PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen a neurologist for involuntary movements?

emanticoff73
16-09-17, 19:28
Just curious. I have an appt Monday with a neurologist for involuntary movements. Guess you can call the myoclonic jerks. Happens mostly at rest. But I have begun to have full body pain. Especially in my shoulders down to my finger tips. Could be from strength tests but not sure. Just wanted to know what your experience was and if you have any useful information. Thank you. I have a doctor phobia so this Is a big deal this appointment. Scared I will be told I have some degenerative disorder I have read about. All these symptoms , headache, twitches, muscle jerks and started from one day to the next. Never twitched in my life. SO STRANGE.

KK77
16-09-17, 19:49
I think you will be told that you are fine but suffering from the effects of chronic anxiety and stress, which is what we have been telling you here. But no one can deny you the right to speak to a health professional who can hopefully put your mind at rest.

I know you've had some tough love advice from some of us here but I wish you all the best and hope seeing a neurologist can help you finally move forward with your life.

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-17, 21:14
Anxiety disorders are a listed reason for myoclonics funnily enough. Everyone gets them though, I ca remember getting them long before my anxiety came along.

Anxiety is a powerful beast. Until I looked into my OCD I wasn't aware you could experience tic or non tick related OCD. I had tics at the worst of mine.

melfish
16-09-17, 21:18
Terry, what is a tic exactly? Is it a slow, repetitive movement, or something more abrupt and jerky?

MyNameIsTerry
16-09-17, 21:27
Terry, what is a tic exactly? Is it a slow, repetitive movement, or something more abrupt and jerky?

This will explain it for you, melfish:

http://www.ocdtypes.com/tourettes-tics.php

That page is about tic disorders, not OCD tics, but it explains what the actual tics are like. I did some grimacing as well but it was mostly head jerking. Later on, when my andrenaline levels are going a bit mad (only has thos sincer this med) I do have clenching movements, grimacing, etc but that goes as soon as the adrenaline calms down. I saw adrenaline because I feel different to when my anxiety ramps up.

When I had mine I was making involuntary head bobbing movements when conducting compulsions. It was only at the most frustrating time and it's long gone now.

I think they are finding that tic related disorders are found in the same areas of the brain as OCD and that might be where there can be some connection. But there are various tic disorders, it's not just TS as we see more commonly in the media.

If you see TS sufferers, it seems to be more jerky, quick movements.

melfish
16-09-17, 21:36
Thanks, Terry. I must be thinking of a spasm

nivekc251
17-09-17, 11:28
I was having myoclonic jerks while awake. It was during a very stressful ALS fear fueled time. I would be sitting and all of a sudden I would jerk my arm or leg or shoulders. It really bothered me at night and would keep me up for hours. I eventually calmed down and I'm doing great. Every now and then I'll get restless leg syndrome but it's nothing a Xanax can't handle . Try to relax I know it's easier said than done but it helped me. :yesyes:

emanticoff73
17-09-17, 15:16
I'm having full body PAINS and aches. Ibuprofen doesn't touch it. Especially in my shoulders arms, hands and fingers. Shooting lightening pain. My fingers feel like they have been smashed. I was doing strength test with my fingers but can that have made the pain so bad? I don't want to sound dumb
But I have been taking care of a baby for a year and now I'm starting to get pain. I didn't have pain before and I was doing more. Last night while in bed I jerked up so high off my bed, my leg came crashing down and on to a wooden side board. So scary and Linda Blair(excorcist) like. I just feel EXTREMELY doomed. I am cutting down on my ativan to almost nothing. Can that cause tremors inside. And extreme feeling of being LOONEY. I feel like I want to run out of my skin. I cry all day long, from the moment I wake up till I'm in bed. I feel like my brain is damaged. I was fine then bam not fine.

Annaboodle
17-09-17, 17:03
What dosage of Ativan were you taking before? Hope that your doctor gave you a tapering schedule for stopping if you were taking it for any length of time?

nivekc251
17-09-17, 17:28
It could be a pinched nerve in your spine. Holding,, rocking, and feeding can do a lot to your spine. It's usually bad posture and I'm sure you can't count the hours that you've done all of those thongs. You sound terrified so I would suggest seeing a neurologist tell him your worries if MS and tell him you would really like imaging on your spine. I don't know how you feel about chiropractors but if you know a good one try it. They could tell u if your spine is misaligned.Remember a pinched nerve is more common than MS and it all happened after caring for a child.

emanticoff73
18-09-17, 00:07
I have been on and off ativan for a year. But re entry about for 4 months in was taking it almost everyday. Sometimes 0.5 a day and 1 mg once a day or o.5 twice a day. My mom gives them to me most of the time and my doc recently gave me a months worth if 1 mg to take once a day. I think the ativan has screwed my nervous system up. Also handling a baby, and carrying heavy stuff a lot. I also am very sleep deprived. My daughter had FEED, AND CHOKED A LOT. So i decided to sleep with her in my son's twin bed. I have been doing that for 15 months. She's up twice a night and is up for good between 4 and 5 am. It's been rough to say the least
You guys are so nice and compassionate. Thank you for your replies I have gotten myself really thinking I'm going to end up in a wheel chair or no good to my children. The pressure of having children is beyond. Your mortality is front and center EVERYDAY. I look at there little faces and cry out of fear of not being here. Not much family on both sides so my husband would be alone. This is my biggest phobia. I don't live anymore I just fear death everyday. Maybe it's hormones. Just hit 44. God I hope so. Again thank you guys