PDA

View Full Version : Post on here a lot but just need some advice now

becca98
14-09-17, 00:48
Since about 4 years I've been having health anxiety always based around lymph nodes it comes and goes, but now since having a cold I am obsessed with a gland under my jaw, I'd say it was normal sized for someone suffering with a infection but as I am poking and prodding it seems to get bigger, I tell myself I won't touch it and I'll be fine and it'll go down but I can't stop touching it, is there any advice how to stop? I feel like I'm stuck, I really can't seem to stop touching this one no matter what. I am also pregnant so immune system is taking a lot of time to heal from the cold, I am sorry for the constant posts but I just need some advice. I am very depressed about this and I've realised how fed up my mother is getting off me touching my neck, I am also fed up 😔

Fishmanpa
14-09-17, 01:20
Other than wearing a scratch collar/cone, I don't know how to advise you. It's certainly not as simple as saying "Stop touching your ^!%$ neck!" ;)

I think professional help and some hard work is needed. Why not download the FREE CBT course (link in my signature) and do some homework?

Positive thoughts

becca98
14-09-17, 03:30
Other than wearing a scratch collar/cone, I don't know how to advise you. It's certainly not as simple as saying "Stop touching your ^!%$ neck!" ;)

I think professional help and some hard work is needed. Why not download the FREE CBT course (link in my signature) and do some homework?

Positive thoughts

Hey hope you're well! Thank you I've looked at that and I will defo give it a go.
I wish I could have a collar cone! Make my life so much simpler, thank you tho! Will touching my nodes prevent them from going down? I feel like they seem so much bigger in my head 🙄

Allurelle
14-09-17, 03:59
I wish I could have a collar cone!

"I do not like the cone of shame'. - Dug (from the movie UP)

I must watch it again now!

Now for your issue, the more you mess with it, the more it can swell and appear to be getting worse. Can you leave it alone for just a day and let it go back down? Or try to start with just an hour. Whatever works for you but give it a chance to get better. :bighug1:

Fishmanpa
14-09-17, 12:53
Will touching my nodes prevent them from going down?

Yes... and... continually poking and prodding can make them shotty (permanently enlarged).

Positive thoughts

orthagonal
14-09-17, 16:49
I got one in my neck right now that the doc said is reactive but of course I'm in the "what if it isnt!!!" stage right now. Constantly messing with it, trying to figure out how big one cm squared is, trying to judge if it's hard or soft. I was literally pinching it and picking it up to prove it was movable. Which is of course only going to make it worse.

Swollen lymph nodes really are the worst test for people with HA. It's a lump you can feel, the Google info on it is all over the place (rubbery is good! rubbery is bad!) and you have to wait two weeks or so for it to go down, or it might be serious. But probably not! And it can last forever and still be fine! And it only gets better by not constantly messing with it, which is like the hardest thing for a HA person to do.

Ban lymph nodes, I say.

becca98
14-09-17, 21:05
I got one in my neck right now that the doc said is reactive but of course I'm in the "what if it isnt!!!" stage right now. Constantly messing with it, trying to figure out how big one cm squared is, trying to judge if it's hard or soft. I was literally pinching it and picking it up to prove it was movable. Which is of course only going to make it worse.

Swollen lymph nodes really are the worst test for people with HA. It's a lump you can feel, the Google info on it is all over the place (rubbery is good! rubbery is bad!) and you have to wait two weeks or so for it to go down, or it might be serious. But probably not! And it can last forever and still be fine! And it only gets better by not constantly messing with it, which is like the hardest thing for a HA person to do.

Ban lymph nodes, I say.

Oh my I agree with this so much it's probably the worse place to look for information on them as it's full of crap! I don't even know if mine are moveable I press on them and they move out of the way but that's it haha, don't think I'll try pick it up ;)!