PDA

View Full Version : Tired of not being able to support myself

Midnight-mouse
10-09-17, 22:26
Hi everybody, I've been lingering around and commenting here and there for a little while, I'm a 23 year old female from the UK. I have GAD, health anxiety, OCD and depression.

Last year I hit an all time low and nearly took my own life due to the stress and anxieties I suffered as a result of working, I tried many jobs at different hours but nothing helped. I was spiralling and completely out of control, since then I have been through CBT and haven't worked, currently I am being supported by ESA and I am doing much better in general. I am certainly not a risk to myself any more and have made positive improvements in my life since, even if I do wobble every now and again.

Ultimately I am fed up of being unable to provide for myself and my partner who is very patient and has taken care of me for the last 6 years.

Does anyone work from home in any way that supports them? And could offer any advice on this matter.
I know I can not return to a formal job, it's just not the right place for me but I would love to have something to dedicate myself to.

Thank you in advance of any replies and advice given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK77
10-09-17, 23:21
I have noticed your level-headed and sound advice on many threads. Not being patronising, but you come across as very mature for your age. Perhaps that's partly because you appear to be in a stable relationship with someone who obviously cares about you - not just for you. That is an important distinction.

But life is unpredictable. There might come a time when your partner will need you to care for him. Would you do that? If the answer is yes then you have already found something to dedicate yourself to, and the rest, as in a vocation, is a bonus.

Midnight-mouse
11-09-17, 00:49
I have noticed your level-headed and sound advice on many threads. Not being patronising, but you come across as very mature for your age. Perhaps that's partly because you appear to be in a stable relationship with someone who obviously cares about you - not just for you. That is an important distinction.

But life is unpredictable. There might come a time when your partner will need you to care for him. Would you do that? If the answer is yes then you have already found something to dedicate yourself to, and the rest, as in a vocation, is a bonus.

Thank you. I usually pride myself on trying to take the most level headed approach possible, unfortunately with mental health issues being the way they are it's not always as straightforward as we would like!

I actually have already had to care for my partner during a time when he was immobile due to a flare up of a childhood disease that put him in a wheelchair when he was younger. Also with his own anxieties and troubles.

There is no doubt that the relationship and care he has given me has helped me in many ways, he has remained with me throughout it all taking the last year out of his working life to care for me, I would truly be lost if it wasn't for him.

Darksky
12-09-17, 21:51
Are you arty or crafty at all?

I was thinking along the lines of making things to sell. What about pet sitting or dog walking?

Midnight-mouse
12-09-17, 21:57
Are you arty or crafty at all?

I was thinking along the lines of making things to sell. What about pet sitting or dog walking?

I am actually both arty and crafty, that's not a bad idea.

I've tried offering pet sitting and dog walking but as I'm not insured/have an established business it seems that people aren't interested.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Darksky
12-09-17, 22:14
Well Christmas is coming up. :winks: get yourself a fb page of your work and get your friends to share it. You will be amazed at how far these things spread. Start an eBay account for selling your stuff.

Also you could look into insurance for dog walking. Put up adverts in local shops, in the local paper, in the vets, in pets at home, in boarding kennels. Get some cheap flyers printed, or do it yourself if you have a printer.

Loads of people work from home, you just have find what suits you. Good luck :)

Annaboodle
12-09-17, 22:26
Hello :) I did transcribing work for quite a long time working from home. I was providing written transcriptions for academic interviews and focus groups. You need an ok computer and transcribing software that enables you to slow down the speech, pause it, etc... It paid pretty well. I advertised on notice boards at the local uni and through small ads online. I've also done a wee bit of childminding - school pick-ups locally and also looking after a friend's child when she was working. It was a lot easier and more inexpensive than I thought becoming a registered childminder. I found the school pick-ups were good as it was just for a couple of hours a day and I could cope with that better.

Pet sitting/dog walking: I applied for that and was told they wanted retired people. There is a woman down the road from me who runs some sort of "small dog/puppy au pair service". I think it's basically posher dog sitting but there is a market for it. I only mention it, because I keep seeing her out and about walking small dogs and she looks happy all the time! lol.

I think it is a really good idea to try and find something that, as you say, you can devote yourself to and to support yourself. Without going in to it all, at 43 I have almost no financial security, and if I could have my time over I would definitely prioritise it. I was married but it didn't work out and I had coasted along for a long time thinking that I would be ok because my husband and I would always be together and there was always going to be more time to sort that side of things out. I think the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have created at least some financial security for yourself must be a great thing.

Midnight-mouse
12-09-17, 23:14
Darksky I hadn't even thought about Christmas, I could definitely start work in preparation. Thank you, I hope that you are well.

Annaboodle thank you so much for the very thoughtful reply, transcribing sounds like something I would actually be quite interested in doing, I'll look more into it.
Children are a no go for me, but it's definitely a valid option.

I definitely want to work towards something that gives me an amount of independence. I am certainly aware that given our ages my partner and I may not make it through life together, of course unfortunately it's the case for any relationship. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out between you and your husband and I definitely head the advice that it would be wise to have a little security for myself.

MissRobron
13-09-17, 15:57
An EBay shop is a good idea

I agree with the poster who said you seem very level headed and I do like reading your Posts as you give very good advice.

I am sure you will find something

Midnight-mouse
13-09-17, 16:12
An EBay shop is a good idea

I agree with the poster who said you seem very level headed and I do like reading your Posts as you give very good advice.

I am sure you will find something

Thank you for the vote of confidence, it really does help that others in my position have managed to get by and I certainly appreciate the insight of others here very much as I don't have many people in my life I'm able to go to for advice.

beingheretherapy
13-09-17, 19:41
There are many many things you can do these days to not have to work a formal job.

I believe if you keep your eye's peeled and search around hopefully you will find something that looks promising that you also would enjoy!

Try searching online course websites for some cool ideas of things you can do not in a formal job that will help you on your journey.

Good Luck!