PDA

View Full Version : So proud of myself!

Iheartray
08-06-07, 04:15
Well, it has been quite a while since I've posted on here. I've gone through alot. I'll start of by saying that I had a panic disorder, and was borderline agoraphobic, with constant anxiety. I got to a point where I couldn't go into stores without having panic attacks.. I could barely go out in public. At work I felt constant anxiety and felt on the verge of a panic attack at all times.

As I had mentioned before in the forums, my doctor prescribed me Xanax and Prozac, I ended up taking the Xanax for a short while, about once every few days when I felt especially panicky, but in hindsight, I think it slowed my progress, becase it calmed me without letting me be able to figure out a way to calm myself naturally. I never took the Prozac and I'm happy that I didn't.

I convinced myself that I was/am stronger than my anxiety, and I will not let it overcome me. I haven't had a full blown panic attack in a month! My anxiety is still there just about all of the time, but I have come up with ways to calm myself and feel more comfortable. As soon as I feel myself getting tense (which is alot of the time), or breathing heavier, I simply tell my body to go limp. It helps so much when your shoulders aren't pulled up and your stomach muscles aren't clenched, which mine seem to do automatically. I also came up with a few good quotes/phrases that I tell myself in my head when I feel panicky. Exercise and motivation were also key to making myself feel better in general.

I've gone from feeling absolutely hopeless to feeling alive again, and I'm loving it. I know it can seem impossible to get back to feeling normal, trust me I've been there, but you just have to dig down deep inside of yourself and realize that you deserve better. You don't HAVE to feel that way. You ARE in control.

Best of luck to everyone else out there dealing with this, because, from personal experience, it has been the worst and best thing I have ever gone through. I say best, because the feeling I have from overcoming it is one of my greatest accomplishments yet!

Thanks for listening! :D

Granny Primark
08-06-07, 10:12
Im so pleased for you Iheartray:yesyes:
My hubby is also a firm believer in excercise. I know years ago when on the verge of a breakdown he started to play football again and this really helped him.
Your story has inspired me. I think its great that you are in control of your panic attacks.
However i do think that some people are born anxious and thats the way they will probably always stay.
I too am starting to control my panic attacks instead of them controlling me, but i have come to accept that i will always be one of those people that if im not worried about something im worried cus im not worried!!!
Thanks for telling us your story.:flowers:

Take care
LYNN xx

manmoor
08-06-07, 11:38
:yesyes: A big well done to you :D xx

emmy
08-06-07, 12:16
this is a great thing you have achieved know exactly how you feel hope you have a lot lot lot more happy times and days and months oh and years ahead

welldone :yesyes:
xxxx

Lindalou64
08-06-07, 13:24
Thats Is Great Im Glad You Are Feeling Good, And Learnt Your Tecniques To Over Come Them...............best To Ya.......linda Xx

Iheartray
09-06-07, 03:23
Thank you everyone :)

Loopy - Yes, I think exercise has been one of the biggest factors in getting on the path to feeling better. When I was at the peak of my Panic there were days when I literally had to drag myself out of bed, now if I make myself get up and do a bit of cardio and eat a healthy breakfast I feel soooo much better!

I also agree that anxiety is something you are born with. I too, will probably always be a worrier, but that's ok. I think I'd rather worry too much than too little. It shows that we care about things.. maybe a little too much sometimes, but thats ok too :D Best of luck to you!

Cat

honeybee3939
09-06-07, 14:54
Hi Cat

How lovely to hear things have improved for you!:yesyes:

WELL DONE !! what lovely progress you have made, keep up the good work! proud of you hun !!

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Southern_Belle
10-06-07, 16:15
Hi Cat,

What a great success story! I'm so happy for you that you found the keys to help yourself. I'm going to start exercising too, I think that may help me feel better in general. Good luck for your future and you have come a long way.

Laura

Karen
10-06-07, 16:47
Well done for all your progress :yesyes:

I am so glad you are feeling so much better.

Karen

nomorepanic
11-06-07, 12:43
Cat

What fab news to read and a HUGE well done to you on all your progress.:yesyes: :yesyes:

I too found that exercise stopped the panic attacks from happening.

You have done so well with everything so thanks for dropping by and letting us know how you are.

groovygranny
11-06-07, 21:55
What a testimony Iheartray- thanks for sharing it with us!

Such determination and perseverance have reaped fine rewards!

Well done!

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

:flowers:

Iheartray
13-06-07, 05:16
Thank you for all of the wonderful comments. I feel even better reading these. I owe alot of my sucess to this website and the people on it. I found this site when I was at one of my worst points and just hearing comments and advice and encouragement from other people who felt the same way as me was the push I needed. You guys are great! :)

PUGLETMUM
14-06-07, 15:58
so are you!!

i totally agree with everything you say, you know you are an anxious person - that is a person who worries about being anxious like most of us on here are! (we wouldnt be here otherwise) and youve found self-help methods that empower you, and move you forward, whilst all the time accepting who you are, i am so very pleased for you, all the best!
and also just to add that exercise is one of the BEST self-help methods, keeps you fit, helps you tone, gets you out, is an outlet for the adrenaline, helps you sleep and is just brill!!! even a walk or keep fit dvd is better than nothing!!! our bodies are not designed to be innactive!! glad youve found this out.and i think once youve seen it work you keep it in your life always.

emma