PDA

View Full Version : Lump on side, back of tongue. Odds of OC?

WorrywartAus
14-09-17, 11:02
Hi there,

I've been having a bit of a rough patch.
Loads of breast scans and 2 biopsies plus, a scan on my neck. Thankfully all clear.

Unfortunately, I've been sore on the back of my tongue for some weeks, maybe months but, due to other stresses, ignored it.
I then found a lump 2 weeks ago. No idea how long it's been there. It's about 5mm in size and the same colour as my tongue, if not a bit red. It feels uncomfortable back there.. but I can't feel the lump with my finger.. I can only see it.

I just need some reassurance?
I have a referral to a head and neck Dr but, I seem to be quite low on their list as I've not had a return call.
Will be seeing a dentist next week for his opinion.

So over this process. I have 2 kids under 2. I'm 38 years old and smoked for 2 years.
I don't drink anymore but did socially.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Midnight-mouse
14-09-17, 12:43
Hi there,

I've been having a bit of a rough patch.
Loads of breast scans and 2 biopsies plus, a scan on my neck. Thankfully all clear.

Unfortunately, I've been sore on the back of my tongue for some weeks, maybe months but, due to other stresses, ignored it.
I then found a lump 2 weeks ago. No idea how long it's been there. It's about 5mm in size and the same colour as my tongue, if not a bit red. It feels uncomfortable back there.. but I can't feel the lump with my finger.. I can only see it.

I just need some reassurance?
I have a referral to a head and neck Dr but, I seem to be quite low on their list as I've not had a return call.
Will be seeing a dentist next week for his opinion.

So over this process. I have 2 kids under 2. I'm 38 years old and smoked for 2 years.
I don't drink anymore but did socially.

It could be we're you've caught or rubbed your tongue with your teeth, also if you've been stressed you may of been grinding your teeth in your sleep and have made it sore. Could it be a little ulcer? My partner suffers fairly often with things like this. It's in out nature to go from 0-60 in a matter of moments but quite frankly most of these things are completely harmless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
14-09-17, 14:48
Odds of OC?

IMO? None...

Positive thoughts

orthagonal
14-09-17, 16:18
OC classically manifests as a deep and cracked sore, not a lump. Lumps in the mouth are caused by a lot of things. I bit the hell out of my lip a couple of weeks ago and it formed a mucocele on my lip (a harmless and common stopped-up mucus duct) , which of course freaked me out but it got better.

riversidewalking
14-09-17, 19:27
Perhaps you're looking at your Circumvallate Papillae? These can get quite big and are part of your normal tongue anatomy.

DonnaT
14-09-17, 20:45
I was going to say are they at the back of your tongue? They are Taste buds partnofbyour tongue. If we're writing about the same thing I only know that because I found these and started panicking, I asked everyone I knew to stick their tongue right out.

WorrywartAus
14-09-17, 20:49
Thanks for replying everyone.

I went to the Dr who saw the lump. She's referred me on.
It's definitely a lump, not an ulcer and not 'the norm'.
It gets sorer (is that a word?) As the day progresses.

My also dealing with next to mo sleep, as my 6 month old jyst won't sleep at night! zzzzz

I'm so tired and over all these lumps. I keep thinking the worst the berating myself for doing so.

The tension/grinding/trauma theory is definitely plausible and something I'll hold onto.

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 ----------

Sorry for the typos!

WorrywartAus
19-09-17, 04:04
Just wanted to update.
Dr said the lump had gotten bigger in surface area but had flattened..
I went to the dentist today and he said it wasn't anything!
He said, anything in your mouth, see a dentist first!!

Thanks for your support.