PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma panic

Purplecarrots
12-09-17, 15:52
Hi,

I'm getting very stressed about a new freckle that appeared on the back of my hand. It might be an age spot (have one or two that have made an appearance on my face- even though when that happened I didn't stress about those).
I went to see my GP and she took a quick look and said that looked innocent as it wasn't raised at all (very flat). After spending sometime on google I think what she said isn't correct (or hopefully I'm totally wrong), and melanoma can be flat? This spot is small, so if someone used a ballpoint pen to make a mark on the hand (not symmetrical and slightly rough edges).
I'm worried that the GP has missed this, I also think she may have thought non white so should be ok (even though Asians too develop skin cancer). I've spent lots of time in hot countries and unfortunately the older generations always believed we don't need sunscreen, so as a child I carelessly played in the hot equator sun with cousins.
I've got two young kids, and I've cried so much imagining them losing me, how would they cope?
Am besides myself and maybe just need some reassurance.
If you got to the end, then thank you for reading this :)

blackbroom
12-09-17, 16:57
I understand how you feel, because I went to see the nurse about two moles that worry me last year and I also question her diagnosis when I'm feeling anxious. Ultimately, though, they are the experts and they have seen far more skin problems than you have. Your doctor may have said it looked flat, but she will have looked for and discounted other signs of cancer, too.

My understanding is that most skin cancers take a long time to develop and the usual advice with a spot that is newly appeared is to photograph the blemish so you have evidence if it gets bigger or changes colour or shape. That's what you need to watch for,but trust your GP when she says it's not concerning until then. The overwhelming probability is it's not cancer - we all have discoloured patches on our skin, especially as we get older, and 99.9% of them are not malignant.

Try not to keep looking on Google - you are looking for something that will reassure you, but even if you find it, you will keep Googling for a second opinion and focus on the things that worry you more.

If there's anyone you can ask for a second opinion that may help, but will you trust what they say any more than your GP? One of the worst symptoms of HA is we start to suspect every medical professional we see of not knowing their job.

Fishmanpa
12-09-17, 17:30
I went to see my GP and she took a quick look and said that looked innocent as it wasn't raised at all (very flat). After spending sometime on google I think what she said isn't correct

Respectfully, if you choose to believe Google over a real live medical professional that looked at you, then what can be said?

Either believe it or chase a diagnosis that will never come :shrug:

Positive thoughts