PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm having a heart attack!!

Caribou93
13-09-17, 18:18
I am freaking out right now! Since about 9:15 this morning, I have had a heavyish feeling in my chest (like a tightness) along with being somewhat short of breath. I was walking to class today, and when I got there, that's when it started. When class started, I was able to sit down, and it pretty much went away, but then when I got back to my dorm, it started up again and hasn't gone away.

I've tried taking my mind off of it, and it's not working. I am about 2 seconds away from going to the doctors and have them do something for me. So it started 3 hours ago, and I'm afraid I'm going to die. I'm only 24 years old, and this is terrifying me!

I'm about literally shaking and about to cry.

Ethansmom
13-09-17, 18:34
Are you having a panic attack? You can go to the doctor to have them check you out. I'm assuming you suffer from anxiety since you are posting here. I hope you are doing okay now.

nomorepanic
13-09-17, 18:35
I have had a heart attack and did not post on here asking if I was having one as that was the last thing on my mind.

You know when something isn't quite right and I knew that morning.

You have to do what you feel is best for you and if that means seeing a doctor then go and do it.

It is HIGHLY unlikely at 24 though

Caribou93
13-09-17, 18:55
I decided to go to the walk in clinic at my school. So I'm waiting for the doctor to see me, but this is still happening. I'm almost confident I'm having a heart attack. I'm absolutely terrified

I don't want to die. :weep:

Fishmanpa
13-09-17, 18:56
I have had a heart attack and did not post on here asking if I was having one as that was the last thing on my mind.

You know when something isn't quite right and I knew that morning.

You have to do what you feel is best for you and if that means seeing a doctor then go and do it.

It is HIGHLY unlikely at 24 though

^^^ THIS ^^^

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
13-09-17, 19:52
You are not going to die and you are not having a heart attack - you having an anxiety attack now though so will make the pain worse.

KK77
13-09-17, 20:13
I'm sure you will soon be back here to tell us it wasn't a heart attack. PAs can be very frightening and feel as if you're going to die. You will be fine.

Catherine S
13-09-17, 22:38
What happened? Was it a heart attack or panic attack? Can you come back and tell us?

KK77
14-09-17, 23:05
Very quiet on this thread :shrug:

Caribou93
18-09-17, 19:34
Hi all,

Sorry I didn't post anything sooner. I of course was having a panic attack. I was just so worried because this panic attack felt like no other panic attack I've had before. My chest felt like it was being squeezed (not just mild pressure like usual), my chest was hot (that never has happened), I was sweating (that has never happened before), etc.

So, of course I felt a little on edge. I did try the usual tricks like listening to music, or just clearing my mind by doing something else to keep me busy but none of that worked. I felt more relieved than anything, but it was still kind of embarrassing.

orthagonal
18-09-17, 19:45
I had the exact same thing happen to me in college. I was walking to class, started to feel short of breath, chest pain, heart racing, sweating, tingling in my arms. Instead of class I went straight to the campus nurse. She asks me "are you having an anxiety attack perhaps?" and everything clicked into place. I said,"At least I'm not having a heart attack" and she said "Well, I didn't say that" and bam I was right back in panic mode!

That night I went to the ER, they did an EKG and blood workup, it was in fact an anxiety attack. The chest pain was costochondritis.

Don't feel embarrassed, when you are in the midst of a panic attack it's terrifying and you really do feel like you're going to die or that something is seriously wrong.

KK77
18-09-17, 20:16
Hi all,

Sorry I didn't post anything sooner. I of course was having a panic attack. I was just so worried because this panic attack felt like no other panic attack I've had before. My chest felt like it was being squeezed (not just mild pressure like usual), my chest was hot (that never has happened), I was sweating (that has never happened before), etc.

So, of course I felt a little on edge. I did try the usual tricks like listening to music, or just clearing my mind by doing something else to keep me busy but none of that worked. I felt more relieved than anything, but it was still kind of embarrassing.

Of course it's relieving to hear it was just a PA, but I shall still hand out a Fishmanpa Told ya so! anyway ;)

Fishmanpa
18-09-17, 21:09
Of course it's relieving to hear it was just a PA, but I shall still hand out a Fishmanpa Told ya so! anyway ;)

Thanks KK... very well done too! ;)

And for good measure... "Told ya so!" :D

Positive thoughts

au Lait
18-09-17, 21:31
Hi all,

Don't be embarrassed. Many times panic attacks mimic serious heart conditions, and even people who have been dealing with anxiety for decades can be fooled. It's scary and can be ultra deceptive when anxiety produces symptoms that are new as well. I'm glad that everything turned out ok. :)