PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a book

MattZion
09-09-17, 12:48
Hi all,

Came back from CBT yesterday and had a really good session I felt calm and relax. I decided I would try and read a book (haven't done this is many years) So I picked up Terry Pratchett's - Colour of Magic (Discworld Series). By the time I realised it I have gotten half way through the book and I didn't hardly think of any anxiety! so I am going to read a lot more specially better than watching tv programs.

Any of you lovely people out there recommend a decent book? Whats your favourite and why? I don't mind reading anything to be honest.

Also if you are reading this and haven't tried reading to help the anxiety try it and give it a go :) Let me know how you get on.

Matt

kitkat3478
09-09-17, 12:51
Hiya Matt, that's great that you find that's helping you, have you read girl on the train, it's really good, few twists in it :)

MattZion
09-09-17, 13:06
No I haven't Kitkat When I went to Portugal 2015 when it was released all I saw was everyone read that book around the pool including my partner haha its got really good reviews :)

kitkat3478
09-09-17, 13:08
You should give it a go :-), I wouldn't recommend the film of it, I found the film quite boring compared to the book, I think that's because I read the book first, and the imagination of your mind is better sometimes :)

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-17, 05:55
I've been reading through the Discworld series iver the last couple of years. I've got another 10 to go. I've read some of the non Discworld ones too and they are also very good. Even the younger readings ones, they are just a little more light hearted but the style is the same.

Some great characters in the Discworld series; Death, the witches (especially Nanny Ogg!), Gaspode the talking dog, the librarian, etc.

Lilliput
17-09-17, 10:00
Huge Pratchett fan here. Love his take on the world and his brilliant characters. Don't forget The Luggage.
Enjoy!
Haven't done much reading for a while but will have a think.

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-17, 11:40
Huge Pratchett fan here. Love his take on the world and his brilliant characters. Don't forget The Luggage.
Enjoy!
Haven't done much reading for a while but will have a think.

How could I forget The Luggage?!!! :doh: A trunk that needs so many legs not so much for the use of walking but for kicking arse with :biggrin: An angrier piece of furniture you will not meet.

If only we could go for a pint in The Mended Drum and a drunken sausage in a bun afterwards courtesy of Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler.

I would stay at Mrs Cake's place. She would always know what I want for tea! :yesyes:

Lilliput
17-09-17, 13:27
When I had a new bathroom I was inordinately thrilled, if a little worried, that the cupboard doors were pearwood :ohmy:
Must just be a veneer because they've stayed put and not caused any trouble :D

MattZion
18-09-17, 20:33
I love the disc world series I managed the colour of magic in 3 days and now started the 2nd book :) I know I will blitz through them in about a month and have nothing to read haha :( I do like humour fantasy. I love the luggage though its brilliant!

If you could recommend any books similar you would be amazing :)

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I love the disc world series I managed the colour of magic in 3 days and now started the 2nd book :) I know I will blitz through them in about a month and have nothing to read haha :( I do like humour fantasy. I love the luggage though its brilliant!

If you could recommend any books similar you would be amazing :)

Lilliput
18-09-17, 20:57
Sadly, I have never found anything to match Terry Pratchett's works - not that I have exactly scoured the libraries. I read all sorts of things but not too keen on science fiction that takes itself too seriously which is why I love TP.
I like crime novels - preferably not too brutal and gory - for an easy read. Have been getting going on Peter James' Roy Grace series.

MyNameIsTerry
19-09-17, 18:13
I clearly wasn't thinking straight, how could I forget The Nac Mac Feegle?!!! They are hilarious.

"Aye, tae that yer wee scunner"
"We're noot pixies, we're pictxies"

:roflmao:

They drink, they fight, they drink some more. They may be inches tall but enjoy running up to big nasties, jumping up to head height and nutting them.

I wonder where Pratchett got his inspiration from? :biggrin:

Lilliput
19-09-17, 19:38
There are so many brilliant characters it's not surprising you can't remember them all at once!
I have a soft spot for Carrot, the dwarf.

MyNameIsTerry
20-09-17, 01:43
There are so many brilliant characters it's not surprising you can't remember them all at once!
I have a soft spot for Carrot, the dwarf.

The 6ft musclebound, prince of a dwarf, Carrot. I can't say anything against that...I quite like Angua :whistles: (I'm not sure about her hairy sie though
:roflmao:)

Nobby Nobbs. He can prove he's human as he's got a card saying so. :D

MattZion
24-09-17, 08:36
what books are you both reading at the moment?

Lilliput
24-09-17, 09:05
The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 09:42
I'm on Night Watch. I'm not feeling it as much as his others though. I felt the same about Jingo. Sometimes it's mood though, I have the odd period where I don't feel like reading and it's happened with other authors despite the stories being good.

Other than Pratchett I read mostly historical fiction. Scarrow, Cornwell, etc. Christian Cameron is good if you like Greek stories (I've not tried his others yet), Giles Kristian is good for vikings as is Robert Low, Joe Abercrombie's Heroes was good so I plan on more of his.

Other than those I've read Andy McNab, Wilbur Smith, Justin Cronin, David Eddings, Trudi Canavan, Clive Cussler, Scott Mariani (much better than Cussler I found), Jack Ludlow, Paul Hoffman, David Gibbins, John Stack, Oliver Bowden, George RR Martin, Isaac Asimov, David Baldacci, Harry Sidebottom, Jay Kristoff, Mary Renault, Steve Berry, Tim Severin - all one to a few of their books.

Rick Riordan is also good at the younger end of the market. I've read a few of his.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

I've got all them in my to do pile. What are they like?

MattZion
24-09-17, 22:00
I love we are all reading Pratchetts work :)

If I find any new ones I will post on here!

Lilliput
24-09-17, 22:33
I have to say I have rather lost track of which Discworld ones I've read - a lot - and which ones I haven't. I haven't read any for several years. I may just have to start again!