PDA

View Full Version : Been referred to a Psychiatrist

RobinM
08-06-07, 03:12
:shrug:

Not sure that it's what I need really, I'm a bit confused as to why they've done it, seems to me like I need CBT really. Mind you, I'll have to see how it goes, not going to dismiss it yet.

Do you see a psychiatrist before getting CBT? ie. does the psychiatrist recommend it, or am I way off the mark?

The letter was addressed from my local "mental health centre", which was nice :laugh: gotta laugh I suppose.

My appointment is at 11:45 tomorrow (today), so I really shoudl be in bed, but I'm a bit nervous.

joy
08-06-07, 08:32
let us know how you get on

love joy

jo61
08-06-07, 09:23
Hope it goes well. The role of the psyhiatrist is to manage the medication and make recommendations as to overall treatment, including therapy. Let us know how it goes.

honeybee3939
08-06-07, 09:33
Hi Robin

Just wanted to wish you good luck for today, hope all goes well.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxx

sarah1984
08-06-07, 13:30
Robin-do not fear, all will be well. The psychiatrist will co-ordinate a plan of action to help you which may include overseeing your medication and they are the ones who can refer you for CBT. Let us know how you get on....believe me, psychiatrists have waiting lists a mile long and not everyone on the list is completely nuts-lol.

Alabasterlyn
08-06-07, 13:36
When I had my CBT I was first seen by a psychiatrist who referred me onto a psychologist, so you may find that is what will happen. Hope it goes well.

RobinM
08-06-07, 15:50
It went quite well, they've given me some self help books and CDs etc, along with putting my name down on an anxiety help group which they hold. No CBT yet, but he said that if I don't feel an improvement after the help group, that would be the next step.

Alabasterlyn
08-06-07, 16:33
I'm glad it went well for you. I think these anxiety help groups can be very useful and it's good to know if it doesn't help enough that you can get CBT afterwards :)