PDA

View Full Version : Hello to you all. Can i ask a question please

Chick100
15-09-17, 16:10
:) Hi.
My doctor just swapped me from Mirtazipina which I had been on for over 4 years, to paroxatina. Unfortunately because the paroxetina didn´t have the brand name seroxat on it, I didn´t realise it was the same thing I had a huge problem with in the past. Anyway after taking 2 and having a really horrible time I went back and he changed me again to Trazadone.
I took one last night and today feel terrible again.
It could be withdrawls from the Mirtazipina I´m thinking, but also worried that it was wrong to replace one with another over night.I am living in Spain, and had to speak to the doctor in Spanish, but I asked about the sudden change without any tailoring off, and he said I only needed to tail off if I was actually stopping a med.
Has anyone done the same thing, swapped from one type to another, and what was your experience please.

venusbluejeans
15-09-17, 16:16
Hiya Chick100 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Bigboyuk
15-09-17, 16:32
Hi Chick100 and welcome aboard! You need to start a new thread in the relevant section so it's more visible to other members and get more replies. Cheers

Chick100
15-09-17, 16:35
Hello venusbluejeans.

Thank you very much for you warm welcome. I´m not used to navigating sites like this so all information welcome.

Bigboyuk
15-09-17, 16:38
Hello venusbluejeans.

Thank you very much for you warm welcome. I´m not used to navigating sites like this so all information welcome.
I am actually Bigboyuk just a member like your self yes it's big forum but you will find your way around it :) Cheers

Chick100
15-09-17, 16:40
Hi Chick100 and welcome aboard! You need to start a new thread in the relevant section so it's more visible to other members and get more replies. Cheers

Hello Bigboyuk.

I´m still finding my way round so thank you so much for your help. :) Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by posting in relevant section?

Bigboyuk
15-09-17, 18:02
Hello Bigboyuk.

I´m still finding my way round so thank you so much for your help. :) Sorry if I sound dumb, but what do you mean by posting in relevant section? That's ok :) If you head to the home page of this site there is a index with sub forums like for different conditions. meds etc, were you can post your question on :) HTH

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-17, 18:18
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Here is the guide our doctors use in the UK:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=1651179592

As you can see, cross-tapering is the expected way with your change fom Mirt to Paroxetine.

Cross-tapering helps to smooth out the changes in neurotransmitter levels the drugs work on. Stopping one day & starting the next can do the same but will be harsher as it's a bit more abrupt...and a new med can bring it's side effect regardless so at a or cautious starting dose that will be easily to tolerate.

Half life plays a part too. Trazodone has a long half life which means it takes longer to reach it's steady-state in your blood plasma. So, coming off a shorter half life med for a longer one means the old med is decreasing faster but obviously there is still overlap with the new one, just that it takes longer for the med to settle.

Another factor is the dose you are on of the original drug. If higher than the lowest therapeutic dose, it may mean tapering down to avoid a harsher withdrawal. And the new med may be started at a lower dose on a cross-taper & built up. If the new med is sufficiently matched in terms of dosage for effect, it may not treat the anxiety as well...but this is where it takes time to understand as a doctor rushing ahead to match a dose can be a bad move too as the side effects can be intolerable.

Chick100
15-09-17, 19:02
Hi bigboyuk.

Thank you for helping me. I´m not sure if I am sending this to you or the also very kind mynameisTerry, who I also want to thank for his very helpful comment.
Seems like the sudden switch in meds is causing me to feel terrible. Wish i hadn´t bothered ! I felt better before

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Hi mynameisTerry.

Thank you so much for your very in depth comment. Im sure the sudden change from Mirtazapina to paroxatine and then Trazadone is responsible for making me feel so bad, hopefully the feeling will lesson before too long. Í´m just glad that I´m not having panic attacks as well. High anxiety, thoughts of suicide, hot flushes, dry mouth and unable to eat is enough for now.
The doctor spent a long time looking at his book on drugs before he came to his decision ( both times) and I questioned the speedy swap without tailing off one before starting another, but he said it would be fine, and that´s only done when you are actually stopping something altogether.
Anyway I think my best bet is to give it sometime to sort itself out, and take it from there.

MyNameIsTerry
15-09-17, 20:54
I think you are right there, whilst drugs may even be in the same class they have subtle differences in how much they influence lesser neurotransmitters (e.g. we think SSRI's are about Serotonin but some are more potent with Norepinephrine than others).

Moving from drug to drug means you will be all over the place.

Chick100
16-09-17, 08:26
Hi mynameisTerry.

Thank you once again for your support, it really is helping a lot.
I just looked at the link to the guide UK doctors use for stopping or changing meds, and the words running through my head right now are " Good god, what was the doctor here thinking!!!" He did tell me if I had any problem with the 2nd drug he prescribed, that he would refer me to a psychologist who apparently speaks good English, but as I´m sure its just the sudden change from Mirt to Paroxatine and then 2 days later to Trazadone, I´m going to ride it out for at least a few more days and then see.
I feel reassured by your very last comment, and as it supports my theory , it tells me that I´m not going completely off the rails, just reacting to the changes.
Last evening I felt OK, and even managed to eat a little something. Took my second dose of Traz later and only slept for about 4 hours again, that´s a downer, but today I feel a little less terrible than I did after taking the first dose, so feel I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks again for your support :)

PS. Am I responding to messages in the right way? I don´t understand quote and MR , in fact to be honest I am bamboozled with lots of things, and still trying to get to grips with how this all works. I´m still trying to find the " Sticky note" that gives all the advice on whats what!

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-17, 18:58
The how to stuff is on here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=60

There are other threads Admin have to explain certain functions. If you get stuck post a thread on that board and they are usually quick to respond.

Clicking QUOTE will insert the correct tags around the person's post and open you up on a new screen where you can type your response below.

MR allows you to QUOTE against multiple posts. To get it to work you click the MR under each one you want to reply to. You then press the QUOTE button on any of those posts and it brings up the same new screen as above just with all the selected posts in. You can then space them out and write in between each quoted post in the same way as you can with any copied text in any word processing software with the Space & Enter keys on your keyboard but make sure you do that at the end of each set of tags.

Don't worry about it, we're used to new people working the functions out. What you've done is fine anyway, you don't have to use the functions and you've been clear by writing the person's username at the head of your post.

Chick100
17-09-17, 08:18
I think you are right there, whilst drugs may even be in the same class they have subtle differences in how much they influence lesser neurotransmitters (e.g. we think SSRI's are about Serotonin but some are more potent with Norepinephrine than others).

Moving from drug to drug means you will be all over the place.

Hi :)

I don´t know whats happening as I posted a reply to you yesterday, but its not showing up! Probably me as I´m still learning how to do things here :doh:
I had a look at your link to UK, GP recommendations for changing from one drug to another, and just thought to myself " What was the doctor here thinking" when he swapped me straight over from Mirt, to Parox and then Traz! Your last comment supporting my theory that its just the changeover
which is making me feel so bad, really helped me a lot though. Thanks again.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

The how to stuff is on here:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=60

There are other threads Admin have to explain certain functions. If you get stuck post a thread on that board and they are usually quick to respond.

Clicking QUOTE will insert the correct tags around the person's post and open you up on a new screen where you can type your response below.

MR allows you to QUOTE against multiple posts. To get it to work you click the MR under each one you want to reply to. You then press the QUOTE button on any of those posts and it brings up the same new screen as above just with all the selected posts in. You can then space them out and write in between each quoted post in the same way as you can with any copied text in any word processing software with the Space & Enter keys on your keyboard but make sure you do that at the end of each set of tags.

Don't worry about it, we're used to new people working the functions out. What you've done is fine anyway, you don't have to use the functions and you've been clear by writing the person's username at the head of your post.

Hi MyNameisTerry

I just found this reply to me, and the message I sent you Yesterday, but I have no idea how !! :blush: It just appeared.