PDA

View Full Version : Is this OCD?

Scrubmuncher
07-06-07, 19:25
I constantly think people around me want to physically hurt me. I'm the most unviolent person on the planet, but I find I'm constantly watching my back and avoiding groups of people or busy situations. Anyone any idea whats going on, no one would surely want to beat me up, but I realy do think the worst of any situation.
I just want the ground to swallow me up and I'm not bothered about getting back. Not being here would feel less stressful. Do I really want to go through life dealing with this problem? NO!

Insomniac
07-06-07, 20:45
Hi there.

I'm no expert on this but I don't think it is OCD. Lots of us here with panic & anxiety often feel like this though, so you are among friends. :) I know that doesnt always help but at least you will find useful information and support here. There's a bit on OCD too. Sorry I can't help more. Hope you feel better soon.

Tricky Tree
09-06-07, 18:57
No - sounds like anxiety to me.

If you convince yourself its something bad with a label like OCD, you'll become convinced theres something seriously wrong with you. I bet there isnt.

Im not trying to say your fears arent valid or real. I believe they are very real to you.

Have you talked to your GP?

Eclipse
10-06-07, 03:38
Hi,
I can't comment or advise on the feelings you're experiencing of people wanting to 'physically hurt you' but the watching your back, avoiding groups of people or busy situations and thinking the worst of any situation rings a bell with me re my social anxiety.

That probably isn't much help to you but, as Insomniac says, I don't think it's OCD related.

I hope someone more 'in the know' can help but in the meantime, don't think that you're on your own cos, on this site, there are many who can relate to your worries and provide great support.

Best Wishes

Magz
xx

kate
10-06-07, 07:14
I also have the exact same fear. Mine also extends to seeing any type of violent behaviour, whether towards me or involving someone else. This is the reason I avoid certain places/situations.

I thought I was the only one that had these fears until a few years ago I met someone on here that felt the same as well.

It isn't just the normal watch your back and stay safe fear of violence though. It is much, much more exagerated than that and has ruled my life for 20 odd years now. I still stick to places/situations that I class as low risk ie only ever going for a meal in the same restaurant as pubs are soooo high risk :blush:

Kate

mico
10-06-07, 20:14
I've asked the same question before. Although I don't think it would be medically classed as OCD but then it's my belief that all anxiety dissorders are in some way related and this one could well be a close relative of Pure O. Pure O, from my understanding, is the obsessions without the compulsions to act upon.

I've had the same fears myself, still do to a lesser extent and like with any form of anxiety it largely boils down to obsessive irrational thoughts - going over scenarios time and time again.

My fears became less when I learned to, not so much forget about the thoughts (that's practically an impossibility), but to focus on new, more positive thoughts. Anytime I caught myself seing the negatives in any given situation (that's the first step) I would stop and ask myself 'Ok, so what are the positives?' You can only focus on so much at one time so the introduction of positive thought pushes out the negative. And this doesn't have to be wishy washy made up positive thought that doesn't have any relation to reality (that can actually go against you), if you look hard enough you will find positives in any given situation.

There is a problem though when you believe your thoughts are completely rational, which for me would often be the case. It's important to rationalise these so that you can learn to let go of them. It seems that you already realise that many of your thoughts are completely ridiculous, but it doesn't seem like that at the time, does it? It's essentail to step back and attemtp to view these internal ramblings from a non-judgemental viewpoint and ask yourself 'what are the facts?'

One of the big turning points for me was the realisation that I was constantly going over potential scenarios and asking myself what would be the best way of dealing with them. It eventually came to me that I never, not once, found an acceptable answer. Should anything happen, you'll deal with it when the time comes but going over it beforehand is only detrimental to your well-being and not helpful at all. When I realised this, I began to stop thinking about it.

My signature is very relavent to this topic...

I wish you the best with this because it's a tough one to deal with.