PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 1 - What's happening to me ?

Meg
22-11-04, 15:03
All comments welcome

tara
22-11-04, 15:43
Hi Meg, having listened to 1st cd i was agreeing with everything that you said and some parts made me uite emotional.

There is a part on the cd which you ask us to keep a diary and jot down events in the previous 2 years before our anxiety and panic happened. This is fine but when I think back I was a very anxious person and experienced many small panic attacks years before I was diagnosed with having them, so how far would you like me to back into events your advice on this will be greatly accepted.....Tara x

Laurie28
22-11-04, 16:08
Hiya Meg,

I agreed with everything 100% on this CD. I have filled in the comments on page 1 of the booklet but had to turn over to make some notes (I hope that is okay)

As I said before I was like a nodding dog on all this CD and I am going to listen to it again tonight (one last time)

The summing up at the end was fantastic and I related to much to it.

If someone had sat me down with that CD when I was 'acute' my mind would be so much more at ease (turning 'mad' being one of my biggest concerns')

The part about panic being hellish but leading to anxious thoughts and avoidance (much worse!) were also spot on (I remember having a chat with you and Charlie on this forum saying I could handle the panics but not the thoughts - which then lead to avoidance)

I cannot honestly think of one single chapter that i thought could be changed or altered

Love
Lucky

Meg
22-11-04, 16:59
Tara,

I wondered how soon this would be raised .

For some sections I considered doing 2 versions - chronic long term anxiety or acute onset anxiety.... However it was not practical.

I advise that you should write about whatever seems to be still really fresh in your mind and that you think about often.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Sue
22-11-04, 18:05
Hi Meg,

I have listened to it twice now.

I could relate to just about all of it and like Lucky was nodding and like Tara getting quite emotional in places. I just wish I had had something like this a year ago!

There is just one small bit that lost me a bit on my first listen, the bit where you relate to androids. On the second listen I knew exactly what you were saying but on the first listen I think I heard the words "android" "starwars/startrek" and tuned out as all that sci fi stuff bores me to death!!

Thats probably me though. Meg i think its great and I am sure you will do really well.

I will fill in the questionairre tomorrow, my last day of freedom before the new job starts on Weds (AAaargh!!)

Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of this.

Sue

Meg
22-11-04, 18:20
Hi Sue,

I'm fully aware and expecting that some people will relate to some bits better than others . I do try to say key points in a variety of ways.

Also I ask that you listen more than once so it gives another chance to tune into a different section that you may have missed first time round.

Good luck with the new job .

Meg

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

tara
22-11-04, 19:15
Meg do you want to see our events diary, the history of events we recall leading up to our anxiety/panic??? Tara x

razocaine_07
22-11-04, 20:25
hi, i have been writing a diary for a year now and it does help. For me it helps most when im actually writing it down, ive been having a bad night and just going through it helps takes the edge off it sometimes. I would recommend it to all

tara
22-11-04, 21:04
Hi I haven't kept a diary since I was young and my mum found it and read it and got mad, I have just started this evening writing down past events in my life and it was a real good release of emotion, thoughts and feeling for me as don't speak about things too much as I realise not everyone wants to hear about it. I will continue from today. Tara xx

Meg
22-11-04, 21:35
No thanks Tara.

What you write is just between you and the pages.
I find that if there is any chance that anyone else might see it - it influences what you write and is not as powerful...

Find a good hiding place.

Meg

nomorepanic
22-11-04, 21:48
Meg

I agree - I did a "giving up alcohol" diary but have no inention of showing anyone. It was for me to remember how is was no-one else!

Nicola

sadie
23-11-04, 19:50
Meg,

I listened to the 1st CD last night in full for the 1st time and like many others so far I found it very informative and I could relate to everything you said. I too wish I had something like this when my PA began...but no point looking back now!! My only criticism would be that I found myself having to rewind a bit as I missed some things you said as you were speaking quite fast...maybe it was just me!! I hate to say anything negative because I think what you have done is great, so I hope this is ok.

I will listen again tonight and will fill in my notes. Do you want us to wait until we have listened to all the CD's before sending you notes or do you want them one by one?

Thanks again.

sadie

Meg
23-11-04, 22:41
Please do not hesitate to tell me things that can be improved too .......

I know I talk fast . I was under the impression that I was going dead slow but not slow enough.

That is one of the reasons I ask you to listen a few times as none will pick it all up in one sitting . Its very information rich and needs a couple of go's at it .

Send them in as you like ..

Meg

blossom
26-11-04, 23:53
Dear Meg, I have just read about the CDs on the forum, and would like to know if I could purchase a set of them, and how much are they, from what I have read, they seem to be very helpful, I am always looking for tapes or CDs, I have quite a few would you please e mail me to let me know. Thankyou from Blossom.
blossombargh@hotmail.com. and the where I can purchase them.please answer me. Thankyou

meesey
27-11-04, 12:33
STILL NOT RECEIVED MINE YET...

Meg
27-11-04, 16:57
Meesey
They are on the way to you. I think they were sent Thursday.

Blossom,
You just have to click on the web address under my name.

If you wanted to pay by cheque there is a 20% discount for active NMP members so it would be £80.00.

Many of your issues Blossom are a direct result of regular valium - have you managed to decrease that at all ?

Meg

carlin
27-11-04, 20:33
Meg, still have had nothing delivered, could do with something to relax me right now, i have been following some of your previous advice, and it does help, but i tend to leave it all behind when i go out

Meg
27-11-04, 21:38
Ok - I guess we put this one down to some Royal Mail chappie or chapette crashed out with the set and a walkman behind some mail bags at a depot.

Will send another lot on Monday

Meg

carlin
28-11-04, 14:22
Meg, please don't go to this expense, i'll keep up with the forum, which i do daily, and which has been an enormous help to me, i even went chrimbo shopping Friday, with your previous advice written on a piece of paper, i.e. i can 'blooming' do this, and 'if i feel bad and dizzy i'll be ok', and Meg, i was (well, sort of). I have extra problems right now i.e. a pregnant sister-in-law who has just returned from USA, no partner, no home, no nothing, and she expects everyone to jump to attention, she's not given a damn about of any of us for years, so as you can imagine, started rows between me and hubby, so Meg my point is, forgive me, i probably wouldn't be a good candidate for your CD's right now, relax, gosh, if only..i think i have forgotten how to. Sorry if i seem abrupt or rude, don't mean to.

carlin
28-11-04, 14:29
Sorry to go on everyone, but meg, you are probably right about the post, my eldest son is a postman, and he does seem a bit more chilled out of late only teaasing xx

pips
30-11-04, 12:30
Hi Meg,

Chapter 1 was very interesting and informative. You certanily went through a real bad time hey Meg. No wonder you suffered. It's good to see how you turned your life around and conquered it. Well done you set an excellent example to us all!

Take care

Hope you are well,

Love PIP'S XX

Meg
30-11-04, 22:16
Glad you liked it Pips. I hope you learnt something from it for yourself.

Love

Meg

pips
01-12-04, 12:14
Yes Definately thanks Meg!

Love Pip's XX XX

carlin
01-12-04, 18:52
As you know, received my cd's today, my daughter shouted hey mum cd's are here i wrestled her to the floor, told all the family to get lost and settled down. My first reactionwas how good it was to hear a kind soothing voice of someone who actually knows what i am going thru'. secondly my first panic was when i lost my mum on the same day as i gave birth to our 3rd baby, so i have always known what caused them, maybe if i had known then what i know now i would never have let things escalate, but i was so convinced that my 'symptoms' were the same as my mums and i lost her. Also at a few points of the cd, i too felt quite emotional, i felt as if i wanted to give you a big cuddle, seeing how i had told everyone to clear off there was no-one in sight to hug. only joking. I won't go on too much and bore everyone to tears, but i feel a lot more positive tonight, have been feeling really bad lately, and pray i will be able to return to being a reasonably normal person, after a 16 year battle with this monster that has got hold of me.

meesey
06-12-04, 21:47
I guess mine got lost in the post, still no cd's here

nomorepanic
06-12-04, 21:53
Paul - i thought meg sent u another set.

Why do they keep getting lost lol.

Nicola

Meg
07-12-04, 09:44
This was the only set to Meesey and it was sent from someone else who couldn't allocate the time to trying it.

Meg

meesey
07-12-04, 09:49
Hi, I can honestly say i haven't received anything as yet, which is a shame as i could do with something to relax me and give me something to focus on at the moment.

Paul x

Meg
09-12-04, 16:20
I've sent you another set recorded delivery today.

Meg

vernon
12-12-04, 16:56
Hi Meg,
Thanks so much for the CD set I listened to CD one this morning before I got up Because that’s the quietest time of the day for me.

Just listening to tape one made me feel much better and am determined to follow the programme to the detail as after hearing just tape one I am now convinced it will make me better.

I have also listened to the relaxation tape a couple of times up to now but seem to fall asleep before its finished. I have listened to Dr Clare weeks tapes in the past but even though she is very good found her voice annoyed me and couldn’t listen comfortable. But your voice is so easy to understand and relaxing to listen to, so is the lady who does the relaxation part.

I think a big part of me not recovering years ago was hiding behind alcohol as I found it relaxed me and always used drink to calm my nerves when I should have been facing my problems like I am doing now.

I don’t think I missed a day without drink and would have thought impossible to ever relax to sleep without drink that only gave me another problem in the years of alcohol abuse.
As you know I gave up the drink fully last November 2003. I found it very difficult to stop drink, as it was my answer to every problem I had all my life, and am sure now it was the cause of my not recovering fully.

Anyway thanks so much for the hard work you have put into the CD’s and will keep you informed of my progress.

Thanks so much and take care Vernon.

jo-jo
22-02-05, 15:27
Hi Meg

So sorry for not getting on to this sooner but listened to chapter 1 for the first time last night and thought it was b****y marvellous.

In terms of learning something new, I guess I didn't realise just how many and how varied the symptoms of anxiety can be. I also enjoyed the section talking about the 'high road' and 'low road' of neural transmission, it makes so much sense put that way.

One thing that's worrying me a little is writing my thoughts down regarding my emotions, I'd just feel so stupid if someone did happen to find it (i.e. my husband)! I feel like I have all sorts of secrets trapped in my head and thats the only place they're safe even though there's noting too bad there, it would make me feel very vulnerable.

Can't think of anything else that could be added, its all there!

Only downside for me is that the CD is very fast paced and little brain was having to race a bit to keep up - this is just my opinion but I felt it would be better spoken a tad slower.

Hope I'm not too late to take part in your review, many, many apols for my absence in Dec and Jan - have had huge amount of uni assessments - no excuse I know but thats the best I can offer :( If OK with you will carry on listening and reviewing.

Best wishes, Jo xxx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Meg
22-02-05, 21:48
Yes Thats fine Jo.

Glad you could get to it now and learnt from the first one.

In know there's a lot on it which is why I recommend you listen to it several times in the week. You'll pick up different things each time.

Writing is important. I know some people with concerns about privacy have got a padlockable book or box to keep the journal in.
Or there are several online ones that are password protected.

Meg