PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the worst, not believing doctors

Girl18
13-09-17, 16:20
I've hit an all time low with health anxiety. It's never been this bad before. I've posted about breast c worries before and I've visited a doctor and she said it was just fibrocystic breast pain. She also said it sounds like I have a pinched nerve which is unrelated to the breast pain. I felt relief after for days and then my worries came back. My pain went away in my breast after my period started, but I do have tingles in my arm and chest wall/muscle pain and it seems like it was brought on by me slowly getting back to working out again but I guess even when I didn't work my arms much, it came back, but my mind still doesn't believe me. It's like my OCD is leaking into my health anxiety now and I have to check myself over and over and check pains and what not. I'm just worried I have a tumor sitting on a nerve even though the doctor examined me. I want to be better. I have to see a therapist soon. :(

thestruggle
13-09-17, 17:41
I think I have fibrocystic breasts too...it's sort of become more noticeable over the last couple of months although not officially diagnosed yet! Feels like tiny marbles all down the outer side of my breasts and I get a lot of radiating pain which seems to affect the chest wall and calms down after my period :) That sounds like what you have.. The muscle pain and tingles could be from working out, even if you're not training arms or chest directly. The chest is used in a lot of exercises, even lower body ones.. I think if your doctor had a good feel for lumps and couldn't find anything, you're probably alright! You might be paying more attention to pains and nerve feelings you wouldn't normally notice.

I feel your pain because of how hard it is to think rationally when you suffer so hard with health anxiety.. :hugs: I'm sure all of your random aches and pains are due to cyclical breast pains/changes..

gillebro
14-09-17, 12:36
Random pain is the worst for HA, isn't it? I've been there, and I have no doubt I will be there again.

I find that it helps to bear in mind that pain is a common thing that we all feel, and although it -can- indicate that something is wrong, more often than not it is nothing more than a strained muscle or pinched nerve. Uncomfortable, but not dangerous.

Hang in there. These fears and worries will pass. I guarantee it.

honeybun44
14-09-17, 13:13
I've had BC anxiety for years. I am trying SO hard to make myself just believe the doctors. Put the worry and anxiety on THEM. Doctors CAN'T just brush you off---if they even suspect that there is a problem and they don't investigate, they can lose their practice.

If you are like me, you've probably googled the stories of women with BC who say 'be your own advocate!! Push if you think your doctor is wrong!!' For me, that just intensifies my worries. I think EVERYTHING is wrong!!! I literally don't have that filter to understand what is really wrong and what are normal body issues.

Therefore, I HAVE to decide...ok, this is on my doctor. He/she said it's all good.

My new thing is asking people for input on 'how would a "normal" mind deal with this?' I've asked many times, 'would a "normal" mind trust the doctor on this?' (about BC specifically). The answer I get is always YES.

I hope this helps you...I've been where you are more times than I can count, and I suspect it will come up again soon since I need a 6 month mammogram recheck in November.

Hang in there!!

Girl18
14-09-17, 15:25
I think I have fibrocystic breasts too...it's sort of become more noticeable over the last couple of months although not officially diagnosed yet! Feels like tiny marbles all down the outer side of my breasts and I get a lot of radiating pain which seems to affect the chest wall and calms down after my period :) That sounds like what you have.. The muscle pain and tingles could be from working out, even if you're not training arms or chest directly. The chest is used in a lot of exercises, even lower body ones.. I think if your doctor had a good feel for lumps and couldn't find anything, you're probably alright! You might be paying more attention to pains and nerve feelings you wouldn't normally notice.

I feel your pain because of how hard it is to think rationally when you suffer so hard with health anxiety.. :hugs: I'm sure all of your random aches and pains are due to cyclical breast pains/changes..

You may have it as well. My breasts normally get sore around the time of the month but this time my left breast hurt more than the right which made my anxiety hit the roof. Doctor said that one breast is bigger and has more tissue so that's why.

Now that the pain in my breast went away, it feels like I have "phantom pain" if that makes sense? Idk if it's just my body regulating after. Any aches or pains in my left chest arm seem to be amplified now. I just want it to go away and feel normal :(

Thank you for replying :) It really is difficult to think straight with anxiety. This is the worst it's been and it's sucking happiness out of my life. Everyday when I come from work I just crawl into bed and the sadness takes over.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

Random pain is the worst for HA, isn't it? I've been there, and I have no doubt I will be there again.

I find that it helps to bear in mind that pain is a common thing that we all feel, and although it -can- indicate that something is wrong, more often than not it is nothing more than a strained muscle or pinched nerve. Uncomfortable, but not dangerous.

Hang in there. These fears and worries will pass. I guarantee it.

Yeah :( It really sucks. I feel like every ache or twinge or pain is amplified. It's so bizarre. I've been getting tension headaches from all of this anxiety and stress and it feels like it wraps around my neck up my lymph nodes... which freaks me out even more. I am working on ignoring everything and hoping it will pass. Thank you so much for replying!

TunaFish
14-09-17, 15:38
Why going to doctors, when you don't believe them?

Maybe there is nothing wrong at all ;)

Girl18
14-09-17, 16:31
Why going to doctors, when you don't believe them?

Maybe there is nothing wrong at all ;)

That's what I am struggling with. It's my mind. My rational mind believes them and trusts them, but my anxiety mind says they are wrong.

Vikingbeast
14-09-17, 19:47
That's what I am struggling with. It's my mind. My rational mind believes them and trusts them, but my anxiety mind says they are wrong.

See my recent post titled "Why?" I'm right with you!

thestruggle
14-09-17, 19:58
Anxiety really does suck the happiness and rational thinking out of every day if it gets that bad.. It's hard to believe a doctor, when like you say you get these 'phantom pains' and your mind starts working overtime. I think it is a lot to do with hypersensitivity from worrying so much about it, which is understandable.. Fibrocystic breasts make it hard to feel "actual" lumps because for 2 weeks of every month or more they're lumpy from hormones! So you have to really be careful when you check yourself.

I hope you start to feel better soon. Sounds like it's not much fun for you right now if you're struggling at work and then crawling into bed feeling like that.. :hugs: