PDA

View Full Version : mumhas breast cancer stage 4 and my HA is overwhelming

AussieWorrier
18-09-17, 10:23
Hi all
My mums breast cancer has spread to her lungs... she was diagnosed 6 years ago and back then it was stage 2B. I'm ver upset of course and also very worried about my own health now. I'm 51 and I've had two mammograms at 47 and 49 yet I'm terrified now of having another one in case they find something and being exposed to radiation from the X-rays themselves ...in which case I'd be worried I exposed myself to it ... do any other women feel the same ?? I've become obsessed with examine my breast during showering to the point I dread showering now ... these thoughts are consuming me and I can't relax at all... what to do?

swajj
18-09-17, 10:29
So sorry to hear about your mum. Of course it is scary having tests done but it is important to have them so that problems can be identified early. The survival rates for BC are very high. So please have the mammo yearly and ask for a breast ultrasound to be done at the same time. In addition to identifying problems early you will also have peace of mind.

AussieWorrier
18-09-17, 10:48
So sorry to hear about your mum. Of course it is scary having tests done but it is important to have them so that problems can be identified early. The survival rates for BC are very high. So please have the mammo yearly and ask for a breast ultrasound to be done at the same time. In addition to identifying problems early you will also have peace of mind.

But according to many websites, most cancers are not diagnosed by imaging and are found by the patients themselves. Ive been in a situation where I went to the dr for irregular periods last year and they did an ultrasound of my uterus etc and while there was nothing sinister they found what is called adenomyosis which wasnt causing me any problems at all and many women have it. I worry about incidental findings and basicall over diagnosing and treating and as far as I understand, it doesnt mean a better prognosis.

Catherine S
18-09-17, 12:05
In finding nothing sinister on your ultrasound, they did find an adenomyosis...which kind of contradicts what you said about imaging not showing anything up! Its good that it was nothing sinister but it still showed up on the scan, they saw it and knew what it was. Despite what you say alot of cancers are found via scans, CT scans included. We can go to the doctor with a lump, but it's the biopsy and the scans that tells them if the lump is cancer or not.

I'm sorry about your mum, and hope her treatment helps her. She will need you to be strong for her...she's the one with a diagnosed cancer, while youve been given the all clear so be thankful for that. I'd also say don't believe everything you read on websites.

Take care
Cath S x