PDA

View Full Version : Scared I have cervical cancer

CanadianChica
08-09-17, 06:21
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site but sadly, not new to anxiety(of all kinds) My worst is Health anxiety. Anyways, I am terrified I have cervical cancer. I went last week for my pap and when asked when my last one was, I said 4 years ago, I think. The Dr(who is NOT my normal Dr., she is another in the office, as mine is on vacation) went to check the files and couldn't find anything about my last pap(Which was done at an urgent care place due to bad pelvic pain). The Dr. told me it appears that I didn't have that pap, maybe it got lost so someone at the urgent care screwed something up. Right then I started to freak, realizing that instead of 4 years ago, my last would have been 7-8 years ago.

Due to my anxiety, I called my Dr. office yesterday to see if the results are in, the receptionist said "I can tell you if the results are in but cant tell you the what the results are" she then looked it up and said they were in. My regular Dr. is on vacation until Sept 12th, which is when I go for my full physical(minus pap) so I wont know anything until then. I am going absolutely nuts!! I have called the office before, after an ultrasound and the same receptionist told me my results over the phone(4 years ago and they were OK) so now I am wondering WHY she wont now? and I am convinced it is because they found something bad. When the Dr. who did my pap was done, she did say "Your cervix looks very healthy" but even with her saying that I am terrified.

I don't know if maybe this time they couldn't tell me anything because my regular Dr. in on vacation or what(I don't know rules here in Canada).. I also don't know who the results would be sent to, the Dr. who did the pap or my family Dr. I'm so confused and terrified(having to live off clonazepam to deal). I'm in my 30's and have lost both my mom and dad to cancer as well as my brother(mom died from uterine, dad and bro died of testicular) my other brother also had bladder cancer and his son(my nephew) had testicular.. So as you can see I have reason to be so scared of cancer :(

CanadianChica
11-09-17, 05:42
anyone?

Lilliput
11-09-17, 09:09
So sorry to hear you have this worry hanging over you. Understandable with your family history. It's difficult to say how you could deal with the waiting - presumably if you suffer from anxiety you have techniques that you can use to help it feel easier. I don't have health anxiety but I know I'd be very upset having to wait for something like that.
Hoping that all will be well and that you will have the result very soon.

This too shall pass
06-11-17, 19:13
This is an old post so I'm assuming this is all sorted now - for the better I hope. I just wanted to add that I used to work as a receptionist for a doctors surgery in the UK. At one point, our system changed and we were no longer able to tell people their results. We were only allowed to arrange call back's with the doctors.