PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in ears

Anonybrit
14-09-17, 00:37
I'm sad to be back here posting again after what has been a good amount of time without an health anxiety, but here we are

I'm 29 by the way.

I have been increasingly anxious about some real life problems lately and then all of a sudden yesterday I noticed a high pitches ringing in my ears. This is the sort of thing that might happen from time to time every few months and last a few seconds/a minute and then pass as I ignored it, but because my anxiety was already in high gear I just focused and fixated on t and it didn't go away.

It's still here the next morning, it's sometimes possible for me to relax and ignore it at which point I start to wonder if it is even there, but then I start thinking about it again and it comes back.

I'm just so afraid it will never go away :(

amy357
14-09-17, 11:45
i get this too i think, like occasionally i will hear a sudden high pitched noise.
one day i decided to google it and apparently its very common, called tinnitus and some causes i found are colds, wax build up in your ear, if you have listened to loud music recently. here is something i copied and pasted to reassure you!

What Causes Spontaneous Ringing In Our Ears?
It happens to everyone. Abruptly, with no warning or apparent cause, one or both of your ears starts to ring. A seemingly high pitched sound that can be distracting at times. Sometimes lasting for just a few minutes, other times lasting for hours.

i just started focusing on my ears and i heard a dull wind like noise so i think that if you are anxious and hyper-aware then this can make it last or seem like worse than it is.

hope it goes away soon!

Anonybrit
15-09-17, 04:47
i get this too i think, like occasionally i will hear a sudden high pitched noise.
one day i decided to google it and apparently its very common, called tinnitus and some causes i found are colds, wax build up in your ear, if you have listened to loud music recently. here is something i copied and pasted to reassure you!

What Causes Spontaneous Ringing In Our Ears?
It happens to everyone. Abruptly, with no warning or apparent cause, one or both of your ears starts to ring. A seemingly high pitched sound that can be distracting at times. Sometimes lasting for just a few minutes, other times lasting for hours.

i just started focusing on my ears and i heard a dull wind like noise so i think that if you are anxious and hyper-aware then this can make it last or seem like worse than it is.

hope it goes away soon!

Hi Amy, have you managed to get rid of it or make it temporary or not bother you?

My health anxiety means I am constantly worrying about it lasting forever and always driving me crazy and that creates the vicious cycle of making the symptom worse. I've noticed when I really calm myself down it gets better or goes away entirely, but then my brain starts scanning for it to check if it really has gone away and bam.. it's back.

Velociraptor
15-09-17, 06:37
Hi.

Just wanted you to know that I've had tinnitus for years now and yes it can be annoying sometimes, but you learn to live with it and eventually block it out.

I know you are saying yours isn't constant, but distraction is your friend.

Take care

Anonybrit
15-09-17, 10:02
But I just don't understand why this has happened or what to expect :( I was literally just making lunch, sat down then noticed this ringing... Yes I was anxious at the time about other things but I hadn't hit my head, no ear infection that I know of, no exposure to loud noises etc....

I had been taking a fair bit of paracetamol and some ibuprofen the week before due to lots of tension headaches but that's it. I really can't think of what else could have caused it and whether or not it's here for good, comes and goes, just temporary or maybe it was always there and my anxious brain just decided to tune into it and now it can't tune out?

amy357
16-09-17, 00:22
Hi Amy, have you managed to get rid of it or make it temporary or not bother you?

My health anxiety means I am constantly worrying about it lasting forever and always driving me crazy and that creates the vicious cycle of making the symptom worse. I've noticed when I really calm myself down it gets better or goes away entirely, but then my brain starts scanning for it to check if it really has gone away and bam.. it's back.

it only get it maybe once a week, so it doesn't bother me especially because i know that it's normal :) if it comes back when you are thinking about it then it's anxiety related because i know that if i start thinking about things like twitching or tingling - it happens!