PDA

View Full Version : So worried about jaundice.

Alexlittle33
08-09-17, 23:33
I've been so worried about liver disease for the past month, it is literally consuming my life. It began when I started itching all over with no rash. I got my blood panel from the doctor and everything was normal, but the itching hasn't gone away. I read online that you can have liver problems with a normal blood result. So I got a second opinion from another doctor and he said he sees a little yellow in my eyes, but that can be normal. I just don't know what to do, and I can't keep paying for doctor visits. I've also had a dull pain in my upper right abdomen ever since I started thinking about it. I have IBS by the way. If anyone can shed me some peace of mind I'd love that. I've attached a picture of my eye. Notice the yellow in the corner. I also am a heavy drinker. Age 23. That is probably important to note.

AnnikiB
09-09-17, 07:06
We all that have in our eye, youeye looks just fine. For liver is a liver panel tests, alt, ast, bil, ggt and few more, do you have result on these analysis? Drinking dosnt do aney good not on your liver and deffenetly not on your nerve system. So better stop it :)

paranoid-viking
09-09-17, 09:54
I really wished people would stop posting pictures like this. If your doctor can not give you reassurance, why do you think WE can do it? We are not doctors? I have these same fears myself!

Heavy drinking is always bad one way or the other. Nothing good comes out of that. 23 is very young for developing liver problems; I dont think that is common. And slight yellowness in the edge of eyes are not uncommon they say BUT - I am not a doctor and can not give you any more information than doctors. Have you taken bilrubin tests? That would clarify wheter you have jaundice or not.

And again - stop heavy drinking. Even though you may not get serious problem now you will get it later in life if this cycles continue.

meant2live
09-09-17, 12:19
I've gotten severe itchiness from anxiety. That isn't out of the question for you.

Alexlittle33
14-09-17, 16:57
This was an extremely rude way to begin a reply, I don't think you understand what this site is for. Some of us don't have state of the art health care, and can only rely on the opinions of others until they can save up the money to go to the doctor. And ill have you know, I was able to save up the money to go to the doctor, to be told my bilirubin levels were slightly elevated. So my cause for concern was not without warrant. Notice, this post was made on a weekend, I was looking for some reassurance until I could get to my doctor. May be easy for you, but isn't easy for everyone else. If you want to be pessimistic towards others instead of giving them reassurance (what this site is all about), then go somewhere else with your negativity. I'm only trying to converse with people of similar situations. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day.

Fishmanpa
14-09-17, 17:05
I really wished people would stop posting pictures like this.

:roflmao:... at least it's just an eye! Imagine if he was worried about hemmies or fissures! (and yes, that actually happened here)

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
15-09-17, 14:37
This was an extremely rude way to begin a reply, I don't think you understand what this site is for. Some of us don't have state of the art health care, and can only rely on the opinions of others until they can save up the money to go to the doctor. And ill have you know, I was able to save up the money to go to the doctor, to be told my bilirubin levels were slightly elevated. So my cause for concern was not without warrant. Notice, this post was made on a weekend, I was looking for some reassurance until I could get to my doctor. May be easy for you, but isn't easy for everyone else. If you want to be pessimistic towards others instead of giving them reassurance (what this site is all about), then go somewhere else with your negativity. I'm only trying to converse with people of similar situations. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful day.

No, wait a minute. I was by no means trying to be pesmistic or making you feel bad and if that is how you felt it I am sorry.

However; yes; reassurances is one thing one can give oon this forum - among other things. Bit not reassurance alone. It is not all about that. You should be reminded that you are not the only one with health anxiety here; many of us are and because of that one should perhaps show some consideration because - well, posting pictures of your own eyes can be triggering others health anxiety. We are tryong to avoid that; avoiding googling scarey sites; and then someone post pictures of parts of the body accompanied by some frightening information.
FYI, I am fearing jaunduce myself and I have been through a scare for a whole year now that is also eating me up mentally. However, you wont see ME posting pictures of my eyes; first; because I know this can be frightening for othere; second; because, and that is the next point I am going to make; people in here are not qualified to give educated answers to why someone has this and that. You should also read these two sticky threads startet by moderators here:
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=114732

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=77070

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93289

I understand you very well, and I do feel empathy. I have taken bilrubin test myself today, and I am nervous. But I am not going to post pictures of my eyes here because I find that unethical to do on a board like this. You could ask a online doctor which are available 24 hours and would give you a more educated answer than anyone in here could give.

One thing is to get reassurance to what is obvious, other thing is to demand others to give you reassurance when they DONT KNOW. I am by no means saying that I think you have liver disease; please dont take i that way. But on the other han I DONT KNOW because I have no medical training. I am clueless in medicine.

I read your othere thread in the HA section and from what you write the bilrubin level was only slightly higher than what they classify as acceptablein the clinic you used. Now; different clinics are using different measurement for what is too much and not; so what the clinic you tested a little more than normal at could be within what they classify as normal on another one. The fact that the test was just above may probably mean that there really is a very small chance that it could be something bad, but that they send you for further testing JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. You see, there is no rule sayng that 0,2 means you are perfectly fine and just crossing over as near as you can come means you are in big danger. It is just because they have to draw the line SOMEWHERE. But you dont have exeptionally high bilrubin, som my UNEDUCTATED guess is that it is PROBABLY nothing dangerous but better be safe than sorry and take the ultrasound test. Now, if the bulribin test were skyghigh and you were yellow all over your eyes and even spread to your face, THEN it would be time to be alarmed. But take the ultrasound test if your doc says you should. It is not becasue they are convinced you are very ill; but because they work on "better safe than sorry".

I am waiting for my results on Tuesday. It may be Gilberts syndrome as having bothered my family members with my paranoia I notice there is a slight yellowness in eyecorners of members on one side of y family and not on the others. So maybe there is a genetical case of Gilberts in that family line or maybe nothing. Gilberts is not dangerous by any means.

Now, the last part and there is one thing that really needs to be adressed and that is serious. YES, you mentioned that you have a problem with HEAVY DRINKING. You may not like what I am going to write, but if you are struggling with anxiety the worst thing you can do is drinking alcohol. Sure it makes you forget your worries - for a short while - but it gets so much worse when the hangover sets in and fuels your anxiety. That is how alcoholism starts. So you need to quit drinking alcohol. Unless you could erdict your anxiety problem and develop moderate drinking paterns. But if that is a problem for you and you just "need" alcohol for relaxing I am afraid you can easily be trapped in the cycle that leads to alcoholism, and the social problems and serious health problems that follows with it. I know what I am talking about cause I have been dealing with alcoholics and I know how they tend to rationalise their drinking problem. Even if all tests shows that you are fine NOW you should not go out and "celebrate" good results with a night on the town. I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to hep you here, but then you need to confront your drinking patterns. Anxiety and alcohol abuse is a bad and very dangerous mix.

If this is reassurance let me tell you that people who have beaten their alcohol abuse have improved their life quality. both physically and mentally. No one says it is easy to beat it, but they have found it was worth it.
So that is one thing you should think seriously about.

Alexlittle33
16-09-17, 00:15
I apologize if I came off as abrasive, its just been a really rough week for me. I have cut the alcohol habit, of course it hasn't been easy. Quite the opposite. I'm a big football fan and it sucks when my friends grab me a beer and I have to decline. Maybe once I kick the habit for good, I can learn how to take it in moderation. I appreciate your words and I guess I just was panicking a little much. I've gotten a little peace so I will just wait till Monday to see what is the matter, if anything.

paranoid-viking
16-09-17, 01:23
I apologize if I came off as abrasive, its just been a really rough week for me. I have cut the alcohol habit, of course it hasn't been easy. Quite the opposite. I'm a big football fan and it sucks when my friends grab me a beer and I have to decline. Maybe once I kick the habit for good, I can learn how to take it in moderation. I appreciate your words and I guess I just was panicking a little much. I've gotten a little peace so I will just wait till Monday to see what is the matter, if anything.

No problem, I may have been a bit too harsh myself. We are in the same boat you know.