View Full Version : Headaches, tension or tumour !

breeze25
09-06-07, 17:29
Hi all.

for me it started about 8 weeks ago, life became pretty stressful, so I took St Johns Wort to try and chill me, but had to stop taking them after only 4 days as I got terrible dizzy heads, but after another week I was still dizzy so went to the doctors, she thought it was labrithitos (sp ?) although she was just taking a random guess. I started after about 5 weeks to worrying about them, what could be causing it etc etc, where I had my first panic attack for several years. I then developed headaches, I started getting a few a week, i started to worry about them, and this made my anxiety worse, I then started getting headaches most days, I have had one now for the last 8 days running. Its very upsetting. It usually starts in same place at the back of my head and a few inches up from my neck or slightly more to the side. By the time I am aware that that feeling is there (feels like someone is pinching the side of my head) within an hour of so the whole of my head aches and I feel as though I have been whacked on the back of the head with a baseball bat.

I get slightly forgetful at time, but I know that this is a symptom of anxiety, but yet I can't get it through to myself that its not a tumour.

Some of the time I can put things into perspective and manage to get through to myself that it is likely to be a stress / tension type headache, but the majority of the time I panic and worry that its a tumour, I go to the doctors who says all the right things and says it doesn't sound serious at the moment, I feel better only to go home and an hour later think but what if she is missing something. I have been sitting here most of the day trying to deal with the fact that I think I have a tumour and one they won't be able to operate on, I worry about leaving my young son and my husband. Its breaking me at the moment and I am trying my hardest to keep a lid of things, but I feel I just want to cry.

I have tried Indian Head Massage, yoga dvd and tension headache pills, but the tension goes but I am just left with the feeling of where I am convinced my tumour is, and I swear if I think about it enough I can make the feeling more important that it actually is.

I am back to the doctors early next week.

Amanda3266
10-06-07, 10:30
Hi Mev,

These sound exactly like tension headaches to me. The dizzy spells are also pretty indicitive of anxiety - you may not be aware of it but your breathing is probably much shallower because of the anxiety - you get less oxygen as a result - hence dizzyness - you feel the dizzyness - get worried and anxious - breathing is shallow etc etc. Might also explain the headaches. Dizzyness and headaches are well-known symptoms of anxiety.

I really feel for you as I go through this from time to time - can be any symptom. Most of the time I deal quite well with symptoms but if I am feeling especially low then they assume an importance out of all control - like you I often fear the symptom is a sign of some tumour or other (always incurable) and then worry about leaving my DS with no Mummy! My anxieties and panics started with the birth of my child 4 years ago - PND is hell isn't it?

There is a really good post here somewhere about the irrational and rational voices within us - it might be with the Health Anxiety advice stuff. Will check.

Sending you a hug:hugs:

Amanda3266
10-06-07, 10:31
It's called "The Battle That Rages In My Head". Definitely struck a chord with me.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149

breeze25
10-06-07, 18:21
Thanks for replying, and for the link, very helpful.

Today as been a slightly better day, tried to be positive, have not quite made it all through the day without any sort of panic, but its an improvement on yesterday.

breeze25
11-06-07, 07:33
had a lousy nights sleep last night as my right ear was blocked and did not clear itself all night which set me panicing, of course I am thinking its the pressure of the tumour or something equally as silly.

So if anyone can come up with a more sensible idea as to why my ear could be blocked then I would love to hear it. Of course its the size where the head aches start from.

Amanda3266
11-06-07, 08:57
Hi Mev,

This is likely to be ear wax, fluid or a middle ear infection (which can cause pain and dizziness as well). Add tension and anxiety and the symptoms get worse.

Blocked ears are horribly annoying and irritating. I get this sometimes (probably about once a year) and usually use some stuff from the chemist to clear it - takes several days though.

mirry
11-06-07, 11:18
Hi Mev, You should tell your doctor you want a scan, I think thats the only way to rest your mind isnt it ? When you get the all clear you can then stop worrying about it being serious and work on some relaxation.

take care

breeze25
11-06-07, 11:38
i think I definately have to do something, the trouble is last time I saw the doctor and mentioned a scan she said if it not gone by the time I go back tomorrow then she will refer me, but warned that there would be a wait, and after I have been seen they will decide if I need a scan and I will have to wait for that.

My neck feels stiff today and almost my shoulder, I feel really anxious, its my anniversary today and my husband wants to take me out for lunch, I should be trying to have a nice day, but inside feel really sorry for myself, want to cry and go back to bed.

Apart from having the Post natal depression, these dark days normally are over with in a matter for days/weeks, this is really starting to drag on and really getting depressed about it. :weep: :weep: :weep:

breeze25
12-06-07, 11:01
Actually had a very potive experience with the doctor.

I have to have another blood test, also have been given pills to try and help sort the headaches out and been referred to see a neurologist, and just booked the appointment and its in just under a months time, so thats a lot quicker than I thought. I have been feeling like this about my head for about 2 months, so another month should be easy to focus on and try to be positive.