PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop worrying

smoothie
17-09-17, 12:01
Hello everyone! I'm new here.

Okay, a bit of backstory. The first time it happened was a school trip to London, the second when my dog died, the third after my chemistry exam, and the fourth before my biology exam, and its been constant since the biology exam (23rd May 2017). I felt extremely nauseous and couldn't get myself off the toilet because my bowels were in turbo mode! :scared15: The first three times it didn't last too long but all my symptoms have been constant since the biology exam. These include

Stomach Pain
Weight loss (ive dropped 14lb or a stone)
Chest pain
More aware of heartbeat
Pain in my body (arms, legs, a new place every day! Mostly left arm.)
Change in bowel habits
Headaches
More frequent urinating some days
Feeling of something in throat
Nausea, sometimes I vomit, although it's almost always clear and very little.
I've also noticed what everyone's telling me is fat/muscle in my abdomen but i've never noticed it before, although the weight loss could explain it.
etc.

Basically all general anxiety symptoms. I've worried about at least six different cancers, a heart attack, meningitis, and a blister getting a deadly infection! I'm constantly poking my body. The disease of the week is deep vein thrombosis/sudden death syndrome, as i've started university and have some time, even up to three hours, sitting around between classes. Even though i'm susceptible to dvt because my mum had it when she was pregnant with my little sister (though that was after our holiday to Greece). Logically i don't have it because theres no pain, swelling, or warmth. Of course, you google (I know I shouldn't) and you see "this killer condition doesn't always show symptoms and you'll die without warning!!" And media is terrible.

I did get several blood tests taken because I do have a family history of hyperthyroidism, I got my thyroid levels tested, a full blood count, a blood sugar level, and a coeliac disease test and everything came back perfectly normal. I'm also a very healthy person that barely ever gets ill. Logically I can explain why I don't have *insert deadly disease here* but my brain just won't accept it. :weep: Strangely, even though I've been like this for three months the health anxiety didn't show up until about a month and a half/2 months ago.

I can't confide in people because everyone just gets angry at me. Yes, I can see how my constant worrying can be annoying but I'd rather not be yelled at when i'm convinced i'm dying. Luckily i've booked an appointment with the university councillor so hopefully I can start to feel better.

I guess the fact that i'm only 18 plays into it too. The thought of dying at this very young age (as unlikely as it is) and my whole family and friends living the rest of their lives, decades, without me is such a terrifying thought. I also have an intense fear of pain and also venophobia (fear of the heart and veins and stuff) so I'm worried about a heart attack the most.

I really hope I feel better soon.:)

Bike Rider
17-09-17, 12:21
See your GP for some meds to get you through this period, Propranolol before an exam or Amitriptyline to ease your tensions, both are non-addictive and can be used as and when.

Good idea to see the counselor, tell them everything.

smoothie
17-09-17, 12:27
The thing is, even if meds would make me feel better i'd probably be worrying my head off about the possible side effects! :shrug:

AnxietySuckss
17-09-17, 12:32
The thing is, even if meds would make me feel better i'd probably be worrying my head off about the possible side effects! :shrug:

The side effects of anti-anxiety medication is very rare. It usually goes like this:

1) take medication first time
2) “symptoms” appear or old ones get worse
3) attribute it to “side effects”
4) you’ve been googling the side effects the whole time and have been looking for the side effect symptoms speficially and think you have them but don’t

That’s my experience at least. Everyone’s is different. :p

Bike Rider
17-09-17, 12:43
Most side effects are in the mind. But they may help through this stage and both are not given to side effects. Ask your councilor.