PDA

View Full Version : follow up on the Mountains and Molehills

johmac
16-09-17, 18:54
...I think I'm going to see if i can retire. I'm not too short of money but it may be a little tight. I think it's just another step in the right direction for me. Any others out there in the same boat.

Jo

Catherine S
16-09-17, 19:30
Hi Jo, I think it's certainly a different working climate out there these days. So few jobs and employers expect so much. No job is secure anymore. There was a time when you could train for a job and itd be guaranteed until you retired in your 60s. ..not nowadays.

I've been lucky in that ive been able to get jobs in administration most of my working life, and i'm now retired at 64. But my husband worked in the same industry since he was 16 with no problems, but since 2010 has been made redundant 3 times, the last time earlier this year just 2 years before he can get his pension. Fortunately he has a little redundancy money and we have some savings so this should get usthrough until 2018 when he gets his pension. It's so annoying that the company couldn't keep him on for the last 2 years to enable the pension pot to grow a little more :lac:

If you can retire Jo, then do it...who needs the stress of the unknown with jobs these days.

Cath S ☺

johmac
16-09-17, 19:57
Thanks Catherine, I know exactly what you mean. I was with a company 26 years and unceremoniously got let go. Nothing to show appreciation for a perfectly clean record.

Since then I have reinvented myself over again. Four jobs over the years and giving 110% but the result was always the same, another lay off. Not my fault ever but just the way it was. I find that it get harder to get back on the pony and we don't have the same resilience as we did before (I'm 61 so I know where you're coming from) Sorry for your husband, they think we are just disposable and give us our marching papers.

This boss called me back after 7 years (I worked for him from 2005-2010) and he made it all sound so rosy. A lot of work on the horizon and so glad to have me back. Asked me to find a 'clone' of myself so he could hire. I asked a lady I know and no follow up and now it's not going to happen and I feel bad. He also let a lady go who was permanent and re hired her as a temp. Then he said he made a presentation and it was the 'best ever'. So much of this I know feel is guff and he's just hoping I will stay. If he was up front at the beginning I would be ok but now it just looks so phoney.

Yes the climate is very different from when we were lasses. I'm glad I'm at the other end of it. Those young people will have to fight tooth and nail and there is no long term staying like with us.

Nice to chat with you Catherine.

Jo