PDA

View Full Version : Can all these symptoms really be anxiety???

scared1998
11-09-17, 11:23
Hi, I have been suffering extreme health anxiety since February when I had to stay over night in hospital with palpitations. Since then my life has completely gone down hill, to the point where I barely go out and have had to suspend studies at university. I'm convinced there's an underlying issue here but everyone tells me it's anxiety.

These are my symptoms:
- palpitations (ectopics, large flutters where it feels out of rhythm for a few seconds, little twitches in different parts of my chest)
- head 'zaps'
- sudden temporary extremely blurred peripheral vision
- ringing in ears
- de ja vu
- waking up in night with racing heart gasping for air even though I haven't had nightmares

My main worry at the moment is my heart and the blurred vision as this is occurring daily

I Don't Get it!
11-09-17, 15:36
It's definitely possible that those symptoms (and many more) can be caused by Anxiety.

When you say "everybody" tells you it's just Anxiety, do you mean health professionals or just friends and family and whatnot?

I've had visual problems since 2011 and I've had very thorough testing of my eyes and nobody can find anything wrong with them. This year I finally had to agree that it's my Anxiety that's been causing it - up til now I'd been adamant there was something wrong (and I don't even have health anxiety, just GAD and a bit of social).

Are you having any treatment for your Anxiety?

scared1998
11-09-17, 15:54
Thanks for replying!

What visual problems have u been having?

Both friends/family & professionals say it's anxiety.. since February I've seen 4 cardiologists, had my eyes checked at a&e and the opticians, been to the gp and a&e countless times, nothing has ever been found. I have started seeing a psychologist privately as there was such a long waiting list on the nhs, she is helping (haven't been to a & e in nearly a month which is a HUGE step)

My main fear is my heart, so I'm connecting all these symtoms back to that :(

I Don't Get it!
11-09-17, 16:53
My eyesight was blurred and I had a lot more floaters than I used to. So much so that I kept thinking something small and black was running across the floor (which made my anxiety worse 'cos I'm spider-phobic!).

Also, my eyes would feel tired, uncomfortable and strained any time I tried to see things close up. Reading and PC work gave me eyestrain and headaches. Sometimes my eyes felt like they'd been rubbed - hard to explain - they just never felt "right". My glasses also felt very heavy across my face and my whole head felt strange, sorry can't explain it any better than that.

Also, I sometimes got a shooting sharp pain in my eyes, just for a second or so.

I have noticed that since my Anxiety and Depression have been getting better, my visual problems are also getting better (or maybe I'm just not obsessing about them? Maybe a bit of both).

I hope you get some respite from it all.

Fishmanpa
11-09-17, 17:06
Does your therapist know about posting on the forum? If not, it should be discussed.

Positive thoughts

Lilliput
11-09-17, 17:16
Yes, absolutely they can. It doesn't mean they're not happening to you but, after all those tests show up negative, it means that they can definitely be the result of your anxiety.
When I went for CBT I was given a list of at least 72 symptoms that are known to be caused by anxiety! There are probably loads more than that, in fact.
Try and believe what the tests tell you - especially the ones you have had several times - and you will start to feel better.

au Lait
11-09-17, 17:20
These are all very common physical symptoms of anxiety. They are extremely scary and uncomfortable, but they cannot harm you. I've googled physical symptoms of anxiety many more times than I probably should have, and I can tell you that everything you've just listed is classic anxiety. I've personally suffered from each item on your list as well, and I am fine.

It's interesting how often we read about the mental symptoms of anxiety, but so few people seem to talk about the physical symptoms that anxiety can produce. These physical symptoms can be especially scary for those of us who suffer from health anxiety, as we are more prone to misconstrue those symptoms as signs that we are afflicted with something other than anxiety.

Whenever I'm dealing with a scary or new physical symptom, I find it reassuring to search youtube for videos that people have made discussing the different physical anxiety symbols that they have experienced. I can't tell you how many times I've watched one of those vids and thought, "Me too! That's exactly how I feel!" You'd be really surprised to hear some of the ways that anxiety can affect our bodies. Everything from vision/hearing problems to weird tingly sensations. It's all due to anxiety and living in a constant "fight or flight" state. I have heard the physical symptoms of anxiety referred to as "adrenal fatigue" as well. These symptoms can be felt even when you are not actively having a panic attack.

anx1ous
11-09-17, 18:31
I have experienced every symptom you have listed before, especially the deja vu and the visual symptoms. I know it's hard to accept it's anxiety and not some underlying thing like a tumor or epilepsy, but trust your therapist and your doctor.

DivineAngle
13-09-17, 06:52
Have you seen a cardiologist for the palpitations and skipped beats? If so what did they say?

I am also getting PVCs on a daily basis too. Maybe it's a common symptom.

gillebro
14-09-17, 11:26
Hiya,

Just adding another 'yes it can!' voice to this.

Those are all classic anxiety symptoms, like everybody has been saying. I get all sorts of weird palpitations going on. I also get a lot of numbness, pins and needles etc, in my extremities, which can be hella scary for us HA sufferers.

Somebody else mentioned looking up physical symptoms of anxiety more times than you can count, and... yeah, I'm the same. You would be AMAZED at the sheer number of random symptoms that can be traced back to anxiety.

Take a deep breath, and remember to talk to those nearest and dearest to you about what's troubling you. They care, and they will listen.

WorrywartAus
14-09-17, 11:29
I went to ED with palps and tingling all over my face, neck, back, arms and legs. It lasted for days.
I still get lightheaded.
It's all anxiety.. it's crazy how much it can affect a person.

I've started the thrive programme. I'm hopin it will help me get over this BS!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

scared1998
16-09-17, 14:06
Thanks for everyone for replying!

I have seen 4 cardiologists over the past 6 months and I now have a loop recorder implanted in my chest.. every doctor I have seen says it's anxiety, the cardiologist has only given me a loop recorder because the anxiety of thinking I have something seriously wrong with my heart has affected my life so much. Hopefully once they have seen and evaluated my episodes of palpitations through the monitor I will finally be at ease (my fear has been bc they have never caught a really bad episode).

I've just had a pretty bad palpitation now, I was sitting down and then BAM a huge flutter - I don't know if what I describe as a flutter is what other people describe as flutters- it just felt like my heart had come out my chest and beating all out of rhythm for a split second, if that makes sense?

Just to note this feels different from a classic ectopic beat, which to me just feels like on hard thump, this is more like a few irregular beats merging I guess

AnxietySuckss
17-09-17, 11:48
I got brain zaps when I went off my Cipralex 5mg (AKA Lexapro/Escitalopram). Scariest shit ever, lol. I thought I had a brain tumour that was giving me mini seizures.
All your symptoms are anxiety related, yes.

Chick100
17-09-17, 12:58
Hi, I have been suffering extreme health anxiety since February when I had to stay over night in hospital with palpitations. Since then my life has completely gone down hill, to the point where I barely go out and have had to suspend studies at university. I'm convinced there's an underlying issue here but everyone tells me it's anxiety.

These are my symptoms:
- palpitations (ectopics, large flutters where it feels out of rhythm for a few seconds, little twitches in different parts of my chest)
- head 'zaps'
- sudden temporary extremely blurred peripheral vision
- ringing in ears
- de ja vu
- waking up in night with racing heart gasping for air even though I haven't had nightmares

My main worry at the moment is my heart and the blurred vision as this is occurring daily

Hi scared1998.

This all sounds to me like classic anxiety symptoms, and nothing more sinister. Iīm sure if you look up anxiety, you will see everything thatīs troubling you is on the list, and more besides.
If you can find a copy of one of Dr Claire weekes books on the anxiety state, she gives very clear instruction on both the psychical and metal state and ways to cope.
I hope you feel better very soon and are reassured that your symptoms are nothing more than those produced by anxiety. :bighug1:

scared1998
05-10-17, 16:13
Hi everyone..

My anxiety around my palpitations has improved massively these past few weeks, partly down to the fact that I now have a loop recorder implanted in my chest (the dr said it is just for reassurance as he knows how much the anxiety about them has affected my life).

However, I'm still so scared they're going to find something like NSVT, as I often have hard thuds/skips which i KNOW are ectopics but other times I have this big jumbled up fluttery heart feeling for a few seconds which feels very different and a lot more scary.. does anyone else have this?

scared1998
06-10-17, 20:30
Anyone? Trying to be as positive as I can and I have done really well not seeking reassurance or going to a&e/dr's for around a month now! Just having a bad couple of days :(

I Don't Get it!
07-10-17, 11:57
Sorry to hear you're having a couple of bad days, give yourself a hug from me :hugs:

I don't have those symptoms that you do, but they can very well be caused by Anxiety. Worrying about those symptoms will make them worse, if they are caused by Anxiety - the worry feeds the Anxiety (only feed something if you want to keep it!).

I think it's great that you're wearing that loop recorder, if they find a problem they can help you with it, that's a positive.

Can I ask you a question? What are you doing about your Anxiety? Are you still seeing a Therapist?

scared1998
07-10-17, 14:32
Thank you!!:bighug1:

I also think the loop recorder is a positive, I just hope they see one of my servers episodes and tell me whether or not it is just anxiety!

I'm at university but I am traveling home every two weeks to see my therapist at the moment! Still feeling quite anxious today, but hopefully it will pass :)

I Don't Get it!
07-10-17, 14:53
Have you ever found anything that can help you relax?

A five minute guided meditation or self hypnosis with imagery of a safe and happy place? Even five minutes of peace from Anxiety and worry can be a help to your poor tired mind.

Best wishes :0)