PDA

View Full Version : what is supposed to happen?

ellenclarke81
22-11-04, 17:30
I tried a hypnotherapy appointment last week. I don't really know what to make of it. The man was certainly nice, and seemed more caring than any of the actual psychiatrists i have seen.
He questioned me for a while, and then gave a few assessments, each of which i felt was a little naive. Then he told me to relax, while he told me stories about other patients were supposed to illuminate my case, though they didnt seem anything like me. He had certainly been listening - he used all clues i gave him extensively. But over all it reminded me a bit of going to see a psychic medium, the way he took in clues i gave him and ran away with them along obvious lines. Basically i mentioned going to the gym helped - which seemed to form the basis of a whole theory about having excess energy, and he said i would be cured if i worked out more. Hmm

It might be just because it was the first session - he only met me for an hour after all. But then, shouldn't he have perhaps kept it on more general lines until he knew me better?

I dont know. i did feel quite relaxed afterwards - maybe this is the most i can expect. I certainly dont feel any different now, or more confident about anything. Should i give it another go or chalk it to the big wall of failed ideas?

Has anyone else experienced anything more fundamental?

Meg
22-11-04, 17:46
Doesn't sound usual .

Its usual to have a discussion frst and some general counselling but then sit with eyes closed and do lots of breathing and gently going down into a very relaxed / hypnotic state to some counting and thought focus followed by some positive remedial suggestions .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
22-11-04, 17:54
Hi Ellen

I've had some hypnotherapy and it doesn't sound like the experience I had.

The session followed more along the lines of what Meg has described, with some counselling to start with, and then the relaxation/hypnosis part with eyes closed and visualisation with cues given focussing on whatever issue was being dealt with at the time.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

carlin
22-11-04, 18:52
Hi Ellen,
I, too, have had hypnotherapy, and my experiences are exactly the same as Meg and Karen described, it had a good effect on me and i actually managed to go on holls. in the summer, something i didn't think i could manage at that time

nomorepanic
22-11-04, 19:48
Hiya

I found it very relaxing and used to go every week and found it very beneficial.

The first session was 2 hours long and we talked for the first hour and she made notes of points that she wanted to cover. Then we did a hypnotherapy session and that was just a calming relaxing one.

She also noted things about family members, what my favourite colour was, what scene I found relaxing etc etc. These things she used in later sessions and it did feel more personal for me.

Don't be put off after one session but also don't dismiss it just because one hypnotherapist doesn't suit you. You could try a different one if you don't feel comfortable with this one.

Nicola