PDA

View Full Version : Slow pulse

Purdybird
24-11-04, 09:50
I really need some help again. I'm sorry I have no been on here and posted for a while but I thought I was geting better.

I've started worrying about my heart again. I keep taking my pulse and noticed the other day that it was only 66 beats per min. Is that too slow.. I keep feeling light headed and a bit dizzy do you think I have low blood pressure???

What could be causing me to feel lightheaded?? I'm starting to get really frightened again. do You think I have an abnormal heart rythm that is casusing my dizzyness??

My mind is working overtime..........

Thanks

Purdybird

lainey
24-11-04, 09:58
Hi Purdybird

When I was at the height of my anxiety I used to get lightheaded and dizziness all the time, it's all due to anxiety chuck.

As for your pulse, mine seems to be different at certain times of the day, I think it's quite normal for us lot to be checking our pulse all the time as I used to be paranoid about it.

Hope this helps

Take care

Elaine x

Meg
24-11-04, 10:01
66 is just fine .

Most of us run at anywhere between 50 - 130 bpm each day depending on our current activity .

If you're on a betablocker it will be slower too.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Purdybird
24-11-04, 12:50
Thanks for the replies.

The dizzyness is the thing that is really scaring me at the moment. I can be sitting at my desk at work and then suddenly Whoooooo, my head goes all light and woogy and I quickly check my pulse, becuase the first thought I have is oh my god my heart is slowing down and is about to stop.

Does anybody else do this or am i the only basket case constantly checking their pulse??

davebrum
24-11-04, 14:51
hi purdy
i have had alot of anxiety worrying about my heart - it is very normal for you to have these fears because you suffer from anxiety - believe me it does get better - i know it must be hard for you at the moment but try and concentrate on something else - something positive. if your worries continue why not talk to your gp im sure he could put your mind at rest.
xx david

lainey
24-11-04, 16:39
Hi Purdybird

I like you used to check my pulse all the time especially after a dizzy attack just like u describe, mine used to happen in work and especially in Sainsbury's. As Dave says it does get better, I used to get these dizzy attacks more often when I wasn't eating properly and my blood sugar had probably dropped. Do u eat regularly and healthily? It's quite important when you are very anxious as u are using up so much energy.

Hope this helps

Elaine x

seh1980
24-11-04, 18:11
66 is normal and healthy - you have nothing to worry about!! :D

vernon
24-11-04, 19:45
hi. yes as they say 66 is a good puls rate. i used to check mine every fre mins at one time even went to the loo and checkesd so i easnt watched. my puls is usualy around 90 and my wifes is 55 and was told we are both fine. there is a big difference between different people. And yes I am dizzy most of the time I hate it and have to hold onto things to walk at times. rake care Vernon

nomorepanic
24-11-04, 20:40
I used to feel dizzy all the time but never even thought to check my pulse.

I could be lack of food - do you eat regularly?

Nicola

Purdybird
25-11-04, 09:00
Thanks so much for your replies, you are all so kind and have reasurred me alot.

Can thinking that you're dizzy actually make you dizzy, and does worrying about being dizzy make it worse??

I also have noticed that sometimes, when I stand up suddenly i have dizzy spells, does anyone else suffer with this. It doesn't happen a lot, but has obviously set me of worrying.

Also is there a relationship ( for females ) between anxiety and ' that time of the month'? I seem to have three good weeks and feel like I am really making progress and then take two steps backwards for one week!

Thanks guys you are all so helpful

Purdybird

Meg
25-11-04, 09:07
Yes there definately is a relationship during your cycle .

Yes worrying about can make it worse as you continue to push out stress hormones .

When we stand up suddenly or get out of a hot bath our blood pressure drops and you can get transient dizzness whilst it rights itself . Take it slowly and don't make sudden movements

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

lin
27-02-05, 15:52
i also keep checking my pulse every day i try not to but its a habit now my pulse is 60/70. i was given beta blockers which slowed my pulse to 50 only took 1 though because i was worried its to slow is it normal to be that slow when on beta blockers.

lin

Rennie1989
27-02-05, 17:02
i only check my pulse when im ill, donno why???

Scooter Girl AKA Jade

Tracy68
27-02-05, 21:33
Well lets just say if you're a basket case then so am i lol. I'm constantly checking my pulse (about ten times today) [Duh!]. I'm usually anything between 75 and 84 but i have gone down to about 68 per minute. Like everyone says we are all different.
I'm sure you are fine.
Take care
Tracy
x

tt
01-03-05, 02:18
BASKET CASE?
I HAVE SAT AT THE BLOOD PRESSURE MACHINE BECAUSE
I WAS MORE CONCERNED WITH CHECKING MY HEART RATE.
I HAVE SAT THERE AND JUSTING SITTING THERE MY HEART WOULD BE AT 100 BEATS PER MINUTE, THEN I WOULD DEEP BREATHE AND RELAX UNTIL IT WENT NORMAL AND THEN I KNEW MY MIND COULD CHANGE THE RATE ANYTIME I LET IT.
I AM TOO THE WORRY WORT WHEN IT COMES TO MY HEART.
TT:)

TT:)

razocaine_07
01-03-05, 12:41
Hi there, dont worry about if your pulse is in the 60's when i was lying down and on a high dosage of inderal my heart beat felt very very slow. The light headedness could be your blood pressure, have you had it checked? Dont worry your heart beat is fine and your panicing isnt going to have any harm on your health

monicachristine
27-09-08, 19:26
I'm 17 years old, i check my pulse every 2-5 minutes. I have a fear that iam going to die if i dont check it

vti2007
27-09-08, 20:12
My pulse can be as low as 40-42 resting so you really have nothing to worry about. Even rushing around it doesn't really get over 60-65. Slow pulse will not harm you. Just shows your heart isn't having to work too hard cos it's in good nick!!

You should be pleased if you have a low pulse :)

yanksforever
28-09-08, 16:50
When you get up suddenly and stand, it is very veyr normal to get lightheaded and dizzy. It's a change in blood pressure and very normal. My doc told me so.

Dazza
28-09-08, 17:49
yep - 66bpm is very normal. mine was about 53bpm while at rest a while back, and my doc said that this was also ok...so you are well within the normal range.

bellabum
14-12-08, 18:45
I'm glad I've found this thread - it's reassured me a lot.

redballoons
15-12-08, 10:16
sounds about the same as my husbands (mine is around 120 but that a diff story lol) I think 66 sounds normal :)

sophie

bellabum
15-12-08, 11:10
It's when it's 51 that it worries me! LOL

jo 345
07-03-10, 16:31
Hi purdybird,new to this site.I too am a compulsive pulse checker.I have what i think are ectopic beats plus slow pulse/fast pulse.I was also getting dizzy spells which appear to be anxiety linked.You are probably hyperventilating,you can do this without realizing.Try taking deep breaths in and out.Reading about ectopic beats and hearing other people have the same problem as me has made me feel so much better.:huh:

jo 345
07-03-10, 19:04
yes thinking about being dizzy can make you dizzy because you start shallow breathing/hyperventilating.You then have more carbon dioxide than oxygen in your body which causes dizziness.

jo 345
07-03-10, 19:05
My pulse is sometimes 50 !