PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out about Symptoms and Drs Appointment

JoeCanuck
12-09-17, 18:08
So, I have an appointment with my GP to follow up on monitoring my blood pressure. My previous appointment I chickened out on discussing anxiety and all of my symptoms with him, so I'm freaking out a bit about my upcoming appointment. I'm going to write out and print the list and timeline of my symptoms and just give that to him when he walks in the door so that I don't end up chickening out.

I wanted to post the information here as well and maybe get some input from you fine folks about the hell that I've been going through for the past few months:

Note: I'm going to put the stuff about where I've gone down the google rabbit hole on here, but I'm unsure if I should mention that to my Doctor.

The last week in July I was using my PC and went to pick up a can of soda from the desk, and when I was putting it back down my hand shook a bit. This freaked me out a little bit, so I went down the google rabbit hole by googling shaking hands.

A few days later (and much googling) I noticed that my upper thighs were aching and a bit stiff, so I added those symptoms to my googling and the results continued to get more and more grim.

Canada day weekend my legs were wobbly and I felt like crap, I actually went to the ER and had bloodwork done,discussed my symptoms to date with the doctor and was told that everything looks fine.

The same day that I went to the ER I also went to a walk in clinic and was given a quick neuro exam by the doctor and was told he didn't see anything that would give him cause for concern that I was at risk for or had anything bad going on. We talked a bit about anxiety and I felt a lot better after that meeting, though I was still in my head about my symptoms.

I also think that I started self testing my leg strength at that point.

Shortly after that, my left thigh and calf started twitching. Not a ton, but it would twitch for a few minutes and stop for awhile then pick by up again. This freaked me out and sent me back to google where I went down that rabbit hole again. The twitching got worse, spread to my right leg and basically wrecked me from a mental perspective.

I managed to hold off on going to a doctor for a whole week, the clinic was closed so I went to the ER, where I was berated by the doctor for coming in for a non-emergency. This was humiliating as hell so I made the decision to attempt to not overuse medical services if at all possible to avoid similar situations in the future.

The twitching in my legs kept on, off and on over the next month or so.

One thing to come out of the ER visits was that my blood pressure was extremely high, high enough that it prompted them to tell me to make an appointment with my GP to get it checked. I ended up making that appointment and seeing my doctor about a month after the initial issues started cropping up. We discussed my blood pressure (high, im doing at home monitoring now before a follow up), I chickened out on talking about anxiety as I mentioned and we talked about potential ulnar nerve issues (which I forgot to mention earlier in my post, but has been an issue I've had for over a year now, my ring and pinky fingers are always tingling/numb when I wake up at night, and it happens during the day intermittently as well).

After this appointment I noticed that my left pinky finger was trembling a bit, depending on how I hold my hand. This sent me down the google rabbit hole yet again, and yet again I found all manner of scary stuff to freak me out. I was unable to sleep for a few weeks at this point, and was relying on melatonin to get even a modicum of decent sleep.

Around the middle of August the muscles around my right knee started to hurt and spread up towards my hips. This has mostly subsided, but my left leg has started hurting now, around the knee and outside of my upper thigh. It almost feels like it's cramping sometimes.

During most of this I've also felt somewhat jittery, tense and on edge. My hands shake a little bit when I try to hold them steady in the air. I also noticed that my feet shake a little bit when I'm stepping down on them when walking.

More recently my upper arms have started to ache. Not all the time, but it comes and goes.

My legs have mostly stopped twitching, but I've been having other less frequent twitches elsewhere in my body (shoulders, abdomen, thumbs).

My most recent symptoms have been my right eyelid twitching after blinking, my lips trembling (usually when in bed), my left shoulder shaking when I lay on it in bed, a feeling like I'm vibrating when I lay down in bed and buzzing sensations in my palm and feet.

I think that's pretty much everything. If anyone has any thoughts or input that would be great. I might edit this if I forget anything or try to make it more clear.

PanicJ
13-09-17, 04:31
We sound so much alike. Shakey hands, sore muscles, internal vibrations when sleeping. I too, have gone down the rabbit hole and searched every symptom and convinced myself I had something terrible and life changing. After two visits to the neurologist where he physically examined me, I was told the same thing. I have nothing that he would consider a red flag for ALS, MS, or Parkininsons. He recommend I talk to a physiatrist which I plan to do. I am still having these symptoms and yes, I'm still afraid, but I've opened my mind to the fact that everything I'm experiencing can be caused by anxiety and so many people on these boards have been on this journey as well.

Remember, you're not alone. I completely understand how afraid you must feel, but stay strong and listen to your doctors.

J