PDA

View Full Version : Summer blues

Keep going
07-06-07, 22:14
Anybody got them at the moment. Although my anxiety is reducing i feel like a right grumply git :mad:

stu:wacko:

Lozzie
07-06-07, 22:31
Hi Stu :)
I can completly understand the way you feel, normally the nice weather and sunshine help me and normally make me much happier but with things recently I am feeling rather down.
Have some :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: from me
Just remember hun, your not alone in this feeling.

Take care and if u need a chat feel free to pm me

Laura xxx:flowers:

Eclipse
07-06-07, 23:00
Hi Stu,
Yep - got those summer blues and it's always the same EVERY year.

For me, personally, it's mainly a very low self esteem issue.

Social anxieties, auburn hair, pale skin, not handling the heat well & burning easily weighed against sunny days, bronzed bodies wearing very little (both sexes) and everyone comparing who's got the best tan!

Even though I feel insecure about myself all year round I do feel slightly more in control in the winter months.:shrug:

This may just come across as a vanity thing but it's not, I guess it's more an envy of their confidence.

Anyone want to start up an 'English Rose' club (non-UK residents & "fake tan paley's" welcome lol :D )

Maz
x

sarah1984
08-06-07, 13:24
Hi Eclipse,
I'm a fellow English Rose. Just think, all those sunbathers will regret it seriously twenty years down the line when they've got skin like leather and are covered in wrinkles-lol!

On a more serious note, I agree that anxiety can be worse in the nice weather especially when it appears that everyone else is totally carefree and having fun in the sun. The heat and humidity certainly don't help either....

Alabasterlyn
08-06-07, 13:34
I hate the Summer and always have the 'Summer blues'.

As soon as the clocks go forward at the end of March I start to worry about the heat and the lighter nights. I know not everyone here has agoraphobia, but for a lot of agoraphobics for some odd reason it's often easier to go out when it's dark. I think perhaps it's because there is so much visual stimulation during the daytime.

I also don't like sunbathing, although this only seemed to really start when I hit 40, before that I was quite happy to sit in the sun. I don't use fake tan as I'm too worried it's going to come off onto the bedding at night :ohmy:

I just hope we don't have a really hot Summer as I don't think most UK homes are designed to cope with the heat.

Scarlett77
08-06-07, 14:49
Hi Stu,

Yes, i too suffer from the summer blues. I sometimes think that i get the exact opposite of Seasonal Affective Disorder - i feel much more positive and generally better overall in the colder months. Summer makes me want to hide away and hibernate until it's over :ohmy:

My reasoning behind it is pretty much summed up in what's already been said in the other replies. It kind of feels like there's more pressure in hotter weather, and that makes my paranoia, etc a million times worse.

Take care,

Scarlett

happyone
08-06-07, 14:52
the only reason I am getting summer blues is cos in this wet miserable part of scotland, it is just that! Wet and miserable!

Happyone
xx

Lindalou64
08-06-07, 15:19
im opposite i get the winter blues ,i love the summer i love the beach the windows open fesh air birds singing, i hate the traffic tho hope ya feel better...best to ya.........Linda

kate
08-06-07, 17:05
Ooooh, I love summer!

Long warm days, not getting dark until 10pm, bliss!

I don't sit in the sun I either enjoy the nice weather from the house or sit outside in the shade.

Kate

Quirky
08-06-07, 17:33
I'm another summer hater, totally hate it! I am really miserable after about March/ April and then am alot happier in September when it starts to cool down again! In fact experts now actually regognise a summer version of SAD! I love autumn best and am always at my happiest in Autumn, then again I love winter too and spring - although sometimes even spring can get too hot for me.

Summer doesn't affect my anxiety, I just hate it - the hot uncomfortable weather, the humidity, it's hard to sleep, the fact it's still daylight at 10pm, it feels like there is no air to breathe. I hate summer clothes as they don't suit me in style or colour and I also get really bad hayfever. I never ever sit in the sun or I feel really ill within 10 minutes and I burn so easily. Last year was just totally unbearable with the heat topping 38 degrees! I spent most of that heatwave indoors with all the curtains pulled to try and keep it cool. I so hope we don't get that again this summer!

So far this summer is just how a british summer should be/ used to be in my opinion ie not too hot - yet it's already too hot for me and way too humid! So for me it's roll on Autumn asap! In the meantime it looks like Scotland is the best place to be then - I'm on my way Happyone! Failing that I'd better go and buy an air con machine lol.

The only things I do like about summer are all the birds singing and seeing the baby birds/animals (although living in the countryside I hear them all year long anyway) and the fact the garden looks nicer in the summer, but for me the few plus points are by far outweighed by negative points!

Lisa

Alabasterlyn
08-06-07, 17:41
There is something very comforting about the Winter months too. You can sit in front of a nice fire and snuggle up, something you can't do when it's light outside and the temperatures are up in to 90's and you don't have A/C.

I also think in the Winter we cover ourselves up more and there are fewer people around, but in the Summer there are people all over the place and in no hurry to get where they are going. Also having your windows open a lot makes it noisy day and night. I just hate it :mad:

Quirky
08-06-07, 17:53
I agree with you totally about winter Lyn. Even if it's cold in winter it's easier to get warm than it is to get cool in summer I always feel!

I don't open windows due to hayfever so at night it's really hot with the windows closed but quiet at least, although we live in the middle of the countryside so don't hear much anyway apart form maybe an owl hooting lol.

Lisa

Keep going
09-06-07, 13:55
Thanks people for your kind responses, much appreicated. its nice to know i'm not alone with this feelin.

stuart:yesyes:

Brandy snap
10-06-07, 02:17
Hello, hope I'm not too late to add to this thread as I really identify with a lot of what's been said. I much prefer going out when it is dark. I am not at all confident about my appearance and think people think I don't look fashionable or my hair's a mess or something else. I also find it hard to look up when I'm out in the daylight - if I suddenly come upon several neighbours at once I don't know what to say and think they will talk about me when I've gone past. I'm sure they think I'm really unsociable - I'm not unsociable, just shy and awkward. And I don't really want to talk about barbecues or holidays or gossip. So generally I look at the ground. So yes I am a winter person. Neither do I enjoy sunbathing as it makes me feel ill and I am agonising over whether or not to use one of those moisturisers which contain a small amount of fake tan as everyone else I see is brown. Spent an hour in Boots getting more and more hot and anxious and read warning not to use it near your hair if it is grey or white. Does this mean it might make the little golden hairs on your arms darker? I keep getting the bottle out then putting it back because of this worry. Anybody know?Got daugher's wedding in two weeks and I'll be the only pale person there!

Eclipse
10-06-07, 04:32
Hi Brandy snap,
Firstly, it's never too late to add to a thread and I can identify with EVERYTHING you said re going out, about feeling like you're not fashionable, hair's a mess & neighbours talking out of earshot etc.

Secondly, I sympathised when I read about your time in Boots debating the pro's & cons.

The year before last, my other half's sister reccomended a product to me and I rushed to Debenhams to buy it (only cos that's where she'd got hers from - I don't shop in there normally - unfortunately!)

She doesn't go brown naturally, but on this occasion when she came to stay, she looked gorgeous!

Anyway - got the cream home........& was too scared to use it..........until a couple of days later when, on a Friday night my other half was out for the evening and I thought I'd surprise him by letting him come back from a night out to a golden temptress. (see post above for lily-whiteness!)

What I haven't mentioned so far is that, I'd had two glasses of wine when I'd plucked up the courage to use it!

I, as it said, sparingly smeared on the cream, went downstairs to watch a bit of tv and waited.

30 minutes later I excitedly looked at my legs (where I'd used it) and.....still lily white! :shrug:

Thinking I hadn't used enough, I repeated the proceedure but still no apparent change by the time he'd got home!

Tum-ti-tum!

However, on throwing the duvet back to get out of bed the next morning I nearly screamed in horror! :ohmy:

I'D BEEN TANGO'D!!!!!!

Orange didn't even come close!

The moral of this story is - if you use a fake tan, (and I'm SURE they work perfectly well) use sparingly & do 'exactly what it says on the tin' (in fact I might even try 'Ronseal' next time!)LOL!

Oh - and do it BEFORE any alcohol bravado!

Best Wishes
Magz
xx
PS. Think those moisturisers with a bit of tan in would work but at the time I didn't have the patience and it's kind of put me off now.

PPS. I think (and PLEASE forgive me if I'm wrong) Piglet has mentioned a similar experience re the same fake tan scenario as mine before (though if it wasn't you Piglet, I'm sorry!!)

Eclipse
10-06-07, 04:42
Hi Eclipse,
I'm a fellow English Rose. Just think, all those sunbathers will regret it seriously twenty years down the line when they've got skin like leather and are covered in wrinkles-lol

I'd like to say "like my sofas" but it doesn't stop the envy at the moment :weep:

Know what you're saying though, so you can have a BIG :yesyes: :yesyes: now!!

Hee Hee

Magz
XX

Brandy snap
10-06-07, 10:28
Thanks for your reply Eclipse. So glad you know what I'm talking about - I have a soul mate then! Sorry to hear about your horrendous experience. What a shock. How long did it take to fade? But did the little fair hairs on your arms turn dark when you used it? Scared I'll end up like a werewolf! And what happens if you can't avoid going out in the sun after using this? Do you go even darker or are you then as dark as you can get? If I get brave enough to take the lid off I'll use sparingly and stay off the wine! Brandy Snap xx

Alabasterlyn
10-06-07, 11:05
I am very wary of home fake tans as I know too many people who haven't exfoliated properly and they've ended up with really orange or dark brown knees and elbows. Also if you don't apply it with gloves or wash your hands thoroughly afterwards you can get brown palms and even brown nails apparently :ohmy:

I was watching that 'How To Look Good Naked' on catch up TV the other day and they were testing out the moisturers with a hint of tan in them. The one that came out best was the Olay one. I did actually order some when I was doing my online grocery shop from Tesco but after the last minute I chickened out and deleted it as I was worried about the tan coming off onto my white sheets as I do get very hot at night :mad:

I wish I did have the guts to use it as I do think a tan makes you look nice and healthy. I've never really let my face catch the sun, even years ago when I found sunbathing a pleasure I always shaded my face with a hat, so my skin is okay and I've been buying loads of that No 7 Protect & Perfect Serum to try and keep the wrinkles at bay also :blush:

kate
10-06-07, 11:29
I use the Johnson's holiday skin on my milk bottle like legs. Only takes a couple of applications and they look quite a nice colour. Doesn't come off on the sheets either.

Kate

Eclipse
10-06-07, 17:01
Brandy snap,
It took a little while before it disappeared completely but it didn't really effect me outwardly cos I'd only done my legs and I'm always in jeans/trousers anyway so thankfully noone else knew - well, only the elite few that I chose to reveal the mishap to! LOL

Alabasterlyn's right about the exfoliating part being important - maybe if I'd spent more time on that & less on 'dutch courage' and being so impatient, it wouldn't have gone so shockingly wrong - ha ha.

Have also heard that the Johnson's holiday skin that Kate mentioned is good so maybe I'll give that a try sometime - the gentle approach is probably better.

Whatever you chose I hope the end result looks great!:yesyes:

Magz
XX

Alabasterlyn
10-06-07, 18:12
Well today as it is so hot I actually put my shorts on and boy are my legs white :ohmy:

I think I will try and get down to Tesco one evening when it's quiet and grab a bottle of the moisturiser with the self tan in it and just start with my legs :D

I've just had a bath and exfoliated and buffed myself to perfection then used loads of body butter to make my skin nice and soft, but doesn't look right when it's Summer and I'm so pale :blush:

Quirky
10-06-07, 23:14
I'm another pale english rose lol. I am always lily white and so fair I only ever burn and don't tan - not that I ever sit in the sun these days. However personally I don't see what the problem is with being pale and not having a tan, I mean what is wrong with that?, it's perfectly normal and natural not to be tanned. I don't understand why everyone wants to be tanned in summer - ok it looks nice but in my mind it's not healthy as to get a tan you have to damage the skin in some way, even done safely with a good SPF cream it still damages and ages the skin long term. Just my view anyway, not meant to offend anyone that loves tanning. Fake tan is fine if not orange lol, however I still don't bother, anyone that knows me knows I'm so pale so would know it was fake tan anyway! I just stick to being happy to be pale.

Been a scorcher here today, really really hot, sticky and humid :mad: Roll on Autumn!

Lisa x

Ellen70
11-06-07, 02:24
I feel a right misery guts for saying it but I hate summer. I have no tolerance for hot weather and I dread the hot weather as I get a pain in my head and the sweating and higher body temperture feel way too much like panic attack symptoms.
When it is really bright and sunny, the intensity of the daylight freaks me out, I feel that there is 'too much light' getting into my eyes - I know that last bit sounds dumb but it is the only way I can describe it.