PDA

View Full Version : breathing isnt working

DonnaT
15-09-17, 21:19
ive been having a panic about my heart for the last few weeks. ive been on propanaol which I don't take everyday. I have been having quite bad palpatations which I believe is down to stress, ive been having a bad time with my marriage. anyway I had an ecg today all looked normal but im just waiting for the doctor to check it. I'm also due to have a blood test Monday to check.
The last few weeks I have been having a strange breathing sensation, it feels like I cant get enough air in me and this feeling lasts for a while. I know that breathlessness can be releted to the heart but now I'm worried I have a problem with my lungs or that when I have this blood test they will find I'm anemic and then I will start to question why I'm anemic????? I assess my breathing all day everyday, walking, going up stairs, I get out of breath a little when I wal up the stairs should I worry. as usual my head is doing laps and laps. has anyone else had this????

au Lait
15-09-17, 21:43
Yes, that's happened to me too. It's anxiety. I've come to realize that I'm in a state of nearly constant hyperventilation without really even being aware of it. I've subconsciously taught my body to breathe shallowly by living in a state of stress and anxiousness. I'm currently trying to reprogram myself to take normal, steady, deep breaths. The key is to try to move your stomach when you breathe, not just your chest. Heart palpitations and the chronic hyperventilating are both due to anxiety.

B3521
16-09-17, 00:05
ive been having a panic about my heart for the last few weeks. ive been on propanaol which I don't take everyday. I have been having quite bad palpatations which I believe is down to stress, ive been having a bad time with my marriage. anyway I had an ecg today all looked normal but im just waiting for the doctor to check it. I'm also due to have a blood test Monday to check.
The last few weeks I have been having a strange breathing sensation, it feels like I cant get enough air in me and this feeling lasts for a while. I know that breathlessness can be releted to the heart but now I'm worried I have a problem with my lungs or that when I have this blood test they will find I'm anemic and then I will start to question why I'm anemic????? I assess my breathing all day everyday, walking, going up stairs, I get out of breath a little when I wal up the stairs should I worry. as usual my head is doing laps and laps. has anyone else had this????Yep, join the anxiety club. I ended up in accident and emergency 2 weeks ago because I can't get a deep breath fully in and started thinking I was suffocating and having palpitations. They did numerous heart tests and chest Xray etc and found nothing, my oxygen in my blood was 100%! In the end they put it down to anxiety. This has been happening for over 2 months now and is apparently very common.

AnxietySuckss
17-09-17, 11:58
Yes, that's happened to me too. It's anxiety. I've come to realize that I'm in a state of nearly constant hyperventilation without really even being aware of it. I've subconsciously taught my body to breathe shallowly by living in a state of stress and anxiousness. I'm currently trying to reprogram myself to take normal, steady, deep breaths. The key is to try to move your stomach when you breathe, not just your chest. Heart palpitations and the chronic hyperventilating are both due to anxiety.

Hah. For me, shallow breathing works best. My breathing technique lies down to exhaling all the way and breathing juat as much as I need to. I don’t expand my lungs with a deep breath because that just gives me more oxygen than I need. If I exhale and breathe shallow (but not fast) it tells me I’m not running out of oxygen and my breathing is okay!

Cat64
17-09-17, 12:41
Like au lait I suffer constantly. I know from experience that it's my anxiety, and that I won't faint. If i try to control it it just seems to make me worse. I just have to let it run it's course. I then calm down gradually.

Cx

Lilliput
17-09-17, 13:23
Another hyper-ventilator here :huh:
Has anyone tried the re-breathing CO2 from a paper bag? I never have - partly because there's never a paper bag when you need one!
Long slow out-breath is a good technique. In yoga we do that as a calming thing with a shorter in-breath.