PDA

View Full Version : Off work due to Health Anxiety

MissRobron
14-09-17, 19:51
I have been off work due to HA for a while now and I seem to spend the entire
day focusing on my problem. I know I should go back to work but the thought
scares me.

Anyone else not working due to this and how do you fill your day to avoid obsessing.

WorrywartAus
14-09-17, 20:50
As a sufferer of HA; the single worst thing you can do, is give yourself more time to brood over your fears.

What about work is scaring you?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

thestruggle
14-09-17, 20:53
You might find work helps to take your mind off things...the more time you have to sit at home and dwell on your fear, the worse you'll feel and then you'll probably never want to go back to work :) What are your colleagues like? Think you might feel better having people around you during the day? Would your manager be understanding if you went back and were given light duties for the first couple of days? I don't know how stressful you find your job in general (without the HA on top!)..

MissRobron
14-09-17, 21:22
My problem just now is frequent urination and I am not even sure if it's Anxiety as i am terrified that it is interstitial cystitis. I am at the stage where it's literally all I can think about. I can go pee and just minutes later my bladder is full again. I don't how I am going to handle this at work.

Sphincterclench
14-09-17, 21:40
I was off for about 3 months but while I was off I was enrolled in an intensive out patient program where I spent 6 hours a day 5 days a week in group and individual therapy (DBT, CBT, etc)

As one that also suffers from HA, The less time I spend between my ears the better everyone is, thats a bad neighborhood for me.

melfish
14-09-17, 21:57
I can relate. I'm not working at the moment either, and it's all I can do just to get through the day. I wake in a state of panic, heart racing, dry-retching, and it just goes from there. I can't be around people, because I can't even act like a human. I'm not sure what to do at this point, I am just so scared all the time.

nwoods92
15-09-17, 00:13
I actually feel most relaxed at work it's the weekends where I suffer, Mainly as I have too much time to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elliejane44
17-09-17, 18:18
Try to go to work . So better to have a distraction.
I have had interstitial cystitis before , it comes and goes. Have you been to see a urologist

Ellie

cattia
17-09-17, 21:39
Quite a few years ago I was convinced that I had IC. I used to get a lot of UTIs and would often be on antibotics, then once I had the usual symptoms of one but when I got my urine tested at the Dr there was no infection there. That sent me into an absolute spiral where I would constantly google, be reading horror stories on IC forums, changed my diet, all sorts. I had a lot of issues at work with the frequent urination thing. I'm a teacher so I can't just leave my class every five minutes. It was really hard as I literally would go and then instantly feel like I needed to go again.
What actually helped me in the end was setting myself a time limit. I would say to myself that no matter how badly I needed to go, I was going to wait half an hour. Having that time limit actually helped me because it stopped me obsessing so much about whether I needed to go or not. I knew that I would go every half hour and that took some of the stress away for me. In the end, the fear passed and so did the frequent urination. I could not have believed at the time that focusing on going to the toilet would produce such intense physical symptoms but now looking back, I can see that it did.

nwoods92
17-09-17, 22:27
I was off for about 3 months but while I was off I was enrolled in an intensive out patient program where I spent 6 hours a day 5 days a week in group and individual therapy (DBT, CBT, etc)

As one that also suffers from HA, The less time I spend between my ears the better everyone is, thats a bad neighborhood for me.

That's a long time for therapy did it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swajj
18-09-17, 10:18
Yes 6 hours a day/5 days a week is a lot of therapy. Were you in a group with other HA sufferers?