PDA

View Full Version : Chest Wall/Rib Cage Pain

thestruggle
09-09-17, 17:22
So, I've been having this pain for a while now...it sort of comes and goes, but feels like it's mainly in the ribs and sternum. I noticed it after subjecting to my body to months of a crazy fast exercise class where one part was doing press ups and then tricep dips. I remember sitting in position to do the dips and having to stop as soon as I lowered myself because of a shooting pain across my whole chest. Now it's more of a dull ache. Walking round town today and felt it again on the left, between my ribs. Doctor was quite dismissive when I mentioned it at my last appointment and told me to take painkillers.

Anyone had anything similar? I'm not out of breath of anything and notice it more after the gym where I'm doing exercises that affect my chest, like shoulder work. It's hard to describe, just feels like there's a radiating pain. I don't look inflamed as such, but my ribs and sternum feel pretty tender if I press them even slightly!

Also could all this cause a lymph node swelling? My body detecting it as something weird? :)

ErinKC
11-09-17, 22:40
I've had this before. The muscles between the ribs can get sore from exercise and also from the heavier breathing we do when anxious. It can be very painful! I forget the name for the muscles there. I'd take an anti-inflammatory for a few days and that should help. and try not to keep pressing on it, which is what I always do!

thestruggle
11-09-17, 22:51
I've had this before. The muscles between the ribs can get sore from exercise and also from the heavier breathing we do when anxious. It can be very painful! I forget the name for the muscles there. I'd take an anti-inflammatory for a few days and that should help. and try not to keep pressing on it, which is what I always do!

Thank you for the advice! :) It's good to know it's not that scary, just muscle pain? I've only got to twist awkwardly and it sets off that painful weird feeling.. I'll mention it to the doctor when I next go and try to get some tablets!

au Lait
11-09-17, 23:13
Sounds like you may have strained your intercostal muscles. It's happened to me before too. It's annoying but it's nothing serious. Take a break from working out for awhile to allow your muscles to heal.

golddustgirl1000
12-09-17, 06:06
costochondritis..... I've had it off and on for 3 years.. I've done extensive research and have a lot of tips that can help you... please dm me... this is the kind of condition that can ruin your life if not managed, but manageable if you know what to do..

Drs can't do anything... I repeat ... drs won't help you how you really need it... dm me