PDA

View Full Version : Going back out on the road

Hambo
12-09-17, 02:36
So basically I'm going back out on ambulance placements (I'm a paramedic student) for the first time in 10 months next week. I'm really really frightened because this is will be the first time I've been out there since my diagnosis. My GAD is partly because of traumatic events that occurred during my placements last year.

I'm scared that my anxiety symptoms (lightheadedness, nausea) will stop me from doing my job and keeping focused. I've been on medication for 6 weeks now but I don't feel like it's done much. I don't want to give up this career but I can't afford to postpone these placements as I have already done so a month ago.

I've also had a panic attack during a placement before and I really don't want that to happen again. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to see a psychiatrist soon but the health system is so slow here in NZ :weep:

Juggar
12-09-17, 08:31
Honestly, I'd just grin and bare it until you can see someone about it. If this is really what you want to do with your life, don't let GAD get in the way! I've found that above all else, I have to keep moving on with life regardless of the anxiety and panic attacks.

I've had terrible fear that I'd have a panic attack while being out and about/driving or working but the only time it's ever happened is when my mind is not engaged. If I am being forced to focus on something like driving or my job I don't have any issues. It only when I sit there and think about anxious thoughts that gets me.

I think you'll be fine. Just get out there and get it done!

braindead
12-09-17, 09:41
I would have a good think is this job for you. your suffering gad and on medication in a top of the tree stressed job. you have patient welfare to think about .You cannot be treating a patient while in the middle of a panic attack, does you employer no of your illness :ohmy: