PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever harmed themselves accidentally from HA habits?

AnxietySuckss
17-09-17, 11:43
I’ve had a small wheeze when breathing out very hard for the past year just on my right side. It started off last year with a feeling that my left/right side didn’t “feel right” in my chest/throat area. That feeling did go away but the wheeze stayed. I don’t think it ever got worse but my health anxiety always told me “it’s getting worse and you have lung cancer.” So for the past year I’ve been habitually “forcing air out of my lungs” like I’m coughing but not quite a cough to see if the wheeze was getting worse. Recently it’s felt really bad so I’ve been checking my swallowing too.
Now comes to the self-injuring part. I was at a hair stylist and they leaned me back in to the washing bowl so my head was cranked way back in to the thing. I had to swallow so I did and it felt SO tight on my right side. I felt as if something ripped? Ever since then my right side of my throat has felt so weird and burps come up the right side only and food feels like it only goes down the right side. I did end up having a chest xray after a year of this wheezing and it came back clear.
Oh and my right vocal cord is hoarse and I’m sick with a bug that is only affecting my right side.

Beckybecks
17-09-17, 12:41
I have HA and whenever I get a new symptom, which is often ... I find my mind focuses on that symptom so that the pain feels far worse than it actually is or the lump in my throat feels huge when it's actually just a nerve ending gone wild. Whatever it is at the time I know my mind magnifies it out of all proportion and it lasts much longer than it should.

Secondly, yes, I have harmed myself though my HA habits. When feeling nauseous due to anxiety I would force myself to vomit as a sort of release. Eventually I caused a tear in my esophagus and started vomiting blood. Which cause massive panic for me.

Anxiety causes so many symptoms. If you can't believe it's anxiety related then go to the Doctor. get some reassurance that it's not serious then address your anxiety issues. The longer you worry about it the worse it will seem to you.