the right to change your GP. Not easy I know, but it's worth considering if they are being unhelpful.

Take care

Tricky Tree
09-06-07, 18:54
Change your GP. Seriously. Or ask for another doctor in the practice.

St Johns Wort is supposed to be very good, but nothings going to be an instant thing.

I use rescue remedy - at best it can help take the edge off what youre feeling.

I would recommend talking to your GP and getting your name down for counselling (Im paying privately for this - waiting list on NHS is ages!)

You have done well to get through this so far with no medication - big yourself up.

Read some positive stuff on helping get through it (as opposed to negative stuff on the symptoms - we all know what they are!!). I recommend Paul McKenna - Im halfway through his confidence book at the minute.

Think positive - you will get through this. You have your whole life ahead of you.

lucy0927
10-06-07, 17:02
I've started using Rescue Remedy recently and I've found it's been a great help. It helps take the edge off my anxiety and gives me a chance to distract myself from the symptons when they start.

Sometimes I think it's just the fact that my mind thinks it's working that makes me feel a little better but I wouldn't be without it at the moment.

breeze25
11-06-07, 16:08
Hi, I tried St john wort and had to stop as they were giving me nasty side effects, severe dizziness, although perhaps if I had stayed with it, the dizziness might have gone.

I now use rescue remedy and find like the others it takes the edge off my panic.

I did see a hypnotherapist years ago as I was having severe panic attacks and several a day, after 6 sessions I felt much better and now only seem to get the off panic attack when freaking out about a health issue. Managed several years without when, and then had half a dozen in the past month, so there has been a big improvement.

laura84
12-06-07, 04:55
Hi Ashley,
i recently did the bach Course and I would recommend them, especially resuce remedy and also sweet chestnut and star of bethlehem. St John's wort can be great, but it is mainly good for generalised anxiety disorder and it may not help with PD. Worth a shot though, be careful if you do go on any other medications as st johns wort can impact on others meds. I'm on Zoloft (an SSRI) and I can't take St Johns wort as well...
I think though that taking you off meds sounds a little strange and perhaps get a second opinion if you feel like it.
I hope your panic is fading sweetheart!
Laura