PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought...

kate
23-11-04, 20:00
Hi Nic,

Having looked round for a forum suitable for Hannah to discuss her problems with other teens, I haven't been able to find any well used boards at all.

I was just wondering if you had thought of having a section on the forum especially for children/teens to post on or whether you didn't feel that it would be used by enough people?

If you do ever decide to give it a go, a specific link mentioning it on the homepage may direct more kids, who are searching for such a forum, straight to it and ensure that it is well used.

Hope you don't mind me suggesting this! [:I]

Luv Kate x

nomorepanic
23-11-04, 20:20
Hiya Kate

I did think about this once before but was worried about attracting a lot of youngsters to a predominately adult forum.

I was worried that they would be off reading other posts and wondered if some of the things they read would upset them as they saw how long it can take to get better, what other symptoms they can expect to get etc etc.

I agree that a forum is needed for youngsters but I don't want to make things more confusing for them by visiting an "adult" forum that may be confusing and cause more anxiety.

I am of course open to opinions on this and have no problems creating one if we think there is a need and parents would be happy to know that their children were on it.

Please - anyone - give me your opinions.

Kate - I don't mind atall. I thought about it before and I always appreciate ideas for improving the site.

Nicola

Meg
23-11-04, 20:46
Kate -

Have you seen the dedicated teen message board on here . I haven't studied it but seems to be quite a lot of current posts .

http://www.ocduk.org/forums/

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Elle-Kay
23-11-04, 21:39
I started with all this when I was still a teenager, and a place where I could tell people how I felt without feeling the pressure of peer judgements would have been marvellous, but I also see what you mean about not wanting to worry adolescents unecessarily Nic, as that probably would have been an issue for me as well. It's a tricky one for sure...

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

kate
23-11-04, 22:19
Hi Nic,

Yes, I see what you mean about the youngsters reading adult type posts, must admit I hadn't thought about that [:I]

Thinking about it, I suppose it could all get a bit tricky. Not knowing if any kids who posted WERE actually kids and not adults posing as kids. Would be hard to police.

Maybe not one of my better ideas after all! [:I]

Luv Kate x

nomorepanic
23-11-04, 22:57
Kate

It was a good idea and I know why you wanted it. I was just worried about how parents would feel about their child being on here.

It was a great idea and we are looking for child forums for u ok?

x

Nicola

davebrum
23-11-04, 23:55
good idea kate
im not sure logistics would accomodate - i know when teens come into chat it gets difficult as the conversations are very adult- it is one to think about
xx david

kate
24-11-04, 08:27
Thanks Nic :D

Luv Kate x

kate
24-11-04, 15:41
Meg,

I've checked out the link that you gave.

The site itself is well used but unfortunately the teen part of it isn't.

I was looking for something that has a fair few members and which was used frequently.

Doesn't seem to be anything out there though :(

Thanks anyway

Luv Kate xx

sal
24-11-04, 17:13
Hi Kate

Can appreciate how much it would help if she had some other people her own age to talk to. I have looked through a few sites today but couldnt find anything suitable, but will keep trying for you.

Love Sal xxxxx

kate
24-11-04, 17:16
Thanks for that Sal.

Luv Kate x

nomorepanic
24-11-04, 18:35
Kate

Not promising anything cos I don't know the logistics of it but I will ask Alex if I can have more than one forum on this site.

I am sure I can then set one up for the youngsters and they can start their own[:P]

You could moderate it for me as well [:O]

Will let you know if you think that may be of interest.

We could start the first one for teenagers.[Yeah!]

xx

Nicola

kate
24-11-04, 19:12
Awwwww Nic, you are sooooooo good to me :D

Don't worry if it's not possible, I know you have done such a lot to help me.

Thanks so much

Luv Kate xxx

nomorepanic
24-11-04, 20:30
Hey Kate

You know I want to help you and your daughter and it will make you feel better if she is!

I will ask Alex when he gets home and let you know.

It could be a good thing couldn't it - especially if no-one can find a good one for them to go to.
x

Nicola

kate
24-11-04, 21:08
Hi Nic,

Yes, it would be a very good thing, I just hope that, if it does get off the ground, that it is well used or I will feel like a right wally!

Thanks again

Luv Kate x

nomorepanic
24-11-04, 22:40
Kate

The logistics are fine - we can have more than one forum.

The politics are worse lol.

Spoke to Alex and we may have parental concern issues.

The forum has rules and states that u must be over 13 to join. I don't want to attract youngsters and then be liable for the things that happen. God forbid things such as child abuse - i.e. older people finding young kids on there.

We can do it but it needs moderating closely and I can't do that - not enough time. It needs an adult to watch it and see that people aren't being used etc. I am sure you know what I mean.

I am happy to do it but now a bit scared lol.

Maybe that is why there aren't any out there.

Nicola

kate
24-11-04, 23:07
Hi Nic,

I never even thought about the child safety aspect. Sad world that we live in isn't it? :(

Too much responsibility involved and I'd hate to think that it was all my idea and something nasty happened to any child who went on the site.

Thanks ever so, Nic, for trying to help. You know how much I appreciate it.

Luv Kate xxx