PDA

View Full Version : creepy guy

megsi99
12-09-17, 01:38
hi all - today at Panera there was a guy sitting next to me who was acting weird and was passing out business cards to people who walked by. he came over to give me one and asked my name. so he knows my name and also where I work (large company) but i didn't give him a business card. now i'm freaking out that he was a really bad person and will track me down somehow, IDK. i'm freaking out, any advice would be appreciated.

meant2live
12-09-17, 01:53
Maybe if you see him again, you should tell someone.

I guess I would just start by contacting the Panera chain you were in to tell them about the strange behavior.

He may have just been trying to network, but it's always good to be aware of people.

MyNameIsTerry
12-09-17, 02:05
What was the strange behaviour though? How was he creepy? Isn't this what people do when they are trying to advertise? Why do you think he will stalk you? How do you know he was a bad person?

Couldn't he just be a guy trying to make some contacts? Did he do anything inappropriate? If not, why would his employers care?

Even if by knowing your name and where you work he wanted to contact you, you are surrounded by people and protected by rules regarding your privacy (company data like your address) so even if he did turn up, he surely wouldn't be allowed to get in without someone fetching him or being allocated a security pass? He could try to call but you can put the phone down and speak to your manager about blocking his calls through reception desks if he did say anything inappropriate.

It's like if you in a shop or on the bus and someone got chatty, are they a bad person or are they just being chatty? Thoughts like this could latch onto so many situations in our lives so try to rationalise the pros & cons.

megsi99
12-09-17, 02:29
Yes, I thought the same thing. All the contractors and people I have random interactions with aren't any different. I just happened to have a bad feeling about this guy, he made me uncomfortable and my anxiety took hold and ran with it.

This feels like a full blown panic attack that I can't shake - I can't stop worrying and wondering and I just want to control the situation by un-doing me ever being there. sigh. I appreciate the responses, though...thank you.

braindead
12-09-17, 09:51
What was the strange behaviour though? How was he creepy? Isn't this what people do when they are trying to advertise? Why do you think he will stalk you? How do you know he was a bad person?

Couldn't he just be a guy trying to make some contacts? Did he do anything inappropriate? If not, why would his employers care?

Even if by knowing your name and where you work he wanted to contact you, you are surrounded by people and protected by rules regarding your privacy (company data like your address) so even if he did turn up, he surely wouldn't be allowed to get in without someone fetching him or being allocated a security pass? He could try to call but you can put the phone down and speak to your manager about blocking his calls through reception desks if he did say anything inappropriat
It's like if you in a shop or on the bus and someone got chatty, are they a bad person or are they just being chatty? Thoughts like this could latch onto so many situations in our lives so try to rationalise the pros & cons.Good answer Terry :shades: