PDA

View Full Version : Bowel obstruction so scared!

Ryanr1987
12-09-17, 12:05
For the past I think 5 days I struggle to pass fecues and gas without proper pushing. I can pass gas when I force hard and in terms of fecues only small amounts.

I've not had any bad pain just slight pains in the right side, nothing. Even the Mayo clinic has said the common cause is Colon cancer. I'm 30 years old. I had a colonoscopy before but that was about 8 years ago which was clear. I'm seriously freaking out, crying.

Fishmanpa
12-09-17, 12:16
Even the Mayo clinic has said the common cause is Colon cancer.

Properly phrased that would be "Even when I Google bowel obstruction and colon cancer and read the Mayo Clinic info on colon cancer it says it's colon cancer" ;)

You're constipated is all. Take some Milk of Magnesia.

Positive thoughts

Annaboodle
12-09-17, 13:38
It sounds like a bit of constipation. 5 days is a v. short time. Obviously if it continued you'd get it checked out. I'd up my fibre intake (when I get constipation I shovel down a big bowl of All Bran or porridge crammed with berries, with a glass of OJ and a fresh coffee which seems to work for me as well as Fibrogel or any over the counter laxative).

Midnight-mouse
12-09-17, 15:23
For the past I think 5 days I struggle to pass fecues and gas without proper pushing. I can pass gas when I force hard and in terms of fecues only small amounts.

I've not had any bad pain just slight pains in the right side, nothing. Even the Mayo clinic has said the common cause is Colon cancer. I'm 30 years old. I had a colonoscopy before but that was about 8 years ago which was clear. I'm seriously freaking out, crying.

Honestly sounds like constipation, don't strain you'll only hurt yourself. Chocolate, energy drinks and fruit work for me even when eating better doesn't. Either that or having to be somewhere in a hurry but that's just my ibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryanr1987
13-09-17, 02:17
I took some laxative early and managed to go(I'll spare the details) but now I've gone back to not being able to pass wind or go to the toilet with out straining again! What could this be? I'm so scared!

---------- Post added at 02:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

Everywhere is saying colon obstruction is most commonly cancer!

Midnight-mouse
13-09-17, 08:41
I took some laxative early and managed to go(I'll spare the details) but now I've gone back to not being able to pass wind or go to the toilet with out straining again! What could this be? I'm so scared!

---------- Post added at 02:17 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

Everywhere is saying colon obstruction is most commonly cancer!

Could it be that you don't actually need to go? I imagine that after the laxatives you cleared yourself out pretty well. You are probably focusing a lot on sensations from that area right now.

If this is still bothering you make an appointment with your doctor. I have had constipation for a week before, I know that it is incredibly uncomfortable your doctor could give you something to ease the process somewhat.

tingalayo
13-09-17, 10:30
This does just sound like you're constipated but I just thought I'd drop in and say, I've worried a lot about bowel cancer over the years and from what I've learned it doesn't normally present with constipation as the only symptom, a change in bowel habit yes but normally that would be tending towards looser stools or alternating constipation/diarrhoea, and even in that case the NHS says wait 4 weeks before bothering to see the doctor. When they say change in bowel habit they mean PERSISTENT, a change in bowel habit lasting a week is an extremely common thing.
Hope you feel better soon!

Ryanr1987
13-09-17, 11:48
I just went to the doctors and she felt around my tummy and a finger rectum exam and prescribed me that lemon and lime drink stuff to soften stools. I felt that she didn't take me that serious though

Fishmanpa
13-09-17, 12:48
I don't know about you but a finger up the bum is taking it pretty seriously to me! :D You just had a medical professional affirm what everyone here is saying. Your choice to believe it or not.

Good luck, happy pooping and as always...

Positive thoughts

Annaboodle
13-09-17, 13:01
To be honest, after this short amount of time you're lucky she didn't just tell you go away and come back in a few weeks. Giving you an examination like that is being thorough. She sounds like a good GP.

Ryanr1987
14-09-17, 10:56
Yeah maybe I'm expecting so much. So I took about 8 saches and last watery stools. Today I'm back to struggling and have to force out gas and loose stools. My Anxiety is through the roof and I'm stressed 24/7 All I keep reading is "The most commpn cause of bowel blockage is a tumor"

Fishmanpa
14-09-17, 13:03
All I keep reading is "The most commpn cause of bowel blockage is a tumor"

Maybe stop Googling and reading? :shrug: If there was a blockage, you wouldn't be able to go at all. The fact you can, proves there is no blockage.

Positive thoughts

Midnight-mouse
14-09-17, 13:09
If you actually had a blockage then this would be relevant to be honest your a little backed up and stressed about it which can make constipation considerably worse, as can straining for a bowel movement in my experience. The more you focus and try and force things to happen the less that's actually going to come about. I understand right now that it really does feel blocked but your probably pushing for gas ect that wouldn't have been ready to come out for a while and that's why your forcing, your more aware of the gas because your hyper focused on the area.

Nature will take its course, try and help it along with a nice easy diet for a bit and try not to worry. Your doctor would not have dismissed you if they felt that you had a serious problem. It's not that they did not take you seriously enough just that you have not got anything for them to take serious concern over.

Pepperpot
14-09-17, 16:48
I dont mean to sound rude but a few days of being constipated is NOT a bowel obstruction! A bowel obstruction is a medical emergency and would cause a whole heap of other symptoms.

Taken from the NHS site..
Bowel obstruction

In some cases, bowel cancer can stop digestive waste passing through the bowel. This is known as a bowel obstruction.
Symptoms of a bowel obstruction can include:
intermittent, and occasionally severe, abdominal pain – this is always provoked by eating
unintentional weight loss – with persistent abdominal pain
constant swelling of the tummy – with abdominal pain
vomiting – with constant abdominal swelling
A bowel obstruction is a medical emergency. If you suspect your bowel is obstructed, you should see your GP quickly. If this isn't possible, go to the accident and emergency (A&E) department of your nearest hospital.

So there you go. SOME CASES is cancer, and your symptoms do not sound like a bowel obstruction.

Ryanr1987
16-09-17, 13:11
So update I decided to eat Bran flakes and berries yesterday and setimes managed to pass loose soft stools and some gas. Today though it seems the wind just won't come out woyhout force again. My concern is I've got a partial blockage and only loose stools and some wind get through when I sit at a certain angle(or am I looking too much into it) bit I tried to go jist npw and while I had the gping to the toilet sensation(showing I have waste to get rid of) wouldn't the prove I'm blocked?

Mikomiko
16-09-17, 15:50
Hey, I'm 23 and I've been facing the same issue like you for a week. Trust me I've been freaking out too. In fact I felt the more stressed I am about it the more I couldn't go. I've been taking fibre drinks and prunes which helped me a lot. Laxatives are your last options, but try your like with fibre drinks, prunes, vege and fruits.
All the best.

Pepperpot
17-09-17, 21:10
So now you have went from worrying you have a bowel obstruction to a partial blockage cos you have managed to have a poo.

Midnight-mouse
17-09-17, 21:34
tried to go jist npw and while I had the gping to the toilet sensation(showing I have waste to get rid of) wouldn't the prove I'm blocked?

Not really no. I get the sensations of needing to go when I've been backed up. In fact I've had this today as I've been struggling for a few days. But often there's nothing that needs to be done, or that's ready to be anyway.

Remember to say well hydrated too as that can make things difficult.

thestruggle
17-09-17, 23:19
Believe me you would know if you were that backed up beyond normal constipation...you wouldn't be able to sit, lie down or anything..and standing would be even more painful, because gravity.. I had some issues when I was pregnant and I didn't go for getting on for 2 weeks at a time and even though I was terrified, I don't think that was even an obstruction as such :doh: It made me feel very unwell and let's just say I spent a few hours in the bathroom and it wasn't pretty!

If you can try and avoid relying on laxatives that would be good as long-term use isn't healthy.. maybe look at the food you're eating and make sure you're drinking plenty.. Have you had anxiety about this sort of thing before? I'm sure you'll slowly get back into a normal routine with it. As has been said above, stressing about it will only make it worse too..

PanickyGuy
19-09-17, 05:46
As others have said here, you would surely know if you had a bowel obstruction, you'd probably be in major pain, holding your gut, even if it was a so-called "partial blockage".

But if you really want to be sure and put your mind at rest, you might consider and consult with your doctor in getting another colonoscopy.

Ryanr1987
22-09-17, 17:32
I went to the hospital last Tuesday they ran some bloods and took a chest Xray and the Doctor recommended that I carry on using the Cosmocol(Stool softener)

He said if there's no change after about 4 days to come back. I've been taling the stuff and been passing stools but only if I take the stuff. If I don't take it I really struggle to pass.

I'm not going to lie I seriously believe I've got Bowel Cancer. I'm always tired now can full asleep any moment and my weight is down from normal. All I can think about is I've not got long to live.

Midnight-mouse
22-09-17, 17:38
I went to the hospital last Tuesday they ran some bloods and took a chest Xray and the Doctor recommended that I carry on using the Cosmocol(Stool softener)

He said if there's no change after about 4 days to come back. I've been taling the stuff and been passing stools but only if I take the stuff. If I don't take it I really struggle to pass.

I'm not going to lie I seriously believe I've got Bowel Cancer. I'm always tired now can full asleep any moment and my weight is down from normal. All I can think about is I've not got long to live.

If it has not resolved then go back to the hospital/doctors for some more advice. Unfortunately we can't say much on the medical side of things but I would be surprised that your tired with all the stress your putting on yourself with this. I've been in the camp of being certain I will die or be diagnosed with cancer ect but I'm still here and no such diagnosis. I know this is of very little comfort to you but I hope you are able to get this sorted soon

Positive vibes,

C

PanickyGuy
23-09-17, 07:13

Yeah but how do you know it's not just something simple like, IBS or anxiety or both combined? How about your diet dude? Are you getting enough magnesium rich foods in your diet? I mean you might want to consider all the simple possibilities first, before you decide to mentally dig your own grave. :ohmy:

I use to work as a auto technician\mechanic and when a vehicle's engine is acting up the first thing we check for is simple causes. Like the oil level, the antifreeze level, air filters, spark plugs\spark plug wires, coil packs, battery, alternator, bad fuel, fuel lines, carburetors\fuel injectors, etc. And if none of that is it, which a lot of times it is one of those simple things. Then we go through the medium stuff like, engine wires, sensors, relays, computer, etc. And if it's none of that, then we start looking at the heavy stuff like, the valves, the heads, camshaft, the pistons\piston rings, crank, even the block to see if it's cracked and so on. So first off we never automatically think\say it's the worse thing it could possibly be and condemn the whole engine and just give up by saying - okay that's it! It's done for! Might as well haul it off to the junkyard and bury it! Lol. Because usually it's not or very rare that it's the engine itself or a major component of the engine.

What I'm pointing out here is you can't just think the worse right off the bat, you got to think logical about this, even despite what you might read on the Internet. All that is, is sort like medical advertisement to get you to see your doctor just in case there is a very slim chance it might be a indication of colon cancer and for them to pray on your fears to motivate you to see your doctor more often while they're at it. And then you get overly concerned, go see the doc and the doc (much like a mechanic) looks you over and rules out that worse possibility and doesn't worry much about it after that, because they know from experience what to look for if it was colon cancer. Then he\she gives you a few drugs to hopefully fix your less concerning issues in their thoughts (because they are looking for the real killer diseases) and sends you on down the road until next time.

But still, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to the doc's anyway, it's just that you shouldn't let them get into your head like that and make you become overly concerned about it, because it mostly likely something simple that you need to get taken care of anyway that's easy to fix. But they know most people don't think the worse like your doing now, because most people consider that it's something simple like not drinking enough water or bad diet and will not go to the doctor and try to take care of it by themselves. So what does the medical community do to get you in to take care of what is probably a simple problem, they put the fear of god into you, to motivate you, by first suggesting\indicating the worse thing it possibly could be on those medical websites. And even though there is a remote chance it could be, it's doesn't always turn out to be true that often and they know it.

The auto dealerships I worked for would use similar Advertisement scare tactics with people and their automobiles, that was constructed in such way to be something like this;
Vehicle\engine not running right? Engine check light constantly on? You might want to bring it in, because it could be your engine failing or a major component about to break in your engine. Get it check out soon before it breaks or worse, leaves you stranded on the side of the road because if you don't take care of your vehicle\engine soon, it will take care of you.

Does it sound similar to what the medical websites are telling you about a specific ailment in your body? If anything that check engine light should send a red flag off in your mind with worry, if you got that popping up on your dashboard. And you'll notice they don't emphasis too much the other simple possibilities that it could be, but mainly they concentrate on the worse possibility even though they know better.

Anyway, something to keep in mind when you Dr. Google the medical websites with your symptoms. Watch out for mimicking advertisement scare tactics to get you all worked up.

Ryanr1987
29-09-17, 21:21
Update. Just want to say thanks for the replies it has all helped even for a little. Sadly there's been no change. I've seen 4 doctors, had bloods, all have listened to my tummy with a scope and all have pressed around.

All seem to think it's fine even though it's been over 3 weeks. I just don't feel right when I go it just feels like there's something blocking my stools even though there's no hard stools.

I'm thinking of going to the hospital tomorrow I literally can't go a day without thinking of bowel cancer. I also had blood on my stool a while back before which I thought was due to straining but I'm starting to link the symtoms.

PanickyGuy
30-09-17, 00:16
Blood on stool can be from external or internal hemorrhoids or fissures, which can be caused by straining too much and usually it's bright red or maroon in color. Some medical professionals say that hemorrhoids and fissures can cause constipation and some say they don't. I guess that's up for debate.

On the other hand, if you have impacted stool somewhere in the lower part of the colon, most of the time it's either in the sigmoid or rectum, causing constipation and straining, that would also definitely cause a partial blockage. Funny enough, I believe I have one right now (impacted stool) causing heavy constipation and I've only been going for every 3 to 4 days. The big indicator for me is the ribbon stools I've been getting lately and I've had this happen before and it turned out to be impacted stool, just big enough to block other stool trying to come through and bypass it.

Now my usually remedy, if all else fails (stool softer, laxatives, etc), is perform a enema. But I only do that when I really suspect that is the case, otherwise my doctor tells me not to do that if I can help it and only if all else actually does fail. So if you suspect you are having the same issue as me right now, I'd first consult your doctor before you do that and if he\she thinks it's alright, then you might try a enema to dislodge the impacted stool. But make damn sure you talk to your doctor first, before you go that route.

Fishmanpa
30-09-17, 02:05
I've seen 4 doctors, had bloods, all have listened to my tummy with a scope and all have pressed around.

All seem to think it's fine even though it's been over 3 weeks. I just don't feel right when I go it just feels like there's something blocking my stools even though there's no hard stools.

I'm thinking of going to the hospital tomorrow I literally can't go a day without thinking of bowel cancer. I also had blood on my stool a while back before which I thought was due to straining but I'm starting to link the symtoms.

You can continue to chase a diagnosis that will never come or choose to treat the illness you do have. What will you choose to do?

Positive thoughts

Kathryn313
30-09-17, 10:03
Good luck.
My parent has chronic constipation and describes all the symptoms you do. Colonoscopy all clear but 'lazy' bowel diagnosed.

Hope you find peace soon.

Ryanr1987
01-10-17, 11:10
Well just by chance I blught some IBS peppermint capsils called Colpermin. And last Night I had the most effortless bowel movement in weeks. No straining etc although still fairly soft(Isn't it weird how when you have Health Anxiety you can be so open to others lol)

But I didn't feel blocked or struggled. I feel lile celebrating but I'm still cautious just in case!

Midnight-mouse
01-10-17, 11:13
Well just by chance I blught some IBS peppermint capsils called Colpermin. And last Night I had the most effortless bowel movement in weeks. No straining etc although still fairly soft(Isn't it weird how when you have Health Anxiety you can be so open to others lol)

But I didn't feel blocked or struggled. I feel lile celebrating but I'm still cautious just in case!

I use the same tablets when I'm have issues going too far either way, but I have noticed a tendency to be a little softer on them